Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect Interview

The Casey Hudson interview on GameInformer is a video conversation with BioWare's director of Mass Effect about the origins of the sci-fi RPG series. Word is: "Check out the video below to learn how the project began and why Mass Effect's director doubts a trilogy of this size and scope will ever happen again." Thanks Darth Guybrush.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 28, 2011, 12:44 bobbyric

It's fun to dream... but sadly this always turns out to be Peter Molyneaux syndrome, hinting at awesome things that basically equal some pretty normal things we've seen before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 28, 2011, 04:16 Sho

I have fairly high confidence that the consequences in ME3 will be much more profound, considering they make the point in nearly every interview that they can go to town on that this time around because it's the final chapter and doesn't need to end on a defined point for everyone (although the critical part of my mind goes "what, you really want to make it harder for you to make more games in the franchise?" at that point).

I do expect we'll have the Rachni figure into a plot in a significant way, and of course they've hinted many times (and again in this interview) at romance choices in the two existing games having major consequences in the third.

Also, I can't agree with bobbyric at all - went overboard?! I want more of that!

9. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 28, 2011, 02:20 Jerykk

Going go have to go with Jerykk on this one, though I personally think it's going to be more of a news bulletin type of thing. "System X was spared reaper culling today, thanks to the intervention of the Rachni, previously thought extinct." etc. etc.
The reason I don't think it's going to directly affect the gameplay and "Shepard's story" that much, is that they have to account for people who never played the prequels.. And even as someone who did, I don't really love the idea of having the fate of the universe decided by something I did in a game back in 2007 (or by doing the storyboard-thing).

I love the idea of having consequences carry over into sequels. However, the reality is that it takes a lot of work to make meaningful consequences. You have to account for many more variables and then create a ton of content to flesh out consequences for each one. As in ME2, DAO: Awakening and DA2, I suspect the consequences in ME3 will be trivial things that simply acknowledge your previous choices rather than make any significant changes. The Rachni may make a brief appearance and help you out during the final level or something, but it won't really change the path you take or the enemies you face.

8. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 18:47 Draugr

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 15:04:
JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:37:
Yeah, this seems like a bit of patting themselves on the back.

I mean, c'mon, it's not like it's Fallout or something, where your choices really have any impact. Nobody seriously believes, after DA2, that their ME2 choices are going to carry over in any significant fashion, do they?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Why wouldn't they? DA was never really designed to carry anything over, especially since in DA2 they're telling basically a completely different story. ME was designed from the ground up to be altered by the choices you make.

It may turn out to be nothing but a bunch of emails again, but I think we'll be surprised by some of the stuff that carries over.

Creston

I couldn't agree more, just because some choice in me1 didn't have a lot of bearing in me2 shouldn't necessarily surprise anyone, its a trilogy, and all those variables don't need to play out just because it's the sequel. As Creston said, I think we'll see a lot of consequences play out in the third one, with variables being recalled from the first and second game. I'm sure the e-mail style callbacks will be in there to some degree, but I'm not terribly worried about it.

DA was always supposed to have a carry over, save-wise. I just think sometime after ME2 released the DA team got steered in a different direction, hence the main DA writer leaving, the changes we've seen, etc. This made those decisions made in the last game pretty much insignificant.

I still think Bioware will be interested in having transferable saves, but I think it will be more for a consistency for the player in a series, so more like the DA save carry, as opposed to mass effect where it is part of the story itself and the decisions you make have a bearing on the outcome of the subsequent story told in game.

7. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 18:46 peteham

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:35:
bobbyric wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:14:
well that quote is skewed a little on context, he's not saying there's never going to another game of this scope. he's saying there's never going to be a game that carries your personal choices between 3 different 30+ hour games.

honestly they went overboard, I could hardly remember my choices in MS1 I'd get ship e-mails and meet characters from MS1 and I was like "Did I do that? Do I know you? what?" The only two big decisions that seemed to matter was krogran, love interest, and ending... But the ending you chose really didn't matter.

Don't forget that there's another game coming where these choices will resonate. I'm 99% sure that killing the Rachni in the first game is going to have pretty hefty repercussions in ME3 (as the Rachni can undoubtedly just swarm a reaper and tear it to shreds.)

Of course, Jerykk thinks that saving the Rachni queen means you'll get an email from her in the third game, so we'll see. :)
Going go have to go with Jerykk on this one, though I personally think it's going to be more of a news bulletin type of thing. "System X was spared reaper culling today, thanks to the intervention of the Rachni, previously thought extinct." etc. etc.
The reason I don't think it's going to directly affect the gameplay and "Shepard's story" that much, is that they have to account for people who never played the prequels.. And even as someone who did, I don't really love the idea of having the fate of the universe decided by something I did in a game back in 2007 (or by doing the storyboard-thing).

Also, I hope they postpone to February like ME2 if they feel the need. It would be a shame to end the trilogy in the manner of DA2...

6. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 18:21 bobbyric

I would be surprised... If I could remember. Don't get me wrong, I love all biowaregames, ME especially.

But I don't even remember what this Rachni queen thing is that you speak of.

Choices and people you meet in a game just don't have the same effect as the real ones, although Bioware does a good job of trying, I'd rather the game have 15% more content than influence something I can't remember from 3 years ago.

5. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 15:04 Creston

JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:37:

I mean, c'mon, it's not like it's Fallout or something, where your choices really have any impact. Nobody seriously believes, after DA2, that their ME2 choices are going to carry over in any significant fashion, do they?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Why wouldn't they? DA was never really designed to carry anything over, especially since in DA2 they're telling basically a completely different story. ME was designed from the ground up to be altered by the choices you make.

It may turn out to be nothing but a bunch of emails again, but I think we'll be surprised by some of the stuff that carries over.

Creston

4. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 14:37 JoeNapalm

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

3. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 14:35 Creston

bobbyric wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:14:
well that quote is skewed a little on context, he's not saying there's never going to another game of this scope. he's saying there's never going to be a game that carries your personal choices between 3 different 30+ hour games.

honestly they went overboard, I could hardly remember my choices in MS1 I'd get ship e-mails and meet characters from MS1 and I was like "Did I do that? Do I know you? what?" The only two big decisions that seemed to matter was krogran, love interest, and ending... But the ending you chose really didn't matter.

Don't forget that there's another game coming where these choices will resonate. I'm 99% sure that killing the Rachni in the first game is going to have pretty hefty repercussions in ME3 (as the Rachni can undoubtedly just swarm a reaper and tear it to shreds.)

Of course, Jerykk thinks that saving the Rachni queen means you'll get an email from her in the third game, so we'll see.

I was hoping that this choice thing would become a staple of RPGs, but it's likely a fuckton of extra work for something most people seem to care little about, so sadly it'll most likely go the way of the dodo.

Creston

2. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 14:14 bobbyric

1. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 13:51 Creston

why Mass Effect's director doubts a trilogy of this size and scope will ever happen again

/Sad Keanu

Creston

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo