Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LucasArts Signs Unreal Engine 3 Deal

LucasArts announces they've signed a studio-wide multiyear deal to use Epic's Unreal Engine 3 for multiple projects on all the game's supported platforms. "LucasArts is now primed to capitalize on Unreal Engine 3's ability to scale across platforms, from mobile, through PC and console all the way up to the next generation of games," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. "We can't wait to see what happens when LucasArts combines their talented workforce and amazing intellectual properties with Unreal Engine 3."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 27, 2011, 01:29 siapnar

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 17:07:
I'd still like to see another Republic Commando (which was a Unreal engine game), but I'd pay 80 bucks for Raven to make another Jedi Knight/Academy game with the engine.
For the love of god, yes

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 21:14 Bumpy

LEGO games!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you'll get Tie Fighter....the Lego version.

Jedi Knight...Lego version.

Tons and tons of Lego games, that'll lure back hardened PC gamers.

25. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 20:45 DNForever

The right engine is probably very inspiring to developers. Just look what Unreal did for DNF!!  

24. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 19:44 Cutter

Who cares? LA stopped making good games a very long time ago. They have no idea how to capitalize on their IP anymore.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 19:16 killer_roach

Fion wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 15:41:
Somewhat off topic can we get another damn game engine out that isn't proprietary? I'm so sick of Ued games.

In-house engines are proprietary, too... expecting a major game developer to use an open-source engine? *laughs*

Besides, what's the problem with Unreal Engine, lazy art designers notwithstanding?

22. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 19:04 DangerDog

Well, so much for expecting a Xwing / Tie Fighter game.  

21. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 17:11 DNForever

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 17:07:
I'd still like to see another Republic Commando (which was a Unreal engine game), but I'd pay 80 bucks for Raven to make another Jedi Knight/Academy game with the engine.

I would too, the first two Jedi Knight games were really good, and the first one was great for multiplayer.

20. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 17:07 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 17:06 Kosumo

Monkey Island where Guybrush goes crazy and shoots up everyone. (in a tie in, he becomes Darth Guybrush) (<- or would that be Threepwood?)  

18. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 16:23 baltar

Some of the best games from Lucasarts were farmed out as it is - Jedi outcast/Academy for Raven, Petroglyph for Empire at War, Pandemic for Battlefront, Bioware for KOTOR, Obsidian for KOTOR2.. Might not be a bad thing at all..

I share a lot of love for Outlaws, but I don't want a sequel - Them making a sequel to outlaws is like someone making a sequel to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - they are going to screw it up.

I'm all game for a Tie Fighter sequel or a Republic Commando sequel..

17. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 16:22 Rosco

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 13:40:
Vegas is laying 3 to 2 odds on "Not a fucking lot."
Creston

And, done in 1

Consoles are schwag.

16. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 16:08 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 14:50:
Didn't I read somewhere that they fired all those people to concentrate on farming out their IP and game ideas to other companies to make? Perhaps this deal covers their publishing agreements and not strictly in-house development.

I could easily see them farming out a Republic Commando or Battlefront sequel to a developer like Timegate or Digital Extremes in the current climate. UE3 would be perfect for that.
I wondered this too. Maybe if they farm out projects, the license to dev on the engine will be included. So LA criticisms aside, this deal still may be a good thing.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

15. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 15:50 Esoteric

Grim Fandango using the UE3! Manny like you've never seen him before!  

14. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 15:41 Fion

Outlaws sequel vs TIE Fighter sequel hmmm. I'd go with Tie Fighter every time.

Somewhat off topic can we get another damn game engine out that isn't proprietary? I'm so sick of Ued games.

13. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 15:41 necrosis

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 14:33:
Agreed Acleacius. Look at what they did to the The Force Unleashed team and that game was fairly successful. LucasArts has a history of literally doing the opposite of what precedent would normally dictate.
Force Unleashed was fairly successful? I know Star Wars nuts that shit on that turd of a game.

PC requiring a "$4,000" computer aside.

Also by "scale well" means we are going to make the game really dumb for console users then do a half assed port to PC 6 months later.

12. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 15:14 Shok

Acleacius wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 14:30:
Also haven't most of the developers who did the older games like Outlaws and Tie Fighter left LA anyway?

Yeah, you are probably right. The last time I googled Darren Stinnet (exec. prod. of Outlaws) he was working on Star Trek online or something. The other guys who worked on the levels, etc. are probably long gone too.

I almost worked at LucasArts. Darren emailed me back in '96 that he liked a multiplayer map I did for Outlaws called Rattlesnake Ravine and invited me out to interview. It was a rough interview but even if I was offered the job it wouldn't have payed much. It was a blast to meet the developers of Outlaws and see the JK2 stuff they were working on before it came out though.

11. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 14:50 StingingVelvet

Didn't I read somewhere that they fired all those people to concentrate on farming out their IP and game ideas to other companies to make? Perhaps this deal covers their publishing agreements and not strictly in-house development.

I could easily see them farming out a Republic Commando or Battlefront sequel to a developer like Timegate or Digital Extremes in the current climate. UE3 would be perfect for that.

10. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 14:33 Verno

Agreed Acleacius. Look at what they did to the The Force Unleashed team and that game was fairly successful. LucasArts has a history of literally doing the opposite of what precedent would normally dictate.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 14:30 Acleacius

I don't know if this will make a difference, LA has had tons of opportunity over the last 10 years to make new games on their IPs.

As far as RPGs go, only companies outside of LA have had any success. Such as Bioware and Obsidian, in both of these cases when LA got involved (e.g. the stupid development time limits) it cost quality and sales.

Also haven't most of the developers who did the older games like Outlaws and Tie Fighter left LA anyway? LA seemed to have shrunk their developer crew to nothing, iirc. They are such a bloated and red tape corporation they never seem to get anything done, certainly haven't seen many quality products lately.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 14:13 Shok

For the umpteenth time in the Blue's forums I shall say again MAKE OUTLAWS SEQUEL

kthxbye

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo