Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

(Free) Minecraft Mod Plans

The Word of Notch has details on mod support in Minecraft, the indie sensation that people dig so much it now boasts over seven million registered users and over two million sales. The post outlines plans to offer modders the source code and introduce a certificate system to allow users to choose which developers they feel they can trust. The original plan was to charge a fee for this which would not be "prohibitively expensive," but a pretty rapid post followed backtracking on this unpopular concept, as Notch says: "Because of overwhelming feedback, the cost of the mod api access will be 0 dollars. Our intention wasn’t to make money off selling the access, only to ensure some level of quality. Obviously that wasn’t the most popular idea in the world. ;)"

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. removed Jun 28, 2011, 09:14 santomon

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 28, 2011, 09:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 27, 2011, 10:19 justice7

CommunistHamster wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 20:20:
Do you like pixel art or voxel sculptures? Or building a (admittedly completely pointless) castle? Then minecraft is for you.

If you want a world to survive in or an actual game... look elsewhere.

If you want to be hand held and shown what to do, look elsewhere.
Minecraft is exactly what you make it, turn on monsters on a multiplayer server and use the bukkit mods to make it super difficult. Survival multiplayer sandbox is what you get.

8. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 22:32 Vulkan

I hope this includes support for multiplayer, as right now multiplayer mods are extremely sparse other than what you can get with bukkit and its plugin system.  

7. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 20:20 CommunistHamster

Do you like pixel art or voxel sculptures? Or building a (admittedly completely pointless) castle? Then minecraft is for you.

If you want a world to survive in or an actual game... look elsewhere.

6. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 19:50 Talisorn

Wolfen wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 13:18:
Notch and his team = Awesome

+ lots!

5. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 13:18 Wolfen

Notch and his team = Awesome  

4. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 13:11 mazling

It certainly is amazing, and it certainly is not for everyone.
There needs to be more going on in the world - more dungeons, more ruins, perhaps villages of AI players. Wanderlust types like myself should wait a few months.
But for creativity, it is grand. Things will look blocky and weird but I think it is charming ... and of course, you can mod your game to have higher res textures, and glsl witchcraft.

3. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 12:10 Elessar

My brother and I picked Minecraft back up after letting it cook for awhile. Last night, deep beneath the earth, I watched him catch on fire, run over a ledge to get to water only to fall into more lava. All his stuff incinerated. Too damn funny.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

2. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 11:14 Fion

It's the best Indie game ever made. Period. But it also isn't for everyone. If you feel lost in games that don't give you any immediate goals, you might not find Minecraft as amazing as others do. If you are creative in nature and would love to just explore and build cool things, you'll love the game.

This news is fantastic. Notch's updates have been slowing in frequency and the updates haven't been as jam packed with goodies as they used to be. He's working on a new game so it makes sense that his attention isn't fully on Minecraft anymore. So releasing the mod tools for free to anyone will increase the quantity of content for the game a thousand fold. In a few months we'll have mods for everything, and with the free form nature of the game who knows what kinds of mods we'll be seeing!

1. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 11:07 Fibrocyte

I'm about to buy this game. What do you think about that?  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo