Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Brink Multiplayer

A Missive From The End Of Genre: How Brink Works on Gamasutra is an extensive article that hears from Splash Damage creative director Richard Ham about Brink, their upcoming shooter, also hearing from Irrational's Ken Levine and Kaos' Rex Dickson on the topic of single-player versus multiplayer design in the FPS genre. On that topic, they have a separate article about how Brink will attempt to exert a single-player level of control over multiplayer gaming by providing an automated squad commander function: "The Commander is primarily a tool to help coordinate strangers who may not be able to work together effectively. But once you've reached that level of socialness with others in Brink, you can get everything you need from them directly, and in some cases, the HUD."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 27, 2011, 01:11 Jerykk

I like a lot of the ideas the game has, especially the enhanced traversal. However, the actual combat looks terribly boring. Same, uninspired weapons as every other shooter these days. Handguns? Check. Shotguns? Check. SMGs? Check. Assault rifles? Check. Sniper rifles? Check. Each one is used the exact same way: point at enemy head, pull trigger. First player to land a hit wins. Where's the variety? Where are the epic duels that last for minutes?

Instead of having 30 weapons that are only superficially different, I'd rather have 5-8 weapons that are completely unique and require completely different sets of skills to use effectively. That's what makes combat interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 26, 2011, 09:25 SpectralMeat

Krovven wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 20:45:
There will have to be a demo before I even consider buying this

Same here.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 26, 2011, 03:50 Cornholio

Ugh I can't stand these slow ass shooters... I'll keep on going with my strategy and rpg games.
I miss the days of quake.

14. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 20:45 Krovven

Hmmm, I havent been following Brink really, other than I liked the artstyle. I thought there was going to be a single player story campaign, but from the comments here it sounds like this is multiplayer only.

There will have to be a demo before I even consider buying this just for multiplayer.

13. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 19:38 4D-Boxing

Thanks for the link.

Might pre-order this one. Stopped pre-prdering games cause of all the bad games (MW2, BO, Homefront, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein etc...)

At least these guys are not moving backwards. This one has dedicated servers and we can host our own.

If they release the mod tools and SDK in a timely fashion and the games sells well, this could put an end to this no dedicated server nonsense or rent a server BS.

12. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 18:54 Bucky

Aye, thanks for that link. Brink looks to be the game that I'd hoped it would be.  

11. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 18:06 Cutter

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:00:
They haven't been evasive, they've been pretty upfront about it even. At some point they want to release either a map editor or full blown SDK but not until the game is finished and they ensure it's had a smooth launch. The game ships with 10 maps which is more than enough for a start, the maps themselves are damned huge to boot.

Really? I was searching their forums the other day and a I saw a lot of people asking the same questions and a lot of people getting this similar sort of reply but nothing official, nor could anyone point to an official source for this. So this is going to be a very short SP game in other words. Oh well, as long the maps are good. Just look at CS I spent years basically playing Italy, Dust, Office and Aztec.

Edit: Thanks for the clip Danger, that looks insanely funxxor.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2011, 18:19.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 17:37 DangerDog

The muffling of the audio or whatever that is when being shot is annoying as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooHzXikL5c

9. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 16:12 Verno

It's a mishmash of modes and ideas from both their previous titles and other games out there. It just looks really refined and has something interesting for most people. It also eschews the Call of Duty crowd pleaser game mechanics for the most part. A big focus on objective completion, teamwork while still retaining fun FPS elements. Game looks awesome, watch some videos sometime.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

8. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 15:55 SpectralMeat

Wasn't the previous game from these guys Enemy Territory: Quake Wars kind of similar idea as this game? Don't give me wrong Brink looks awesome and it definitely have a distinct art style but other than that I am not sure what else is there this game got going for it that hasn't been done before.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 15:13 w00tie

If you want a great example of how this is going to work then just download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's free and uses the same objective-based combat.  

6. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 15:00 Trevellian

Agree with Verno, if you remember Assault Mode in the old UT games, that is what I interpret these maps to be like, fight your way from one side to the other, hence the necessity for a Soldier to have demo charges etc. Seems like a massive assault mode to me. Which I'm fine with.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 14:44 Verno

They have to be big to accommodate the objective based components used and if you watch any MP videos on youtube I think you'll find that there is still more than enough action to satisfy people. The terrain navigation is very fast due to the smart system as well. I'm more concerned with weapon variety and stuff but I guess we'll see how that shakes out.  

4. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 14:38 ASeven

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:00:
They haven't been evasive, they've been pretty upfront about it even. At some point they want to release either a map editor or full blown SDK but not until the game is finished and they ensure it's had a smooth launch. The game ships with 10 maps which is more than enough for a start, the maps themselves are damned huge to boot.

That's actually not a good thing, huge maps, considering this game is locked into 8vs8 battles, a 16-player cap does not need huge maps.

3. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 14:00 Verno

2. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 13:55 Cutter

All I want to know at this point is how long the game is - they still have revealed anything about the ARK besides the 2 areas. And if there are going to be mod tools. The fact they've been so evasive about this bothers me a great deal.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: On Brink Multiplayer Apr 25, 2011, 13:43 Frijoles

I'd buy Brink right now if it had a single player campaign. Hopefully a demo comes out so I can give the MP a try.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo