Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Interview

Gearbox's Pitchford On Gaming's Grown-Up World on Gamasutra converses with Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford about Duke Nukem Forever, and why he feels there isn't "a line" games shouldn't cross. "Is there a line [to cross]? If our medium is art, how could there be a line?" he posits. "How could we allow there to be a line, and who gets to decide what the line is? That's a very slippery slope -- there should not be a line."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:36 nin

If that's the way things are going to be then I need a new hobby.

Well, ok! See ya!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:33 Verno

Ask people who are in prison for doing things like that in real life what their favorite games are. That would be a good study. Oh Wait someone already did:

And I'll ask the millions of people not in prison for doing things that they saw in videogames while we're at it too Jester

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:28 Matshock

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:20:
Duke Nukem 3D had some interesting gameplay ideas at the time but a large part of its appeal was it's "shock jock" factor so I'm not sure why you would have ever preordered DNF in the first place.

It was a much better LAN game than DOOM II.

Shadow Warrior was awesome BTW.

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:26 Matshock

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:17:

The point being that Duke is slapping the ass of girls that aren't asking to have their ass slapped, unlike his wife (or so I'd hope.)

The point being that one is a fictional videogame character and the other is a real world scenario.

Quite a difference between those two concepts. People incapable of separating reality from fiction usually have other problems we should be worrying about rather than their social sensitivities. Is it ok for you to slap a random womans ass? No. It is ok for Duke to do it? Yes, just like it's ok for characters in movies and televisions to do things you would never do in the real world.

Ask people who are in prison for doing things like that in real life what their favorite games are. That would be a good study. Oh Wait someone already did:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/killer-nudist-bond-over-video-games-in-prison/

GTA got a mention.

This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:20 Verno

Duke Nukem 3D had some interesting gameplay ideas at the time but a large part of its appeal was it's "shock jock" factor so I'm not sure why you would have ever preordered DNF in the first place.  

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:20 Matshock

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:04:
Matshock wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 12:57:
Back off the woman beating, it's not cool. It wasn't cool in the GTA series either- it's a stain on this industry.

A slap on the ass is "woman beating?" Damn, I guess I abuse my wife on a daily basis then, and oddly she enjoys it.

In any case the large amount of people using this game to try and feel superior to others is amusing. Stand tall you moral beacons, show us the right path.

Money talks and BS walks, to date:

1. Cancelled a preorder for DNF a couple weeks ago.

2. DID NOT BUY COD MW2 or BO

3. DID NOT BUY GTA 2, 3, 4, ever again

etc., etc...

Like mentioned, shock jock crap is a cheap substitue for gameplay. If that's the way things are going to be then I need a new hobby.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:17 Verno

The point being that Duke is slapping the ass of girls that aren't asking to have their ass slapped, unlike his wife (or so I'd hope.)

The point being that one is a fictional videogame character and the other is a real world scenario.

Quite a difference between those two concepts. People incapable of separating reality from fiction usually have other problems we should be worrying about rather than their social sensitivities. Is it ok for you to slap a random womans ass? No. It is ok for Duke to do it? Yes, just like it's ok for characters in movies and televisions to do things you would never do in the real world.

10. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:14 Beamer

The issue people have, though, is less in the actual contact in more in the "women are hysterical and slapping their ass is what a man needs to do to calm them down" sentiment.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:13 Verno

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:07:
A slap on the ass is "woman beating?" Damn, I guess I abuse my wife on a daily basis then, and oddly she enjoys it.

So then you and your wife would be ok if I do it to her, right?

But would you be ok if I slapped with your wife's ass...with a car???? Heh, I thought not.

Quick someone do a nazi analogy.

8. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:07 Beamer

So then you and your wife would be ok if I do it to her, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:06 rlknight66

well dude, they gotta do something to distract you from the realization that the game actually sucks.  

6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:04 StingingVelvet

Matshock wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 12:57:
Back off the woman beating, it's not cool. It wasn't cool in the GTA series either- it's a stain on this industry.

In any case the large amount of people using this game to try and feel superior to others is amusing. Stand tall you moral beacons, show us the right path.

5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 13:52 Cutter

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 13:33:
That's hate speech though and it is legislated in many countries, totally different from what he's talking about. That's a bit different from showing some boobs or something.

Is it? Not for many who hide behind the cry of "It's art!" to camoflauge their garbage. Randy's simply trying to avoid taking any responsibility here. Much in the same way that atrocities commited by soldiers who were simply "following orders".

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 13:48 Cutter

So what's he saying besides demeaning women, men and everything in between that Duke finally reveals himself as a kiddie-fiddler and there's graphic footage of him molesting children? No need to get upset everybody, it's art!

Um, newsflash Randy...just because something is created in an artistic medium does not automatically make it art. This property, for example, is about as base as it gets. It solely exists for profit by pandering to the lowest common denominator, the immature, and the mentally challenged. And while I agree that art should inspire people on the whole, as well as sometimes provoke, shock, frighten, and enrage, it does so for the betterment of mankind - or at least to inspire critical thought - it does not do it solely for material profit.

I guess we've got Duke all wrong, is that it? It's a collective artists statement that's a metaphor for mans inhumanity toward mankind, is that it? A neo-post-mordern nihilistic deconstruction of the primitive in an empty and meaningless universe? Is that it, Randy? Well, if it is you better be giving that shit away.

Oh yeah, don't forget...the artist still has to take responsibility for his "art".

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 13:47 rlknight66

A game where the player runs around shooting blacks that make ape sounds when they die? What game is that?!?

2. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 13:33 Verno

That's hate speech though and it is legislated in many countries, totally different from what he's talking about. That's a bit different from showing some boobs or something. Generally speaking I want people to push boundaries as that's when the most interesting stuff is usually created. Nothing wrong with what he said conceptually. In practice the moral authority(usually the religious ends of the political spectrum) do dictate "the line" anyway.  

1. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 12:57 Matshock

Hey Randy- do you remember that game some racist a$$hole made where the player runs around shooting blacks that make ape sounds when they die?

That's OK by you? And don't play the "well, THAT'S NOT art" card either, because who are you to decide what that is?

Be a stand up guy- draw your own lines and stay on the right side.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo