Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Easter Sunday to all who are celebrating. MrsBlue and I picked up a small smoked ham with the idea that it suits the occasion, and found that even with a good deal of Googling, we're not quite sure how to prepare it. It seems uncooked, in spite of the smoking, so the main goal will to be sure it's not undercooked. For those of you planning an Easter dinner, here's hoping whoever's doing the cooking is more informed than we are.

Easter Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Painted Eggs. Thanks Neatorama.
This Bunny Kills 4 Fun.
Kill The Wabbits - Winter Edition.
Links: Famous Movie Scenes Recreated With Easter Eggs. Thanks Neatorama.
The 8 Craziest Bunny Costume Arrests.
11 Things The CIA Is Keeping From Us Article.
Stories: Comical bank-robbery attempt in Queens. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: The 6 Weirdest Dangers of Space Travel.
Examining Breed-Related Causes of Death for Dogs. Thanks j.c.f.
Lasers to Replace Spark Plugs in Combustion Engines. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.
Fake Science - Don’t Paint Your Easter Eggs.
High-res Portal 2 poster. Thanks Reddit.
Media: 3 Things I Learned While My Plane Crashed.
Cat vs Rabbit. Thanks Reddit.
Portal 2 - Meet Bill. NSFW.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-up: Heaven. Thanks Neatorama.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2011, 12:50 Bodolza

That particular recipe is referring to a prime rib roast, not steaks. Fifteen minutes is about right, since you have at least 5 sides to brown. You wouldn't cook a piece of meat that large just under a broiler, unless you want it raw in the middle, or completely charred on the outside.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: lasers Apr 25, 2011, 01:24 swedishfriend

Good to see advances like this. Go team!  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 22:39 Sepharo

Went to the parents' for dinner. They threw some rib eyes on the grill and flipped em a few times until they looked done. They tasted good.

Don't steal our secret technique/recipe!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 22:34 shuttleswo

Although I didn't RTFA - i remember the Mythsmasher's episode; it wasn't about whether a sear makes it taste better - it inarguably does; it was strictly debunking the 'locks in moisture' bit you mention; it didn't make the meat any moister; the Maillard reaction is why you do it, but the meat won't be moister because of the sear (does taste better though).  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 19:21 Cutter

Well unless you have a salamander that you can do your steak in at about 1800 degrees I have to respectfully disagree with Alton. Next time you're cooking up a couple of steaks try it. Sear 1 and then throw that and the other one in the oven or under the broiler and see which is better. The searing not only helps to lock in moisture but the caramelized and salted crust - you did salt them, right? - provide a much better taste and texture than just cooking them without the searing. He speaks about searing for upwards of 15 mintutes which is ridiculous. You only need about a minute - or two max - for a flash sear to begin the Maillard reaction. I have to admit I've never tried what he's proposing there of cooking first and searing after, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 16:38 Evil Timmy

There's a great, experimentally-based how-to-perfectly-cook-meat guide from Serious Eats. They even tackle the myth of the sear: basically, you're just cooking extra moisture off the outside while overcooking the meat, and you end up with less juice overall.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 15:10 Cutter

DNForever wrote on Apr 24, 2011, 15:00:
You can boil them for 20 mins a pound, if you have a big enough pot.

Well, you could, but you really don't want to. In fact, unless you're cooking in the sous vide style you don't really want to boil any food except pasta or eggs. It leaches the flavour - as well as the vitamins - out of meats and vegetables and turns them to mush. Steaming veg is better, but unnecessary and never as good as when you can saute them. Meat on the other hand, besides grilled is always best seared with a quick pan-fry to develop a crust to hold mositure in and finished in the oven - except for prepared meats like said ham which basically just need to be done in the oven.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 15:02 Cutter

Whilst you can cook and smoke meat at the same time, in this case you're talking about cold smoking which is done to impart flavour so yes, you need to cook it. Here's a link to doing a classic honey-glazed ham Mmm, steamed hams!.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 15:00 DNForever

You can boil them for 20 mins a pound, if you have a big enough pot.  

1. No subject Apr 24, 2011, 14:15 AnointedSword

Rock on blue!:)The wife says, the instructions are on the label (the back side).  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo