Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 Countdown?

GameInformer received a memo pointing the way to The Aperture Science Surprise Deployment Initiation System, which offers a countdown with a bit over an hour remaining. The memo indicates this has something to do with "Pneumatic Diversity Tubes," prompting GI to speculate this is a Portal 2 DLC release. At first glance, it doesn't seem that domain is registered to Valve, however. We shall see what comes of this.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 18:50 Jerykk

Also is there a level editor coming? Custom maps?

I sincerely hope so. Portal had a ton of great custom maps that were exponentially more challenging than the ones that came with the game. With all the mechanics introduced in Portal 2, I'm expecting even more crazy stuff from the mod community.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 15:48 Tumbler

It was a neat idea and they only revealed it the weekend before release, so the cost of not participating wasn't particularly high.

It was a neat idea, but $40 seemed crazy for that Potato Sack long before they they announced anything to do with release. The prices of each product were what I got when I purchased the games individually...so now buy a dozen together at that same price level...that's a deal?

The price finally made sense when they announced that playing those games would release portal 2 early and I think everyone knows the rest.

Portal 2 is a great game, but the marketing choices up to it's release come off as a bit scummy. I feel like Valve should treat it's biggest fans better than that. Hopefully their next big game doesn't launch with a "earn a free copy for a friend if you pre-purchase!" And then when release happens they say, we'll deliver your free copy in 60 days! Shit like that is beneath Valve. I'd expect that from a a retailer like best buy. Recently learned how big a joke their rewards programs are. Earn 500 bonus point for pre-ordering this game...oh you don't get those points for 31 days after you spend $60! GEEE THANX!!! Never shopping there again. Teach me to stray from Amazon. Already got my $20 credit from Portal 2.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 14:50 briktal

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 13:21:
I still don't get how buying a ton of games at a supercheap discount is a "scam," but some people here are morons, in that they either don't understand what a scam is or they're so stupid they'll spend $40 in hopes of getting a game a little early.

Again, I keep hearing that Valve didn't make any cash off of this, that all the proceeds went to the indies themselves, but whatever, Valve screwed you over and took your unborn children by forcing you to support the indie games by tricking you into thinking you'd never play Portal 2 unless you did.

While it was a good deal, the "buying a ton of games at a supercheap discount" thing does at least sound a little silly, considering it's on the platform that not only has a sale of some sort every weekend, but also has a couple big annual sales and often has mid-week sales.

33. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 13:21 Beamer

I still don't get how buying a ton of games at a supercheap discount is a "scam," but some people here are morons, in that they either don't understand what a scam is or they're so stupid they'll spend $40 in hopes of getting a game a little early.

Again, I keep hearing that Valve didn't make any cash off of this, that all the proceeds went to the indies themselves, but whatever, Valve screwed you over and took your unborn children by forcing you to support the indie games by tricking you into thinking you'd never play Portal 2 unless you did.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 13:00 Teddy

Doombringer wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 10:36:
I suppose Portal has become less a puzzle game and more an adventure game with puzzle elements. It's a happy medium, I think. This world is simply too fun to play in to not make it available to almost anyone

True enough, but I'd personally rather have seen it go the more difficult route and then add a hint system for those who are having trouble.

31. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 12:32 Sepharo

Wraith wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 02:58:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 23:24:
entr0py wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 22:55:
Oh, it was a "thank you note" from the potato sack developers to Valve. If you have a steam ID you can thank Valve for their marketing gimmick below. If you want to encourage this sort of thing.

http://valvearg.com/thankyou/whiteboard/

It was from the players thanking the Valve and the potato sack developers.
I swear, these people have fucking Stockholm Syndrome.

They're thanking Valve for wasting their fucking time chasing rainbows so Valve can then hit them up for more money on the off chance they could get the game released a couple of hours early.

Companies love these kinds of people. They're known as "suckers" and P.T. Barnum made a shitload out of them. You and I know them as idiots who are so mindbogglingly stupid they'll pay $15 for DLC because they "love" the company. As a consequence, this kind of insulting marketing gimmick proliferates.

Next time Valve, try ponying up something worth the time investment. Getting kiddies living in basements to invest dozens of hours of their meaningless lives into your ludicrous ARG isn't an accomplishment, it's just a cynical abuse of the chronically stupid.

It's pretty obvious that they created this in reaction to people such as yourself.

They put a lot of time in playing this and they most likely continued because they were having fun. Now with so much hate coming from people who didn't even participate the people who did participate think it's necessary to remind Valve and the community that they appreciated this and would like to see more.

30. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 11:17 Riker

Plus there's insight into how the writers - inadvertently at times - crafted the storyline, my personal favorite.

I found that particular note very interesting also. I was also surprised there was significantly less commentary... I was hoping and expecting for a lot more. Pretty sparse.

29. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 11:01 bluefaster

They're thanking Valve for wasting their fucking time chasing rainbows so Valve can then hit them up for more money on the off chance they could get the game released a couple of hours early.

I agree that there's no reason to thank Valve; their "thanks" already arrived up in the form of money. However, writing off people who enjoyed the ARG as pure suckers is probably going a little far.

It was just as much the indie developers as it was valve, and the majority of the ARG happened well before people were aware they could release the game early. It seems pretty reasonable to me that people will enjoy solving those puzzles. I enjoyed the original AI ARG much more than I enjoyed the film AI. I'd say the sucker part there wasn't the ARG but the movie.

If someone spent $40 on DLC that they absolutely didn't want and played games they absolutely didn't want to play just to get Portal 2 to maybe release early, then yes, maybe they're suckers. Fine. I don't think that was the case with the majority of participants though. It was a neat idea and they only revealed it the weekend before release, so the cost of not participating wasn't particularly high. Also, if you jumped through all their hoops you got free games (although you may already have owned them, sucker.)

28. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 10:54 eRe4s3r

But they really should do advanced levels - there wasn't a single room with "all white" surfaces except for the 3 laser puzzle, and that was nearly instantly solvable.

Also is there a level editor coming? Custom maps?

27. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 10:36 Doombringer

Teddy wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 08:00:
Loved the game, but I do have to agree with him that limiting where the portals can be so drastically made the puzzles much easier for me.

There is more and more of this lately, in gaming. Accessibility. In some cases, it isn't a bad thing - entire genres or sub-genres that were typically reserved for the 'elite' (MMOs) can now be enjoyed by a wider variety of players. Yet in others, it can detract from a title that would historically be more challenging (a puzzle game) as it is 'dumbed down' to guide players through, or to simply conform to a less capable control scheme (consoles).

I suppose Portal has become less a puzzle game and more an adventure game with puzzle elements. It's a happy medium, I think. This world is simply too fun to play in to not make it available to almost anyone

26. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 08:00 Teddy

DG wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 20:45:
Only negative I have is thus far none of the puzzles are really taxing, and I'm not especially bright or anything. Sure there's a few where you forget a game mechanic for a few minutes (the two of us did get stuck once for a good 10 minutes before a "duh!" moment) but I've not come close to thinking about hitting gamefaqs yet. Partly that's due to very intuitive mechanics well introduced, and partly because, well if there's a white patch somewhere it's almost certainly part of the solution.

Friend of mine pointed out the issue for me in a clearer manner. He described this one as being more "linear" than the original in that it only places the tiles in important places for the level. In the original, whole test rooms had portalable surfaces which led to both, more red herrings, and more ways to solve the same puzzle.

In portal 2, all you do is look at the spaces you're allowed to place the portals and sort out the logic in how you get from A to B using those limited options.

Loved the game, but I do have to agree with him that limiting where the portals can be so drastically made the puzzles much easier for me.

25. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 06:35 Dev

Sho wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 00:20:
briktal wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 23:23:
I started to go through the game again with commentary, but there's just so little commentary. There's something like 50 more nodes total in Portal 1, and in Portal 2 they are also spread between sp and coop modes. I think I went through one or two test chambers without a node and gave up.

Aw, shame :(. I was really looking forward to commentary mode.

I love commentary modes ... the best one by far I've seen was in "Tomb Raider: Anniversary". The implementation is similar to Valve's (which is good), but what makes it stand out is that with TR:A being a remake of TR1, they had both Toby Guard (Lara inventor and lead designer on TR1) and the lead designer of the remake do the commentary together. So it's a big bag of anecdotes about the development of the original game, as well as interesting stuff about how they approached modernizing it for the remake and what issues they fixed over the original in the process.

I suggest using noclip if redoing for commentary, once you type it in console you can hit ~ then UP key to bring back last command so you can use the elevators, etc. That way you can fly to exits instead of solving puzzles.

24. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 05:28 eRe4s3r

Except that this "easy prey" got Portal 2 and the Valve complete pack for free.

But don't let your cynicism get in the way of reality

23. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 04:54 Kajetan

Next time Valve, try ponying up something worth the time investment. Getting kiddies living in basements to invest dozens of hours of their meaningless lives into your ludicrous ARG isn't an accomplishment, it's just a cynical abuse of the chronically stupid.
Why? Easy prey and full wallets ...

22. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 04:36 Jonas505

If you click on the potato on the bottom, you hear Glados telling a "joke".  

21. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 02:58 Wraith

Sepharo wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 23:24:
entr0py wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 22:55:
Oh, it was a "thank you note" from the potato sack developers to Valve. If you have a steam ID you can thank Valve for their marketing gimmick below. If you want to encourage this sort of thing.

http://valvearg.com/thankyou/whiteboard/

It was from the players thanking the Valve and the potato sack developers.

Companies love these kinds of people. They're known as "suckers" and P.T. Barnum made a shitload out of them. You and I know them as idiots who are so mindbogglingly stupid they'll pay $15 for DLC because they "love" the company. As a consequence, this kind of insulting marketing gimmick proliferates.

20. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 01:26 Doombringer

I started to go through the game again with commentary, but there's just so little commentary. There's something like 50 more nodes total in Portal 1, and in Portal 2 they are also spread between sp and coop modes.

It's true, there are very few commentary nodes. I was actually surprised, because Portal 2 is obviously a much more polished effort than Portal 1.

The commentary nodes that did exist were pretty great, however. Not many were overly-technical. I enjoyed the insight into their development process, especially their playtesting... it was surprising to see how much feedback they get and how they change the game based on this feedback. Plus there's insight into how the writers - inadvertently at times - crafted the storyline, my personal favorite.

19. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 00:24 Animals for Crackers

Hater always gonna hate.

Or, more appropriately, taters gonna tate.

18. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 00:20 Sho

I started to go through the game again with commentary, but there's just so little commentary. There's something like 50 more nodes total in Portal 1, and in Portal 2 they are also spread between sp and coop modes. I think I went through one or two test chambers without a node and gave up.

Aw, shame :(. I was really looking forward to commentary mode.

I love commentary modes ... the best one by far I've seen was in "Tomb Raider: Anniversary". The implementation is similar to Valve's (which is good), but what makes it stand out is that with TR:A being a remake of TR1, they had both Toby Guard (Lara inventor and lead designer on TR1) and the lead designer of the remake do the commentary together. So it's a big bag of anecdotes about the development of the original game, as well as interesting stuff about how they approached modernizing it for the remake and what issues they fixed over the original in the process.

17. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 00:15 xXBatmanXx

Hater always gonna hate.

I applaud the whole thing.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo