Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Demo Plans

Battlefield 3 Interview with Patrick Bach on MSXboxWorld talks with DICE's Executive Producer on Battlefield 3, discussing various aspects of the upcoming military shooter sequel. Near the end, they ask if a demo is to be expected, and Bach's response was simply: "Yes!" There are also Patrick Bach interviews on Xboxer360.com and ThisIsXbox.com. Thanks Ant via Planet Battlefield.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 16:03 loomy

EA shut forced the shutdown of every crysis 2 demo server after a month. you aren't allowed to run a server.

however you can still play the bf 1942 demo, and it is really good.

enjoy their bf3 demo. for as long as they let you. I'll be playing madden 09. never mind, they shut that down too..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 15:49 wrigleyvillain

Cornholio wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 05:26:
I still don't see pings in the bc2 browser... it's the only game like that.

Yeah you definitely should. Try the suggestion below. FWIW, A server that pings "20" in the browser gives me like 100 in-game. Not really a problem, but a bit strange.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 10:51 Suddenly_Dead

entr0py wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 02:11:
DangerDog wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 23:24:
everyone treats the beta as a demo anyway.

Including developers. The only difference between the BF2142 demo and the BFBC2 beta was that the beta had a limited number of slots that you could buy your way into and it shut down before the game was released. Other than that all the other details were the same; it was one map, and came about a month before launch.

So a good old fashioned MP demo would be much better than the sort of short moneygrab "betas" that we've come to expect.

2142 had an actual beta too though. As I remember it, it was buggy as all hell, not all of the sound effects were in place, the HUD was incomplete, strings were missing. It was more than a month early.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 09:37 Grokk

Cornholio wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 05:26:

I had to start steam as administrator to get the pings to show up initially, but I'm pretty sure that was resolved.
Either way, if you're not seeing pings then try starting steam itself as administrator and see how it goes.

*This does assume you are running the game via steam, otherwise I guess running the game as admin would suffice.

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 06:38 Sphinx

Key point missing I think: is the demo mulitplayer or single player? If it's multiplayer then thank you, if it's single player then why are they being stupid?  
-Sphinx

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 05:26 Cornholio

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 03:00 elefunk

entr0py wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 02:11:

Including developers. The only difference between the BF2142 demo and the BFBC2 beta was that the beta had a limited number of slots that you could buy your way into and it shut down before the game was released. Other than that all the other details were the same; it was one map, and came about a month before launch.

So a good old fashioned MP demo would be much better than the sort of short moneygrab "betas" that we've come to expect.
On the contrary, Bad Company 2 was bashed to high hell precisely **because** the beta had so many horrible bugs in it and absurdly terrible performance.

Everyone complained because those who said "it's just a beta" were attacked with claims that "everyone knows the beta is just a marketing tool like a demo", and claims that the issues in the beta wouldn't get resolved in time for the release.

History proved otherwise, however, as the final version of the game had huge performance increases, far fewer bugs, proving the beta to actually be a genuine beta and not merely some marketing tool that ended up with a few balance tweaks.

Honestly wouldn't mind if DICE did the same with BF3, considering their track record for server browsers...maybe they'll at least get those bugs fixed first

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 02:56 Jackplug

All of the core game systems (animation, destruction, rendering, audio etc.) are the same on all platforms so there will not be a difference when it comes to the general experience of the game. Some technicalities will of course be different due to larger memory and the graphics cards you can have on the PC.

This worries me that were just playing a console game converted for the pc..

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 02:34 DangerDog

Paranoid Jack wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 23:43:
We've all seen the fantastic looking twelve minutes of game-play video demo... and know it's running on a bleeding edge computer. What I want to see is some X-Box 360 and PS3 video footage. I want to know how this game will look on the five year old console hardware. I'm getting it on the PC... even building a new PC mainly to be ready for this and a few other releases late this year... but I may buy a second copy for the console that most of my friends will be playing on. Unless this will be cross platform multiplayer.... LoL

Aside from higher res textures and the usual lower resolution that consoles run I would bet it'll look and play the same (single player), the real push is going to be how much computing power will be needed for 64 person multiplayer, I'm expecting a major cut-back on destruction and nothing like they've shown from the single player.

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 02:11 entr0py

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 22, 2011, 01:57 Suddenly_Dead

Batman: no I am not concerned  

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 23:43 Paranoid Jack

We've all seen the fantastic looking twelve minutes of game-play video demo... and know it's running on a bleeding edge computer. What I want to see is some X-Box 360 and PS3 video footage. I want to know how this game will look on the five year old console hardware. I'm getting it on the PC... even building a new PC mainly to be ready for this and a few other releases late this year... but I may buy a second copy for the console that most of my friends will be playing on. Unless this will be cross platform multiplayer.... LoL  

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 23:24 DangerDog

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 22:29 LittleMe

Start the PC beta/demo this summer please. ty

Perpetual debt is slavery.

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 21:58 Dades

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 21:42:
They never said the demo is gonna be on the pc. Just that there will be a demo.

BC2 had a beta on the PC and it wasn't difficult to get keys from community websites without preordering.

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 21:42 HoSpanky

They never said the demo is gonna be on the pc. Just that there will be a demo.  

2. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 21:20 Wallshadows

I think it's pretty fantastic that a demo is on the way. It seems like the Blues community can appreciate the fact that a demo is included since it's a topic which is furiously criticized when one is not.

So, instead of deflecting this on to another issue, take it for what it is and for once be grateful.

1. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 21:14 Tumbler

Heheh, that's a lot of xbox. MSXboxworld, xboxer360, thisisxbox...oh and Planet Battlefield! Totally a pc game. Totally totally totally pc.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo