Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Failed Portal Prequel Details

The Final Hours of Portal 2 Teaser Website mentioned last night now reveals this is for The Final Hours of Portal 2 for iPad on the iTunes App Store, as Geoff Keighley has created an app based on his "unprecedented 'fly on the wall' access [to Valve] over the past three years to create this staggering 15,000 word multimedia experience." The intro also mentions a "hush-hush Portal prequel that was shelved," and looking to get the most of their $1.99, Kotaku shares details about this, saying that for five months in 2008 Valve was developing a Portal prequel set in the 1950s which did not actually include Portals. They say this was based on a new "F-Stop" gameplay mechanic that Valve was very excited about, but apparently play testers had a different vision for a Portal follow up, wanting it to include Chell, GLaDOS, and yes, portals. It seems this F-Stop gameplay mechanic will still show up in a future game, as Valve is keeping it under wraps, though Keighley's app includes F-Stop concept art that keeps its secrets safe. Also included is word on a Half-Life reference that was cut from Portal 2 and details on game prototypes Valve worked on during a three-month period when they took a break from other scheduled projects.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 22, 2011, 01:24 Kosumo

edit: Quick search has turned up Kosumo as the memory molester.

Not only than, he's been taking money out of my wallet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 22:41 Beamer

50% that, 50% I-bought-the-PS3-version-since-it-was the-cheapest-and-I'll-get-a-PS3-eventually-and even-though-I-knew-it-likely-would-need-a-PS3-to-get-the-PC-copy-I did-it-anyway.

But time equally much, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 21:03 Razumen

Chell is the HUMAN character in the SP game.
Wheatley is the name of one of Glados' personality cores.
Atlas and P-body are the names of the two COOP robots.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2011, 21:10.

23. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:57 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 20:50:
Chell is you. The ball guy - the helper robot (voiced by Stephen Merchant) - is called Wheatley.

I keep forgetting his name because on launch someone here called him "Whelly".
I actually referred to him as this in a conversation and people were "LOL DO YOU MEAN WHEATLEY!?" "Ugh yes."

edit: Quick search has turned up Kosumo as the memory molester.

22. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:52 Razumen

Why wouldn't Portal 2 include Glados and Portals? Those were the best parts of Portal. The Chell character was unimportant in my mind, I didn't even find out her name until I finished the first game!

Anyways, I'm more interested in finding out what this "F-Stop" gameplay entails.

21. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:50 Quboid

Chell is you. The ball guy - the helper robot (voiced by Stephen Merchant) - is called Wheatley.  

- Quboid

20. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:44 Kosumo

Fuck You Tumbler, your and your Spoiler you big poo!

I hope you get a really bad hair cut to pay us back for that.

Even thought I've finish single player, your spoiler has gone and spoiled my memories of it.

Fuck You!, You bad hair cut wearing poo.

Jester

Lots of Love, Kos

19. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:22 Tumbler

Dammit Tumbler, don't spoil it!!!!!!!!!!

Heh, just looked it up, Chell was the characters name? LOL, had never heard that before. Thought that wouldn't be that much of a spoiler...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:20 nin

Tumbler wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 20:18:
Honestly, I think the decision to include Chell and GLaDOS was a somewhat stupid one. Not saying it didn't work, as I haven't played yet, but it fits the first game poorly.

Is Chell the little ball guy u see right from the start? I don't remember him in the first one...

Dammit Tumbler, don't spoil it!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:18 Tumbler

Honestly, I think the decision to include Chell and GLaDOS was a somewhat stupid one. Not saying it didn't work, as I haven't played yet, but it fits the first game poorly.

Is Chell the little ball guy u see right from the start? I don't remember him in the first one...

16. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:11 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 20:02:

You should really play the game...

Time issue?

15. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 20:02 Beamer

Honestly, I think the decision to include Chell and GLaDOS was a somewhat stupid one. Not saying it didn't work, as I haven't played yet, but it fits the first game poorly. It isn't as bad as Jeff Goldblum starring in the sequel to Jurassic Park, but it's not bad.

This is why, occasionally, you need to have one of the objectives on your whiteboard reading "don't listen to our customers." Haha. Until you're headed far enough down a road for customers to understand what you're doing they'll always try to point you down to the familiar, as they can only really come up with what they already know (and, often, they think they want something that sounds good on their head but is often in reality, aka The Homer.) You listen to your customers down the road to improve something, but never use them to make something new.

If you listen to your customers you end up making Call of Modern Warfare.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:56 Tumbler

Ha! I had to read that twice, someone made an app that gives you a news article about Valve? And it's $2? Hahah, that is pretty ballsy. Sounds like an interesting read but if I'm going to pay for it like this I think I'd rather have an audio recording with a video presentation of screenshots, concept art, etc. *goes to app page* Oh! I see it is a visual presentation. Well this looks interesting. I can't say I'm ready to pay for this, a lot of people create weekly multimedia presentations for free each week. They're not this specific but I can see paying for this as a convenience thing to get it working perfectly on a phone vs needing a laptop to watch it. I hope he makes this on android as well.  

13. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:55 nin

So if you complain about this, then yes, you're being pretty much an entitled prick.

That's right! Anyone that's interested in this without an ipad can fuck right off! You don't fucking deserve it!

12. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:53 Dev

Interestingly, the kotaku says the app talks about valve thinking seriously about killing the Cave Johnson part of the game when someone leaked a job posting looking for a voice artist to do him, back in 2008.
There's a link in the kotaku article to the original story.

11. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:49 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 19:44:

Remember gang, if we complain about this in any way, we're worthless entitled bastards who deserve to die a slow cancerous death.

Or so they say...

Actually, yes, you are...in the entitlement area.

Consider this...this product is created by a third party and is sold SEPARATE from the main product (Portal). This is a luxury item that doesn't even affect/effect users who own the original product.

So if you complain about this, then yes, you're being pretty much an entitled prick.

But hey, I expected you were trying to just simply drum up some animosity from those that tried (unsuccessfully) to explain to you the difference between entitlement and 'scam'.

10. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:46 Cutter

Ok, can we haz HL3 now plz?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:44 nin

Remember gang, if we complain about this in any way, we're worthless entitled bastards who deserve to die a slow cancerous death.

Or so they say...

8. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:39 DNForever

Looks pretty expensive now, so you got it while the gettin was good.

elefunk wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 19:07:
DNForever wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 18:48:
I've wasted money on a lot of stuff, but I'll never pay to read about the making of a video game.
That's too bad. The "Raising the Bar" book released after Half-Life 2 was fantastic, and well worth the $15-20 I paid at the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Raising-David-Hodgson/dp/0761543643

Looks like it's not easy to find anymore though.

7. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:37 Riker

Looks interesting... but not $1.99 interesting! </cheapskate>

Is it weird that I'm trying to finish Portal 2 as fast as possible so I can go back and listen to the game's commentary? Valve's commentary in their games is always one of the highlights for me.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo