Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 User Review Backlash

The reviews of the PC edition of Portal 2 on Metacritic reflect the unhappiness of some users with Valve's just-released puzzle sequel. While the game boasts a 95 score based on critics' scores, the user score has dropped to 7.3, as there are 101 negative reviews as of this writing, many of them giving the game a zero. GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) summarizes the situation:

The complaints appear to come primarily from PC users, upset that the game is a console port - and even includes references to turning off the 'console' when saving. Most anger, though, seems to be directed at the online store - which is already filled with downloadable content.

The volume of day one downloadable content seems to have come as a surprise to many PC users, unused to the console-style arrangement. They have also expressed disappointment at the game's short running time and the controversial ARG promotional campaign - which tempted players into buying unrelated indie titles.

View
153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

153. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 26, 2011, 16:22 wrlwnd

Satoru wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 15:29:
It takes about 8-10 hours to finish up the campaign. That isn't much longer than most games these days. You can burn through Crysis2 and CoD in that timeframe.

Which is why I haven't bought either of those titles either. $50 for 10 hours of gameplay is a rip off IMO.

I try to buy games where the price doesn't exceed $2 per hour of gameplay. There are lots of good games that fit that bill.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

152. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 24, 2011, 17:06 Dmitri_M

The loading times have nothing to do with the source engine's age, it's that the maps are sized for the consoles and they likely weren't able to create separate resources for the PC. I'm reminded of this while looking at the low res console resolution loading screen 10 000 times.

But, like Dead Space, I can live with that because the game itself is good.

151. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 23, 2011, 15:12 Elessar

You can fix the floaty mouse issue by turning of v-sync, which is on by default. (sorry if this was mentioned before)

As for the game, I just finished it and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Normally I accept other people have opinions, but if you bitch about this game being consolized or whatever, you're fuckin nuts.

It's worth every penny, which is only enhanced by the value you get from an amazingly unique co-op. A friend and I messed with that for a couple hours last night and it's just awesome.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

150. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 15:29 Satoru

It takes about 8-10 hours to finish up the campaign. That isn't much longer than most games these days. You can burn through Crysis2 and CoD in that timeframe.  

149. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 12:37 Dev

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 11:21:
Read the first 90 or so comments before giving up...

My only real question concerning this release was how much content there would be for the single player. Sounds like it's between 5 and 10 hours worth. That's borderline for a $50 game... I have plenty of other things to keep me busy, I think I'll wait for a bit.
Don't forget the co-op campaign. That is another 5-10 hours. Personally for me, its been a 20 hour game between both unique campaigns without replay.

148. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 12:14 Krovven

She was only dragged away if you completed Portal after they changed the ending to set up the sequel.

Hrmm. I don't recall anything different from my original playthrough 3.5 years ago...wow, I can't believe it was so long ago. But looking up now, I musta have completely missed that they changed the ending to Portal in March 2010.

147. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 11:21 Mr. Tact

Read the first 90 or so comments before giving up...

My only real question concerning this release was how much content there would be for the single player. Sounds like it's between 5 and 10 hours worth. That's borderline for a $50 game... I have plenty of other things to keep me busy, I think I'll wait for a bit.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

146. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 10:50 Ant

Wow, good thing I didn't get the game for Windows due to lack of free time. I will wait!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

145. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 09:03 Verno

Yeah they patched that in quite a bit later.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

144. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 08:50 reisub

Krovven wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 02:21:
Glados defeated, yes. Chell escaped briefly but was incapacitated and you last saw her being dragged off while semi-conscious.
She was only dragged away if you completed Portal after they changed the ending to set up the sequel.

143. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 08:26 Prez

User Reviews of the PC edition of Portal 2 stand at 1065 with 809 positive reviews. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2/user-reviews
Yeah, those PC gamers are entitled whiney bitches. You people here (you know who you are) that bitch about the PC community based on the blathering of a vocal minority are no better than the tools that gave Portal 2 a zero based on the word "console".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

142. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 03:11 Jerykk

I'm not paying $50 for 6 hours of gameplay.

I don't care how "polished" it is.

It took me about 7 hours to beat the SP campaign. Granted, I read every piece of text in the world, explored every nook and cranny and basically sat around a lot so I could listen to all the idle banter. Also, the co-op is good for a few hours of play and I'm pretty sure the mod community will pump out great maps, just like they did with Portal 2. I paid $35 for Portal 2, which I think is a good price.

141. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 02:21 Krovven

Yifes wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 00:01:
Glados was defeated and Chell escaped.

No point in marking this spoiler now I guess...

Glados defeated, yes. Chell escaped briefly but was incapacitated and you last saw her being dragged off while semi-conscious.

140. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 01:19 Hoop

Thats a bold backlash claim.
If you compare that with the gamespot user reviews... well they hold up better than 90 percent of games released.

I Pity the fools. (Mr "T") Mr_t

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/portal-2/review.html?tag=topslot;img;2

Thanks nin for the steam link & the console commands.
How about a Blue review on Portal 2?

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2011, 01:50.

Um .. Behind you...

139. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 00:01 Yifes

I just realized the reason why I've been avoiding Portal 2. Admitting that Portal 2 exists ruins the ending of Portal 1. Portal 1 was so damn good, and as far as I'm concerned, Glados was defeated and Chell escaped.  

138. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 23:36 Dev

wrlwnd wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 22:50:
I don't know anybody else who has bought it, or will anytime soon, so that takes co-op out. Which leaves, even according to your figures, 10 to 12 hours max of gameplay. That isn't worth $50. I'll pick it up when it hits the $25 to $30 mark.
Why should it take co-op out? Bluesnews has a steam group, play with the people there. I'm on the steam group (as are a number of other blues regulars), I'll play it with you.

But its your money, I often wait for games to hit a steam sale before buying them if they aren't something I think I need on launch day.

137. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 23:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Sepharo wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 21:42:
Same here. I'm 7 hours in and still haven't beat it yet.

I'm off to play it now, realizing that I probably jinxed myself right there and the next level will be the last.
Oh you'll know it when you hit the end. Or close to it, I failed the 'end' puzzle a couple of times but it's probably the 4hrs of sleep making my brain go blarhahshrmmmm...cookies.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

136. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 22:50 wrlwnd

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 18:07:
wrlwnd wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 17:13:
I'm not paying $50 for 6 hours of gameplay.

I don't care how "polished" it is.

Yeah, the haters that gave it a 0 are idiots. But so are all the slavering sites that gave it a 100.
6 is running it through as fast as they can. I took around 10 or 12 hours and enjoyed the scenery. Plus there's the whole other co-op campaign which is totally different and something like 6-8 hours. So in total its about 20 hours. Hopefully valve will stick to its pattern of free DLC for PC users and release some additional co-op campaigns.

I don't know anybody else who has bought it, or will anytime soon, so that takes co-op out. Which leaves, even according to your figures, 10 to 12 hours max of gameplay. That isn't worth $50. I'll pick it up when it hits the $25 to $30 mark.

135. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 22:23 pacbowl

I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a console port. Sure, they may have added some options for consoles but it sure plays and feels like every Source engine game going all the way back to HL2.  

134. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 21:42 Sepharo

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 21:35:
The only real problem I had with the game is, when you start laying down a bunch of goop to do stuff, you'll start to get some thrashing. I don't think they designed all the rooms to be fully painted but I did that anyway a few times, just for fun.

Same here. I'm 7 hours in and still haven't beat it yet.

I'm off to play it now, realizing that I probably jinxed myself right there and the next level will be the last.

153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo