Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 User Review Backlash

The reviews of the PC edition of Portal 2 on Metacritic reflect the unhappiness of some users with Valve's just-released puzzle sequel. While the game boasts a 95 score based on critics' scores, the user score has dropped to 7.3, as there are 101 negative reviews as of this writing, many of them giving the game a zero. GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) summarizes the situation:

The complaints appear to come primarily from PC users, upset that the game is a console port - and even includes references to turning off the 'console' when saving. Most anger, though, seems to be directed at the online store - which is already filled with downloadable content.

The volume of day one downloadable content seems to have come as a surprise to many PC users, unused to the console-style arrangement. They have also expressed disappointment at the game's short running time and the controversial ARG promotional campaign - which tempted players into buying unrelated indie titles.

View
153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

53. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:41 Tom

I wouldn't say the game is a console port but it definitely suffers from console-related problems. I started up the game last night for the first time, started the little tutorial at the beginning, and my view kept constantly drifting upward. I ended up having to unplug my racing pedals which I normally leave plugged in all the time. Apparently the game thought they were an XBox 360 controller. There didn't seem to be any in-game setting to disable this stupid behavior. Hello? PC? Mouse and keyboard. I don't need no stinking controller.

This wasn't the first game to suffer from this problem, but it doesn't usually happen with FPS's and it certainly didn't happen with Portal 1 or any other Source engine game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:38 Stolk

If loading was too fast that little graphical effect of the Aperature logo that plays out and improves as you progress in the game wouldn't have time to play out.

I know. Just saying.

51. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:33 Bludd

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:15:
Bludd wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:09:
My biggest problem is the constant loading. Finish a room, and you have a loading elevator. I HAVE 6 GB RAM FFS!

That is annoying, and I attributed it to cross platform development.

But it's still not a show stopper for me.
Well, not really for cross platform. It is more of being able to quickly switch challenges around. It would be more work for them to make big levels with different challenges in a certain order instead of just making challenges as levels and then stringing each challenge between loading screens as they have done. I see why they have done it, but it is annyoing. I wish loading was faster, like they would stream the next level so it would load instantly.

50. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:33 Tumbler

I think people notice the loading screens a lot more because they are full screen black affairs now that feel a bit out of place and that's perfectly understandable.

If they'd had some fun with those screens it would help, they're just empty. In Crysis 2 you had full animated movies related to the story to watch. I hear in MK the loading between matches on the SP side is done behind cut scenes so you're watching a movie between fights, game loads into the background and the transition is seemless, right into the next fight.

Loading between MP is also pretty bad but at least you're looking at your robots on a treadmill...

Think of this as an opportunity to improve an already excellent game. Valve could update these screens with fun screenshots or something more useful and the community would cheer that valve is giving them free content and making their games better!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

49. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:26 DG

Got through the first couple of levels last night before realising I was going to be rudely late for meeting some people...

Mouse felt weird, turned off acceleration and that was that sorted.

There's very much a floaty feeling. There's many worse games, but it's always like the character has to finish a stride after you stop pressing a direction. I'm a stickler for accurate moving so this is a definite annoyance; if I was doing some score for a review or something this may knock off as much as 5 points. Out of 100.

The constant loading is also annoying. Tiny map to another tiny map? Loading! And for the size of the maps, not a quick load either. There goes another 5 points. Well probably less since that's not going to matter once the maps get bigger anyway.

Oh yeah and the market thing is a bit ghey, but whatever.

So far so.... Nothing to fuss about.

48. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:22 DrEvil

shul wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:26:
With an SSD, the loading times are much more bearable.

Although I do think that some caching is in order here valve.

Yeah, no kidding. This is the first title my 10K RPM SATA drive actually takes more than just a few seconds to load for each level :-)

47. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:21 Verno

descender wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 13:03:
With a 10k raid0 I see the loading screen for about 7 seconds. If that's a problem for people they need to go play Civ5 or DA2 or some other game that spends 20+ seconds loading and get some perspective.

I don't really see any difference in load times between my SSD and my mechanical HD for this game so /shrug. Usually between 7-10 seconds for both.

Also, Yes, there was a loading screen between EVERY level in the first one as well... but it wasn't fullscreen so it didn't bother people I guess? People are nuts. This game rules.

I think people notice the loading screens a lot more because they are full screen black affairs now that feel a bit out of place and that's perfectly understandable. It's not like people are acting like this is the end of the world or something, calm down.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

46. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:14 kibbled

Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 11:46:
I was surprised by how bad the DLC is - £1.59 for a gesture? I'll give Valve a gesture for free. That genuinely makes horse armour look like a good deal. However, it's all entirely ignorable so to hell with it, the game's pretty good so far. It was never going to be as good as Portal because Portal came out of nowhere.

Question (spoiler): I haven't finished it yet so maybe this is explained, but how come the protagonist is back in Aperture's labs? I assumed I was a completely different character until GlaDOS recognised me.

As someone said above read the comic also Valve updated Portal 1 with a patch where Chell was dragged back to Aperture Science after beating GLaDOS.

45. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:12 DNForever

I'm just wondering how all these reviews are already out. They shouldn't even be called reviews but first impressions. You shouldn't write about something until you're absolutely sure what you think of it. Just ask Robert Christgau about that. Judging from the time, everyone who wrote a "review" would have had to do almost nothing else but play the game through, and then start writing immediately. Your immediate impressions aren't always the reality of how much you like a game. This is the simple explanation of why all the PC users seem to be complaining - you have to consider the source. It's a fallacy to make a generalization about PC gamers from complaints coming from those who have foolishly written about the game already.

Expectations are really what kill most of your enjoyment in life and video games. No one, developers included, expected that much from Portal. When you want a game to deliver in every possible way, be prepared to be let down.

44. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:11 Beamer

Everyone here who is complaining about complainers should follow your own advice and shut the fuck up.

Now you're complaining about complaining about complaining.
And I'm complaining about complaining about complaining about complaining.

How many intervals of this before we find my dead french wife?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

43. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:09 Beamer

Canít say that Iím a bit surprised at any of this, this is what Consoles have done to the pc and those of you that keep supporting Consoles and DLC will keep getting this crap shoved down your throats.

If the result of my playing consoles is Valve releasing Portal 2 then I think I did a good job.
Maybe if we all play consoles we'll get Half Life 3!

I like your logic (and it isn't too far off from the potato sack!)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:06 descender

The reviews of the PC edition of Portal 2 on Metacritic reflect the unhappiness of immature 4chan idiots that try to tank review scores for no reason.  

41. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:03 descender

With a 10k raid0 I see the loading screen for about 7 seconds. If that's a problem for people they need to go play Civ5 or DA2 or some other game that spends 20+ seconds loading and get some perspective.

Also, Yes, there was a loading screen between EVERY level in the first one as well... but it wasn't fullscreen so it didn't bother people I guess? People are nuts. This game rules.

40. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:00 ELITE

I didn't see anyone answer your question.
It's not a spoiler - if you read the online comic - you'll see why she is where she is.

Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 11:46:
I was surprised by how bad the DLC is - £1.59 for a gesture? I'll give Valve a gesture for free. That genuinely makes horse armour look like a good deal. However, it's all entirely ignorable so to hell with it, the game's pretty good so far. It was never going to be as good as Portal because Portal came out of nowhere.

Question (spoiler): I haven't finished it yet so maybe this is explained, but how come the protagonist is back in Aperture's labs? I assumed I was a completely different character until GlaDOS recognised me.

39. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:59 Stolk

Nameless Again wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:56:
Everyone here who is complaining about complainers should follow your own advice and shut the fuck up.

Stop complaining. They can complain about complainers if they want to. Although making fun of them would be better!

38. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:56 Nameless Again

37. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:55 Verno

Cabezone wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:37:
The mouse is in no way floaty...which would be a deal breaker. It's just a bit of weirdness in how the character moves around.

Exactly, it just feels a bit loose. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it but I just finished Portal 1 a few days ago and that game had pretty tight controls. Not a big deal though, most people will have adjusted by the second test chamber assuming they notice at all.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

36. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:40 Tumbler

I played a bit of Portal 2 last night, shocked that I ended up with free time yesterday! Was delighted to see that the game functioned in every way on the ps3 without any unique code entered. Just connected to my steam account and found a match with another player and we made it through maybe 5 levels? Then we were stumped. The MP is a lot of fun.

The SP campaign appeared to be what many of the complaints were in regards to when I read the user reviews. Overall length is very short I guess and so far the game isn't all that impressive in SP. (referring to user reviews)I see more detail and it's prettier to look at but so far the puzzle areas/ levels are extremely short and it's getting a little old to get taking this random elevator to the next spot...the facility doesn't feel connected to me, just feels like a bunch of seperate levels that have a similar theme... First one felt tighter to me, I think it's the loading screens. Seeing that aperature screen between EVERY level is kind of ridiculous. First one might have done this as well I just don't remember it being such an obvious stoppage of gameplay.

I'm really happy with the purchase, I have portal 2 loaded on my PC and I can give my ps3 copy to my brother in law and he can play it on his ps3 and we can play it together! Plus I can trade it for a newer game in a month or so!

I hope they jump on more content for MP. I love the robots. I was disappointed to see I was human when I started the SP campaign. I want to be a robot!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2011, 12:46.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

35. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:37 Cabezone

The mouse is in no way floaty...which would be a deal breaker. It's just a bit of weirdness in how the character moves around.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

34. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:32 Atomic

Well, I guess it shows even asshats can recognize when others are executing even greatly levels of asshattery.

Enough folks on here who's opinions I trust say the game is fun. That's all that matters to me. The other stuff is easy to ignore.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo