Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 User Review Backlash

The reviews of the PC edition of Portal 2 on Metacritic reflect the unhappiness of some users with Valve's just-released puzzle sequel. While the game boasts a 95 score based on critics' scores, the user score has dropped to 7.3, as there are 101 negative reviews as of this writing, many of them giving the game a zero. GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) summarizes the situation:

The complaints appear to come primarily from PC users, upset that the game is a console port - and even includes references to turning off the 'console' when saving. Most anger, though, seems to be directed at the online store - which is already filled with downloadable content.

The volume of day one downloadable content seems to have come as a surprise to many PC users, unused to the console-style arrangement. They have also expressed disappointment at the game's short running time and the controversial ARG promotional campaign - which tempted players into buying unrelated indie titles.

View
153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

33. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:31 StingingVelvet

The game is in no way a console port. It looks great, plays great, controls great. Maybe the brief UI pop-ups are too large, but other than that it's about as PC as you can get. I can't even imagine some of the faster jump puzzles working with an analog stick.

As for the store I do agree it's tacky, but it doesn't ruin the game. It doesn't effect the singleplayer at all which is the focus of the game for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:29 Fion

It is a little jarring to see dozens of paint jobs, hats and gestures on the store for $4 a pop, I'll give the complainers that. But the game is awesome, as fun as the original though perhaps only the co-op gets really challenging. 'Don't turn off your console' messages are extremely annoying to be sure but the game works wonderfully on any PC so I don't see what the big deal is.  

31. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:27 Halo

The Glorious PC gaming master race.  

30. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:26 shul

With an SSD, the loading times are much more bearable.

Although I do think that some caching is in order here valve.

29. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:23 Jerykk

Couldn't have said it better myself. They have themselves to blame for the decline in focus

Not really. They have the exponentially higher sales of consoles to blame. If PC games sold the most, they could complain all they want and still remain the focus of the industry.

28. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:22 LFace

Found the screengrab of 4chans assault ..

Right here

27. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:20 |RaptoR|

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:17:
PC gamers are the spoiled little entitled brats of the gaming industry. Nuff said.

Couldn't have said it better myself. They have themselves to blame for the decline in focus

26. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 Rattlehead

PC gamers are the spoiled little entitled brats of the gaming industry. Nuff said.  

25. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 LFace

I read the other day at work on a forum that 4chan had a rally to get people to put negative reviews on metacritic for Portal to lower it down a lot. Cant find the link now im home unfortunately though, but after checking the reviews straight after I read about it, sure enough loads of people were downmarking it to the figures 4chan mentioned of 3's and 4's...  

24. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:15 nin

Bludd wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:09:
My biggest problem is the constant loading. Finish a room, and you have a loading elevator. I HAVE 6 GB RAM FFS!

That is annoying, and I attributed it to cross platform development.

But it's still not a show stopper for me.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:12 Linksil

That floating feeling is because your walking on springs, or gel, or a combo of both. I didn't even notice it other then a few seconds to realize how the character ran. Like every game when you start playing there's always 1-2 mins of getting used to how the physics are tuned.

Yea people down scoring things for little things like shipping and pre marketing camp's really is starting to annoy me.

PS: A Mac is a PC. Consoles are kinda PC's too...

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

22. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:10 BiancoNero

I liked Portal 2. The puzzles were a bit too easy for my taste, but even so it took me a good 6 hours to finish single player.

The DLC irritated me a bit, but if people are willing to spend that much on hats and gestures, then it's ok with me, seeing as they might partially fund the development of Valve's future games.

It's definitely no console port. The source engine was PC-only and was ported to consoles. Only because the wording of one sentence contains console-lingo does not diminish the otherwise stellar PC gaming experience.

21. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:09 Bludd

My biggest problem is the constant loading. Finish a room, and you have a loading elevator. I HAVE 6 GB RAM FFS!  

20. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:08 Somnambulator

wtf? this is just as unconsolized as every other valve game...there's virtually nothing consoled about it. you wont find a pc gamer in the world more critical of console ports (even good ones) but this isnt one. at all. this is a true PC game.  

19. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:04 Shok

I played it for 5+ hours last night and its one of the best PC games I've played in years. I have to admit I don't finish many PC games but the level detail, animation, sound effects, humor, and overall fun of Portal 2 will have me playing it till the last level.

Downrating a game on metacritic for petty reasons is childish. It's one thing if a game crashes a lot or has a bad design but to downrate because of the marketing campaign or because there are added features which you don't even have to use are in it is ridiculous.

18. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 Darks

Canít say that Iím a bit surprised at any of this, this is what Consoles have done to the pc and those of you that keep supporting Consoles and DLC will keep getting this crap shoved down your throats.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 Kxmode

Jim wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 11:51:
Bitch, bitch, piss, moan, whine! Wah! Wah!

~~~~[ Konami God mode enabled ]~~~~

16. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:00 Verno

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 11:55:
That floaty feeling you describe is a deal breaker for a lot of people.
I know it would be for me, if it truly felt console-ish.
I'll wait till it's on sale.

Nah it's not that pronounced. It took maybe 2 minutes to adjust to it and now I don't even notice it. I think it's mainly because I played Portal right before playing Portal 2 so the differences were pretty stark at the beginning.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

15. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:00 Stolk

My god people are out of their fricken minds. I'm glad I'm not like them and actually love the game, and admit it.  

14. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 11:55 Tanto Edge

That floaty feeling you describe is a deal breaker for a lot of people.
I know it would be for me, if it truly felt console-ish.
I'll wait till it's on sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

153 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo