Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ars Technica - Why complaints about Valve's Portal 2 ARG miss the point.
As the "main" game progressed, the titles in the Potato Sack were updated with new levels and content. If you were able to finish that content you earned Potatoes that were used to move the whole thing along. The thing is, the new content was all Portal themed, and gave new life to games people may have already finished. In a world where people are used to paying real money for new content for their games, these developers were giving away new content for free.

MCV - Give 'em an inch.
But there's no escaping the fact that some of you, and some of the wider gaming public, are – for want of a more eloquent description – morons. Last month we had to shut down comments on MCVuk.com because of this very phenomenon. A tragic and feeble few were ruining the fun for the decent and noble many.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 20:11 Golwar

By Tumbler's own kind of logic I declare that he tries to scam us all. Burn him!

Seriously Tumbler, it's sufficient when you drop your unsustainable claims just once. Simply share your deeper insight, recognize when you are all alone and drop it.
But I can't bear to read it all over again and again. Ain't it enough when MCV flags your kind "morons"?

It is exactly as both articles commented it. In the worst case you could have simply ignored all the mojo, as I did. It isn't Valve's mistake when some people know no boundaries with their expectations. You know, this is ... the real world, right? No need to mention this fact everywhere, at least not for the normal people.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2011, 20:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 19:22 Burrito of Peace

LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL  

8. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 16:48 Dades

Tumbler wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 16:10:
LOL, that comment looked so nice before I read it. Nice and long, should be a well thought out statement, can't wait to read it....

LOL.

LOL don't strain yourself trying to read or anything.

LOL.

7. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 16:40 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 15:04:
I had to stop for a moment while reading this to gape in awe at some of the whiniest, most self entitled babble I've seen on the Internet. Do you understand the purpose of an ARG?

It's Tumbler. He's so mad at the "horrible DRM crap" that is Steam he'd be bitching if Valve gave away Portal 2 for free. Of course he'd be upset that games he didn't pay for didn't unlock Portal 2 early; It's just another sign that every developer out there is personally out to fuck him.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2011, 16:49.

6. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 16:10 Tumbler

I had to stop for a moment while reading this to gape in awe at some of the whiniest, most self entitled babble I've seen on the Internet. Do you understand the purpose of an ARG? People like this should be shot out of a cannon aimed at a mountain of animal feces for not understanding the difference between an actual scam and personal disappointment, the latter resulting from your own ridiculous assumptions and behavior. If you ever manage to climb out of said mountain please do not rejoin society. Many people disparage console gamers on this site but comments like that make the average screaming ten year old playing call of duty 7 look good.

LOL, that comment looked so nice before I read it. Nice and long, should be a well thought out statement, can't wait to read it....

LOL.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 15:04 Dades

Well it's ok if they scammed you this one time, look how many other times they've been nice to you! Why are you mad? That is like a ratio of 12:1 when you consider it. Really you shouldn't be mad until they scam you 11 more times...and even then you've broken even, technically speaking you shouldn't be mad until they scam you a dozen more times!

Sadly in the real world all those atta-boys don't matter when you screw up. You still need to take responsibility for the screw up.

I had to stop for a moment while reading this to gape in awe at some of the whiniest, most self entitled babble I've seen on the Internet. Do you understand the purpose of an ARG? People like this should be shot out of a cannon aimed at a mountain of animal feces for not understanding the difference between an actual scam and personal disappointment, the latter resulting from your own ridiculous assumptions and behavior. If you ever manage to climb out of said mountain please do not rejoin society. Many people disparage console gamers on this site but comments like that make the average screaming ten year old playing call of duty 7 look good.

e: fixed spelling

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2011, 15:15.

4. Re: Why Complaints miss the points Apr 20, 2011, 14:23 Siward

My sentiments exactly. If Valve wanted a good will tie-in to the Potato Sack, they needed to be less obtuse about it. As it stands, this still feels like a marketing campaign designed to make Valve money by selling a group of games tied to a Valve game. While I can understand that the Ars folks are probably tired of hearing the outcry over this, the opposing extreme isn't really adding any meaningful discourse to this discussion.

I'd love to assume that Valve has a good reason for this. Someone on Valve, please come out and explain the thought process.

3. Re: Why Complaints miss the points Apr 20, 2011, 14:05 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 13:26:
Sadly in the real world all those atta-boys don't matter when you screw up. You still need to take responsibility for the screw up.

Spot on. And for the record, I do believe Valve did go into this thing with good intentions but didn't quite think it through enough with the possible negative consequences. And we know what the road to Hell is paved with. Only time will tell if they've learned from this, but a lot of the resentment could be assuaged if Gabe came out and talked about this as a post-mortem and where they'll go from here with these types of things in future.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Why Complaints miss the points Apr 20, 2011, 13:38 Halo

I'll just buy the game for 12 dollars this Christmas on steam and be perfectly happy.  

1. Re: Why Complaints miss the points Apr 20, 2011, 13:26 Tumbler

Well it's ok if they scammed you this one time, look how many other times they've been nice to you! Why are you mad? That is like a ratio of 12:1 when you consider it. Really you shouldn't be mad until they scam you 11 more times...and even then you've broken even, technically speaking you shouldn't be mad until they scam you a dozen more times!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo