Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Portal 2

As noted on GLaDOS@Home, the release of Portal 2 took place in the wee hours of this morning, just after midnight eastern time. The preorder bonus for the puzzle sequel is gone, but you can get 10% off on a two-pack, and 60% off on the Potato Sack + Portal 2 bundle.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 20, 2011, 05:15 eRe4s3r

But your hand is not your head. Your are pointing on a 2d-projection where to aim with your hand.

This like pointing with the finger. So inverse mouse look is fairly weird. Unless you grew up with rc planes and cars i guess. Then non-inverse is weird.

Today however, nearly everyone uses normal mouse look

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 20, 2011, 04:55 eRe4s3r

I have played through twice,

Once - 6h 30m
Twice - 4h 30m (i had specific achievements as goal though, turret + air plate, last message, Smash tv, the doors, borealis, cube catching, scanner, pit boss, refuse to do chap 8 test 1)

And i achieved all SP achievements, with the exception of 1 (70s in test chamber 10) thats the last one i try

But then i usually don't dawdle around.

That said, i enjoyed the 2nd playthrough far more, because i tried some alternative solutions (sadly all of the liquid puzzles don't have any) and i knew where to go.

So basically, 99% completion of SP takes about 11 hours. And i played another 2 hours in coop

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 20, 2011, 03:33 Dev

Finished it, was quite fun. I'd say playtime is around 12 hours for single player campaign. That other guy who had 6 hours must have been rushing it (perhaps using forums to help him?).
I think thats about the same length as portal 1.
I enjoyed the story, the humor present in portal 1 is still there and there's much more of it. I laughed out loud at a number of parts.

But this one also has a co-op campaign thats totally unique. My guess is thats another 8 or 10 hours as well. Add it together and its at around 20 hours of playtime if you don't replay. The co-op is definitely worth replaying parts, its a new experience with different friends. I've enjoyed what I've played of that campaign.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 20, 2011, 01:06 Suckage

So far I'm enjoying the game on its own... but it really seems to fail in terms of continuity with the first one... and especially with the interim comic.  

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 23:26 reisub

Dev wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 19:29:
reisub wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 18:43:
Just read there are no advanced/challenge chambers. That's a bit of a shame. Hopefully we'll see some later.
Wasn't that added to original portal with a patch? I'm sure they will add it to portal 2 as well. The only question is going to be, is valve going to stick to their track record of free DLC for PC.
I came late to the party with the Orange Box so I honestly don't know if it came later. You may well be right. It would be fairly easy for them to add I assume, if it's not there already.
Sepharo wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 23:01:
Really? That's disappointing, I was looking forward to the "least portals" challenges.
It was just one comment on another forum I frequent. Let's hope if it isn't there it will show up soon, as I was looking forward to the same thing (least footsteps not so much :D).

Is it definitely not there? It's not like I own the game yet anyway, so I think I can wait a bit. x)

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2011, 23:32.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 23:19 Fion

I'm sure the challenge stuff will be released as DLC, the community will be clamoring for it.

Anyone tried the co-op? It's so damn fun, and funny. I was laughing with a friend of mine so hard after Glad0s said something we were both like 'man we haven't laughed like that in a game since Quake 2!'.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 23:01 Sepharo

Just read there are no advanced/challenge chambers. That's a bit of a shame. Hopefully we'll see some later.

Really? That's disappointing, I was looking forward to the "least portals" challenges.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 19:29 Dev

Wasn't that added to original portal with a patch? I'm sure they will add it to portal 2 as well. The only question is going to be, is valve going to stick to their track record of free DLC for PC.
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 15:41:
I don't ever want to boot to my other win7 install on an ordinary SATA drive. I don't care that it has all my games and programs installed. This shit is so much faster!
If we are talking same computer, you can make steam think its installed wherever it normally on your hdd is but point the portal 2 folder to your other install on the SSD. You use junction folders.
You can learn how to do it with command line stuff, or just use this handy dandy utility:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 19:16 jimnms

descender wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:48:
Think of the mouse as putting your hand directly on the head of the person you are controlling. Now make him look "up".

That's why we use reverse mouse.

That's a good way to put it. I use "reverse mouse" too (I think of it as normal though). I suspect most people that grew up playing with RC cars/planes will naturally want to pull back to look up.

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 18:08:
Yup, just a difference of if you see yourself as controlling him or being him.

All just in how you visualize it.
Even if I visualize being inside the head, if I want to look up I tilt my head back, so naturally I want to pull back on the mouse to look up.

Steam Profile

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 19:15 Lorcin

OMG I'm so happy it's copied valve_ps3_legals.bik and valve_xbox_legals.bik onto my harddrive. There's nothing like waisting bandwidth and diskspace on bloatware.  

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 19:12 nin

Does your character seem to slide a bit more during movement, or is it me?

Also surprised at the number of loading screens.

Still happy, though.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 18:43 reisub

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 18:08 Beamer

Yup, just a difference of if you see yourself as controlling him or being him.

All just in how you visualize it.
Plus, if I want to hit something three pixels above the cursor I want to push up, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 17:48 descender

Think of the mouse as putting your hand directly on the head of the person you are controlling. Now make him look "up".

That's why we use reverse mouse.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 17:40 Beamer

The default movement for joysticks was always push forward to dip the nose, and down to climb. Since Descent (1/2/freespace) and EF2000 (and Total Air War) were some of the first games I played, anytime I'm in a "3d" environment I want the mouse to behave that way. If they ever take away that option from games I'll be in big, big trouble.

Lots of people feel this way.
For me it makes no sense (not that it needs to), because it works that way in a flight sim because you pull the yoke towards yourself to go up. With a mouse I see it more as up/down than forward/back, and I see it more as an extension of my head. I want up to look up.

Again, only needs to make sense in your own mind. I think in 3rd person games I'm flipped from FPS, as you're now controlling a camera that moves down to look above a character, but I could be wrong on that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 17:10 Kosumo

Up to chapter 6, my only minor whinge is I do not find that the voice of "Whelly" (the blue sphare thing) fits - it's to human, I would have like to have it with a little fx on it.  

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 17:08 DNForever

Why I use reverse mouselook - in a word, flying games.

The default movement for joysticks was always push forward to dip the nose, and down to climb. Since Descent (1/2/freespace) and EF2000 (and Total Air War) were some of the first games I played, anytime I'm in a "3d" environment I want the mouse to behave that way. If they ever take away that option from games I'll be in big, big trouble.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 16:00 briktal

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 15:41:
Frijoles wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:14:
One thing I do dislike is the constant loading. Run over here, load. Run over there, load. Time to retire Source.

So glad I recently set up my dual 120gb SSDs in jbod. My game decrypted in less than a minute, and loading times between sections are nearly unnoticeable. Easily less than 5 seconds.

I don't ever want to boot to my other win7 install on an ordinary SATA drive. I don't care that it has all my games and programs installed. This shit is so much faster!

I think the real problem with the loading is that there's now an actual loading screen, instead of just a little "Loading" popup.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 15:41 ForgedReality

Frijoles wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:14:
One thing I do dislike is the constant loading. Run over here, load. Run over there, load. Time to retire Source.

So glad I recently set up my dual 120gb SSDs in jbod. My game decrypted in less than a minute, and loading times between sections are nearly unnoticeable. Easily less than 5 seconds.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 14:31 DrEvil

Ray Marden wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:45:
Nin, I am left handed and use a right-sided mouse.

However, that is no excuse for using reverse mouselook.

Go take your pop tarts and 3DFX cards and sit in the corner...
For shame!
Noting this is not a left hand-friendly world,
Ray

Ditto; left-handed people are the only ones in their right-minds of course ;-)

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo