Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Trailer

The RAGE Website now offers a new gameplay trailer from RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. The clip features gameplay footage showing the player on a quest in the Dead City. Included is a lot of combat demonstrating the use of several weapons on various enemies.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 24, 2011, 23:06 siapnar

So say I'm playing a game capped at 30 fps on a 60hz monitor.
I'm seeing a stuttering effect similar to the juddering I see when I watch the camera pans in 24p movies.
If you play most console games, this is also apparent, because they are capped at 30fps.
If I had a 30hz monitor, would it be smooth because it perfectly syncs? Just like 60fps looks mint on a 60hz monitor?

Either way, I saw stutter/judder in this new RAGE trailer, so if it's actually running at 60fps, they shouldn't cheap out on the video capture/compression.

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 24, 2011, 12:34 Beamer

JuDDering is definitely there when I play a game capped at 30fps or watch a movie at 30fps on my 60hz displays.
Only 60 or above is silky smooth.

I don't think you mean juddering. Jerky gameplay, sure, but that isn't judder. Judder is a very specific thing caused from frame duplication or frame skipping. You're talking about in-engine stuttering and jerkiness, which would be obvious even on a 30hz display.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 24, 2011, 03:29 siapnar

Beamer wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 14:47:
3) As you mention, judder comes from watching 24fps movies on a 60hz display. Watching 30fps on a 60fps display would not cause any judder.
I disagree.
JuDDering is definitely there when I play a game capped at 30fps or watch a movie at 30fps on my 60hz displays.
Only 60 or above is silky smooth.

If Carmack is so adamant about promoting the fact that RAGE runs at 60fps, the trailers should follow suit.
Countless game trailers have perfectly showcased their games running at 60fps (again, with no judder seen, despite the compression), which leads me to believe that in this particular video, RAGE is not running at 60fps.
Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but I don't agree with the notion that it's running at 60fps in this video,.

This RAGE trailer, on the other hand, is definitely 60 fps: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-rage/700654

If the game is indeed constantly running at 60fps, I'm not sure why they'd show this new trailer to be otherwise.. whether it's due to video compression or not.

That's all I'm saying.
Wasn't much need for the undermining tone, Beamer.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2011, 03:40.

49. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 14:47 Beamer

Although I don't doubt that Carmack said he specifically wants the game to run at 60fps... I saw juttering in the video.
I usually have an eye for it, and can't stand watching movies at 24fps on a 60hz display.

Again:
1) judder
2) You're watching a video. A video. Not the game playing.
3) As you mention, judder comes from watching 24fps movies on a 60hz display. Watching 30fps on a 60fps display would not cause any judder.
4) You're watching a video. It's worth repeating. If I take video footage running at 9 bazillion fps and convert it to a video that's not a factor of 60 then you'll get judder on a 60hz monitor. Heck, if I run a game at 72fps then I'll likely get some judder on a 60 hz monitor.

So your argument is flawed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 14:29 siapnar

Although I don't doubt that Carmack said he specifically wants the game to run at 60fps... I saw juttering in the video.
I usually have an eye for it, and can't stand watching movies at 24fps on a 60hz display.

(I have frame interpolation software on my PC so that all films I watch in MPC have the same effect as a pristine 120hz/240hz display)

Then again, my eyes could have failed me this time.

47. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 08:31 Jim

This looks pretty good. I question the wisdom of them releasing this the same day Portal 2 is out. They could have waited a week or 2 and then it would have been the top story of the day.  
Jim

46. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 04:00 bigspender

offical id software and valve games are always a day 1 purchase or pre-order.
They always get the fundamentals right -> movement feel and gun play and smooth frame rates.

edit - same goes for blizzard actually.

they might not always be innovative or original, but its the basics that order dev's just can't right which ruin games.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

45. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 00:38 Acleacius

What the hell's with all the bloom in the sky? Still something seriously wrong with the skies in this id engine. Not to mention, there was weird plastic effect on the actual buildings in the peripheral about three quarters through the video. Probably some bizarre reflection from overmapping.

It also started seriously lag in the last sequence where the mobs just starting materializing out of thin air (literally, afai can see).

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

44. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 22:36 Ant

It looks better, but I still need a free sampler.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 21:38 Pete

It looks ok. But I don't think this will be a day 1 purchase.  
Doin' it Big

42. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 20:39 Hellbinder

Bard wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:27:
Zuckuss wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 10:45:
Meh, After the BF3 trailer yesterday, I think I will pass on this. Or bargain bin at most.

Pity the whole BF series is utter crap.

uh yeah sparky sure it is... (looks for bottomless pit of rolleyes to post)

I mean, that is just an utterly dumb comment.

The Whales name is Bob.

41. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 19:49 entr0py

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:26:
This game actually looks really good. It's also nice to see they ripped off Krull, and you have a reusable glaive (the large shuriken-looking thing).

Naw it's a consumable secondary weapon. Early on you see him switch between frag grenades and "wingsticks". More of a batarang than a glaive.

I hope they're just revealing the weapons slowly. They all seem unorigional compared to some of the weapons in doom and quake.

40. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 18:50 Animals for Crackers

Minor correction 4D, in so much as I dislike Black Ops, I'm pretty sure it has dedicated servers.

As this clip is a big step up from the previous "trailer", I'm really hoping id is saving the best for last as we get closer to release.

Full disclosure here, I have a strong psychological need to see id succeed on this one. Go id!

I'd be a happy camper with having no multiplayer options if the single-player made up for it.

39. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 18:13 4D-Boxing

Nope. Carmack explicitly stated in a recent interview that he repeatedly and forcibly insisted that the game run at 60. He mentioned that as a result of that, they had to make some visual tradeoffs he wasn't completely happy about, but felt that 60+ was really important.

I would trade 60+ FPS for real dedicated server support! If Carmack won't give this to us 60+ FPS wont mean anything cause of sweet chunky lag goodness a la COD MW2 and BO. Though I love BFBC2 took forever to get rid of the lag. We need to be able to host our own or else we're in for painful ride.

38. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 18:10 BazzaLB

The first couple of weapon switches in the video didn't use a menu, so not all hope lost  
Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

37. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 18:01 Lorcin

For everyone complaining about the weapon switching menus are you even going to attempt to tell me you think Half-life's was better???  

36. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 17:47 descender

The console is capped, yes. The PC is only capped if you use vsync.

I will be playing in beautiful uncapped 16x12 85hz CRT glory. LCD's are for suckers.

35. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 17:44 descender

This is the part where you tell us Black Ops is the best FPS ever...  

34. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 17:34 The Half Elf

FiLTHY_SNiPER wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:04:
This video blew me away in comparison to the last couple RAGE gameplay vids. It looks a helluva lot more fun (apart from a few shortcomings), and the graphics are fantastic, even if the texture detail is low (console, obviously).

Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 11:33:
On the good side, the framerate was smooth as silk
I could clearly see pan juttering, so it's no doubt capped at 30fps like most console games.

With a controller, it's less noticeable, though.

xDarkMatterx wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:18:
Ok, Raven, now that Id has a new engine out, get to work on a new Jedi Knight game. THANKS!

This will never come, no doubt, but I'd definitely snap a batch in my pants if it did.

Actually the game is capped at 60fps, console and pc.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

33. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 17:27 Bard

Zuckuss wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 10:45:
Meh, After the BF3 trailer yesterday, I think I will pass on this. Or bargain bin at most.

Pity the whole BF series is utter crap.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo