Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - Did Valve Just Take Everyone For A Ride? Thanks nin.
This "game", though, violates that neutrality. A selection of games have sold through the roof this week (Portal 2 was #1 on Steam's charts, followed by the "The Potato Sack", the collection of indie games containing Portal 2 promotions, at #2), and sold purely because people wanted to play a Valve game early. While the indie developers involved are getting a nice bonus, proceeds from each sale are still going to, yes, Valve. To promote a game Valve developed. At the expense of other third-party games.

So people were sold games believing that purchasing them would let them get at Portal 2 early. And for all their trouble got the game...a few hours early. Making matters worse is the fact the console versions of the game, shipping on physical discs, are already finding their ways into people's homes one way or another (I've already got a copy on 360, for example, while my PC version sits at "pre-load"), and those people didn't have to spend an extra cent.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2011, 02:29 Ant

DedEye wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 20:29:
... I stopped pre-ordering games years ago; I got burned too many times. Every time I'm tempted by the latest (hard to resist with some of the marketing campaigns out there) I remember how I felt after getting Frontier:First Encounter, or MOO3 (and dozens more.....) So I wait a number of months for reviews, opinions, and price drops. I don't buy nearly as many games, but I have a problem with a coaster shortage now too ;)
Don't forget playable demos! That is the big point for me.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 20:29 DedEye

I'm not all that interested in Portal 2, but the ads did pique my interest in the indie games.....I checked them out but didn't see anything that appealed to me there either.

While their mini ad campaign is surely a success, it isn't necessarily "wrong", and is certainly not illegal, but imo it is underhanded, and perhaps intentionally misleading, although that would be extremely difficult to prove.

I did get some good deals this week off of Steam though; Borderlands GoTY for $7.50 and Civ 5 for $29.99. Having fun! =D

I stopped pre-ordering games years ago; I got burned too many times. Every time I'm tempted by the latest (hard to resist with some of the marketing campaigns out there) I remember how I felt after getting Frontier:First Encounter, or MOO3 (and dozens more.....) So I wait a number of months for reviews, opinions, and price drops. I don't buy nearly as many games, but I have a problem with a coaster shortage now too

31. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 20:11 .Drifter

My two cents, regarding the "release early" thing.
With the items and services I've seen that have been "released early," in nearly all instances the "early" was at least 1 day early, frequently more than one day. In no case can I remember, off the top of my head, any other item or service meaning "a few hours early" when they used the word "early."
If this experience that I've had is similar to what others have had, I can see how a number of people could have thought that the "early release" would be meaning more than a few hours. A matter of past experience influencing perception, I guess you could say?
That being said, early is early, I still got a crack at it before I went to bed and had to get up for work today, so I'm satisfied. I'd have even been satisfied if it hadn't unlocked until I got off from work, since that would have meant it hadn't been delayed.

As for the whole topic of being unable to release early due to a legal agreement with retail stores, my thinking on that is this:
What would be keeping Valve from advising the stores ahead of time that they were possibly going to release the game earlier than Tuesday due to a promotion they were running, and that to keep stores advised of the status of the early release they would be setting up a corporate only website, or email service, that would advise brick and mortar stores X number of hours ahead of the early release time that they were releasing the game on X date or at X time?
That would be keeping in the spirit of not releasing online before brick and mortar could, it would have allowed promo to start sooner, and it could have resulted in an even sooner release date. Since the stores would be advised X number of hours ahead of time, they could start selling in store at the same time as the unlock took place, and they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

30. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 19:53 DarkCntry

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:50:
Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:45:
As an aside, I have the cheapest version (PS3) sitting next to me, but no PS3.

Can anyone confirm that you need to log in to Steam on the PS3 to unlock this on the PC, or can I just enter a code into PC Steam for access?
If it's the former I'll be without this game until the PS3 price drops around E3. I've refused to pay more for a PS3 than I could have had it between November and January ($100 off MSRP; Amazon regularly offers $50 but nuts to that. I'm not sure a PS3 is worth $200 to me let alone $300 as streaming on-demand via TW and XBL has destroyed the need for BluRay for me.)

Yes, you need to login on PS3 first. Also I am not sure how the PS3 version is the cheapest, since the PC version was $35.

Buying it on PS3 netted you both copies, for the same price (if you pre-ordered from Amazon).

29. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 18:08 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 16:43:
It was a scam plain and simple. It's like a bunch of guys all going to buy a new car at a car dealership together and the dealer says, 'Hey if you all spend and extra $40 for a custom cup holder I'll give you a deal on the overall package!' and proceeds to knock a buck off the entire package. Technically he's fulfilled his obligation but it definitely goes against the spirt of what most people would consider reasonable. That's why so many people are cheesed at Valve. They just used an indie package to make themselves not look like total douchebags because they somehow "care" even though they're still getting paid. And even though they may have technically fufilled their obligation it was a scummy way to do it and it certainly went against the spirit of what most people consider a reasonable amount of time (e.g. several days to a week).

Okay, I propose they can mail all the big girls blouses a fucking box of tissues and a book titled "Have a Cup of Concrete and Harden the Fuck Up Princess".

Can't hurt anyway... X D

28. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:50 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:45:

Can anyone confirm that you need to log in to Steam on the PS3 to unlock this on the PC, or can I just enter a code into PC Steam for access?
If it's the former I'll be without this game until the PS3 price drops around E3. I've refused to pay more for a PS3 than I could have had it between November and January ($100 off MSRP; Amazon regularly offers $50 but nuts to that. I'm not sure a PS3 is worth $200 to me let alone $300 as streaming on-demand via TW and XBL has destroyed the need for BluRay for me.)

Yes, you need to login on PS3 first. Also I am not sure how the PS3 version is the cheapest, since the PC version was $35.

27. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:50 nin

Your ridiculous argument that this was a "scam" does not gain more credibility by repeating it ad nauseum.

Nor does your defending them.

Why didn't Valve just say "Play Portal 2 at midnight on 4/19! Here's how:" ? Did you ever wonder that?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:45 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:42 Beamer

'Hey if you all spend and extra $40 for a custom cup holder I'll give you a deal on the overall package!' and proceeds to knock a buck off the entire package. Technically he's fulfilled his obligation but it definitely goes against the spirt of what most people would consider reasonable.

Ah, now I see why Verno hates car analogies:
1) But that cup holder was worth maybe a buck, not the $40 you paid. The potato sack, or whatever they called it, was worth more than people paid. Whether it was to them or not isn't wholly relevant, as they're stupid if they'll spend an extra 85% to get a game early.
2) It wasn't to get a better price, it was to get it "early." And they did, though it was a completely meaningless early as it came out when most consumers were asleep rather than when most consumers were at work.
3) It was voluntary. Again, anyone that bought games they didn't want in hopes of getting another game a day or two early isn't reasonable in the first place.

-------------

24. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:42 descender

No one is losing ground. Your ridiculous argument that this was a "scam" does not gain more credibility by repeating it ad nauseum.

It's a very simple, you assumed something that was not true and never stated... and now you are all butthurt over the fact that they didn't "give you enough" even though you admit you did purchase the potato sack.

If you didn't purchase the indie games... what are you complaining about? That your delusions of self-entitlement are so vast that you think you deserved the game more than a day early?

As was said earlier, get over yourself.

23. Re: Have your cake and eat it too. Apr 19, 2011, 17:33 Wookiestick

I'm probably a minority on a dedicated gaming site, but personally an extra 12 hours +/- isn't going to kill me for a game whose single player portion from most indications is 3.5-4 hours.

If you bought those indie games, good for you.
To those that are complaining AND bought it... no one put a gun to your head.

Love thy wookie.

22. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 17:19 Tumbler

Well, 6 of the Popular Threads on the left of this article are about Portal 2......I think Valve did EXACTLY what they wanted to do.

You think Valve wanted people defending their honor from angry gamers about a stupid marketing gimmick at the release of portal 2? I would have expected them to want people talking about the game... I don't see a lot of that at this point, seems to be a bunch of Valve boys holding the line and losing ground all the time in arguments about what constitutes a douchebag.

But Indie developers benefited!

But no on forced you to play those games!

But you got something for your money!

But Valve makes really good games so it's ok!

But you didn't spend any money so you can't be mad!

But...but but, Portal 2 is here, so everything is ok now, see?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:43 Cutter

It was a scam plain and simple. It's like a bunch of guys all going to buy a new car at a car dealership together and the dealer says, 'Hey if you all spend and extra $40 for a custom cup holder I'll give you a deal on the overall package!' and proceeds to knock a buck off the entire package. Technically he's fulfilled his obligation but it definitely goes against the spirt of what most people would consider reasonable. That's why so many people are cheesed at Valve. They just used an indie package to make themselves not look like total douchebags because they somehow "care" even though they're still getting paid. And even though they may have technically fufilled their obligation it was a scummy way to do it and it certainly went against the spirit of what most people consider a reasonable amount of time (e.g. several days to a week).

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:30 Beamer

Scam is the right word. Look at the email I got from Valve today:

To whom it may concern,

I right to inform u that you're uncle died in Nigeria today. Mr. You, he left a great sum of money in his will for you, in fact the sum is 1 copy of Portal 2. We would like too give u this Portl 2, but do too banking procedure we msut first require u to buy 10 games u will like first. Pleeze do this as soon as possible. After witch u will have Portal 2.

Thank u
Gabe Newell
Please reference this number: 12345, when responding.

-------------

19. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:20 xXBatmanXx

Well, 6 of the Popular Threads on the left of this article are about Portal 2......I think Valve did EXACTLY what they wanted to do.

I applaud them. A lot of man hours was put into this game and the discovery of everything about the game. that is no small task that costs millions of dollars. I am happy for them and I am enjoying the game immensely. It is rare that after even a few hours of game play you feel like you already got your money's worth.

If you get a chance to play co-op with a friend - it is a blast. Worth the price of admission alone.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:04 swaaye

Personally I find the musthavenow preorder mentality sad and if such people fall for this kind of marketing then it's their own fault entirely. Gimme a break. Valve won and that's most of what Valve and Big Gabe want.  

17. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:00 nin

yet here you are still whining. Get over yourself

It's the topic of the thread. If you can't handle that, maybe it's you that should move along.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 15:49 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:17:
There are legitimate beefs about the way the ARG was run...yours isn't one of them.

A wild fanboy! It's so rare to see them outside of the official forums!

Didn't you say you weren't going to speak of this anymore? You think it was in the scam, yet you participated in it. Now that it's over, you say you don't want to talk about it anymore, yet here you are still whining. Get over yourself.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 13:25 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:17:
There are legitimate beefs about the way the ARG was run...yours isn't one of them.

You made yourself play a game you didn't like in an entirely optional community event to get this game released faster and I'm the fanboy here? That's some seriously backwards logic.

As I said, there are some legitimate beefs with the way the ARG was run and I've mentioned a few of them in previous topics. Pretending Valve "scammed" you and made you do something isn't one of them however.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

14. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 13:17 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo