Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

One Potato, Two Potato...

GLaDOS@Home shows computations are complete for seven games in the Potato Sack, leaving six more in the works. At this point it looks like Portal 2 will unlock around 4:30 am EDT.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 20, 2011, 08:23 eRe4s3r

I know this is probably too late now, but it took 4 days. At first i wasn't even sure i'd aim for 35 + 1 (the last you get when you have 35) I had about 6 at day 1 and didn't even understand you could get more than 1 potato in each game. But day 2, thankfully i took my time and read things, and then i made a checklist and wen't through each game, but even with solution, save games, dedicated servers or modified songs it was still a pain in the arse sometimes Particularly Audiosurf and Killing zone, but also AAAaaAaa, and 123 kick-it.

Had i known you get Portal 2 + the Complete Valve collection i could have saved myself 44€ though. But alas, no point in crying about it, i didn't have most of the complete pack yet either, just hl2 portal 1/2 and hl2 ep1. And i get why valve didn't say this beforehand. It'd have caused all kinds of exploiting and cheating.

Naturally after i had 30 potatoes my count and what i had didn't match up so i spend quarter a day trying to find why it doesn't match up.. oh the joy ;p

This is one thing i will likely never do again though. I realize now that i am not just getting older but my dislike for hunting the high-score has grown as well. Particularly in 123 Kick-it - you had to do 100% perfect runs on those songs when you don't "pad" them. At first i actually tried to do most of the things fully legit, but 123 kickit and audiosurf really took the cake. Those were nightmarish hard

Also i got potato 36 when the count-down was at 17 hours. So yeah, i could have easily borked it up and leave the game emptyhanded

Also for reference, i am Freelancer, and in between 2 projects - it fit perfectly!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2011, 08:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 20:23 Riker

spindoctor wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 18:06:
Listen carefully, because I'm about to blow your mind with a fucking amazing concept. It's not 4:30A.M. in every part of the world when it is 4:30A.M. for you...

You're forgetting what matters most, which is that it will be 4:30am for me (actually now looks closer to 2:00am, but it may as well be 4:30am).

70. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 18:09 Verno

spindoctor wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 18:06:
Listen carefully, because I'm about to blow your mind with a fucking amazing concept. It's not 4:30A.M. in every part of the world when it is 4:30A.M. for you...

Hang on just a second, do you mean the universe doesn't revolve around each of us individually? The hell you say!

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

69. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 18:06 spindoctor

Riker wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 17:45:
4:30am on Tuesday morning, oh thank you so much Valve! I'm a big supporter... but what the fuck were you thinking? Dick move, man.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

68. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 17:45 Riker

4:30am on Tuesday morning, oh thank you so much Valve! I'm a big supporter... but what the fuck were you thinking? Dick move, man.  

67. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 17:24 Hellbinder

giving people an opportunity to unlock a game early = good

giving people a motivation to help support indy developers = good

dangling a carrot in front of people that basically deceives them into paying for something based on an expected return that was never real to start with = VERY bad

the only way this would have been a win win for everyone is of this had been started a week earlier so that people could actually really unlock the game early.

people can justify this all you want, but in the end all it was, was a dishonest scheme to get people to buy some indy games with absolutely zero actual pay off even possible on the false promise made.

The Whales name is Bob.

66. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 17:00 descender

Or they could learn that people don't think having to spend money to knock a few hours of a release date isn't cool.

No one had to spend money, they chose to.

If you want to whine about exhibiting poor decision making skills, no one can stop you there.

65. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 16:59 descender

You must have me mistaken with everyone else in this thread.

If you made the assumption that it would be days and not hours, and then decided to be pissed when it turns out your assumption was wrong... that's Valve's fault?

You, sir, have a lot to learn about life.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2011, 17:04.

64. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 16:43 Cutter

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 14:37:
No one is trolling, stop whining.

I'm sure they will never be so dumb as to try to release a game early again because of you ungrateful louts.

Or they could learn that people don't think having to spend money to knock a few hours of a release date isn't cool. So either shut up and just surprise everyone by releasing it early or make it worthwhile by making sure an early release really is early, like a week at least.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

63. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 16:39 Kosumo

What the?

Did someone get a bus and take a load of Bluesnews commentors to a nudist beach?

Cos there seems to be a lot of sandy vagina's around here.

Try to keep your pants on next time people.

10.30 to go

62. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 16:05 Giller

I did a rough rate calc on the potato countdown..should reach zero in approx 9 hours. So around midnight Central time  

61. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 16:00 Mashiki Amiketo

entr0py wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 15:31:
Sauce? To me that's an unconvincing photoshop.
Take a look on the GLaDOS page linked here, you can see the top half of his head. Now then again it could be a convincing spot of rust, people see faces, eyes, etc in everything. But it does bare a resemblance.

Or you can look here:
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/portal2/gladosathome/background.jpg

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

60. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 15:59 Prez

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:52:
Never assume, you only make an ass out of yourself.

I'll take your word for it, since this thread clearly shows you indeed are an expert in making an ass out of yourself.

Jesus, could you whine any more?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 15:46 Vulkan

nin wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 13:52:
Potato counter is moving...

Newell must be hungry again.

58. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 15:45 Suckage

I'm curious to see what changes they brought to the Source engine.  

57. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 15:33 Verno

Yeah it's just speculation from the ARG wiki earlier, if you look at the portion of the page though it does bear a resemblance. Doesn't mean it will turn out to be anything of course but like most things with the ARG its just for kicks. It's like the Nine test subjects/nine TF2 classes thing. Probably meaningless but amusing nonetheless.  

56. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 15:31 entr0py

Verno wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 14:41:
That would be pretty rockin if that G-Man image in the page turned out to be part of a simultaneous HL3 announcement

Sauce? To me that's an unconvincing photoshop. I'm sure someone could line up a photo of sponge bob square pants somewhere on that background, if they don't mind rotating it, cutting off 2/3rds of the image and ignoring the parts that don't fit.

55. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 14:52 Verno

Sounds like Majestic and yeah it was a pretty rad game. I remember that thing would page you and everything, it was very well thought out. Almost like playing a videogame version of The Game. Unfortunately it got a lot of negative press attention and combined with lukewarm sales it ended pretty quickly.  

54. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 14:46 descender

ARG's are something I'm sort of surprised never took off with the internet age. EA had worked on one (i dont even remember if it ever came out) that was supposed to call your phone and all sorts of goofy stuff.  

53. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 14:45 nin

Alt Reality Game...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo