Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go

According to GLaDOS@Home, computations are now also complete for Cogs, Rush, and AaAaA, so the contributions of five of the 13 games in the potato sack towards an early release of Portal 2 are now done. As Dr. Rumack once (or twice) said: "We're all counting on you."

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 20, 2011, 05:37 Asmo

Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 04:33:
I guess that depends on how you define "harm." I'm pretty sure it hurt those people who went out and bought the Potato Sack in the hope of making Portal 2 release at least a day early.

If you are grinding, not playing, a game for some nebulous promise that was never specified, how can you claim you were ripped off.

The lie is one of omission, Valve didn't implicitly say how much time would be deducted from the get go. So the next time they try something like this, those with a big vag full of sand over it won't be likely to go in for it.

But 'harm'? Seriously? They bought the games voluntarily and played them voluntarily. The letter of the contract with the customer was fulfilled. Not only that, these games were all retro-fitted with Portal themed levels specifically for this, right? (so free extra content) Which then all fed in to the metagame which, apparently, some people really enjoyed.

For those who held Valve in high regard, this misleading marketing stunt has hurt Valve's reputation.

Agreed, people will be a lot less likely to participate in any Valve campaign in the future which requires a large amount of play time where the reward is not implicitly stated.

For me, my basic principles have been offended. I have a very low tolerance for bullshit and this countdown is, quite frankly, bullshit. Again, you may not care about any of this but apathy doesn't make for an effective rebuttal.

And that's cool, I'm not telling you not to be offended. I think you're overreacting, but I generally have a low tolerance for hyperbole so I might be judging you a little harshly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 14:53 Teddy

yuastnav wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 10:34:
Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:55:
[...]
If you were "critically thinking" as you claimed, you'd have forseen that they can't release the game before midnight the day of because of aformentioned legal issues.
[...]

Steam Front Page wrote:
HELP RELEASE PORTAL 2 EARLIER [...]

Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 22:11:
[...] People calling Valve liars are idiots at best, libellous at worst.

Nice contradiction you have there. Try logic next time. Might help.

*patpat*

I don't normally respond to pure idiocy, but I'm in a helpful mood.

If a release is scheduled for April 19th at 10am, and it ends up being released at April 19th at 1am, that's earlier. Check your clock. It's true.

Try a dictionary before you use the word contradiction again, and try and get yourself an education before you question someone else's logic.

Now if it had said "Help release portal 2 DAYS earlier" then you might have had something. As it stands, you just look like a fool raging over something that you could have worked out beforehand.

72. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 11:58 yuastnav

Jim wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:40:
Reading this thread gives good explanation for why we are no longer a superpower.

Yes because we're all clearly from the same country because there's NO WAY it could be otherwise.

Unless you would call "the world" a superpower. In that case disregard my comment as there are much more pressing issues you need to deal with first.

71. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 11:40 Jim

Reading this thread gives good explanation for why we are no longer a superpower.  
Jim

70. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 10:34 yuastnav

Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:55:
[...]
If you were "critically thinking" as you claimed, you'd have forseen that they can't release the game before midnight the day of because of aformentioned legal issues.
[...]

Steam Front Page wrote:
HELP RELEASE PORTAL 2 EARLIER [...]

Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 22:11:
[...] People calling Valve liars are idiots at best, libellous at worst.

Nice contradiction you have there. Try logic next time. Might help.

69. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 Umbragen

I really don't get it. Portal was an entertaining few hours, but it was absolutely nothing beyond that.

I'll be perfectly happy to wait 'till Valve gives this game away free too.

68. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 10:08 Verno

I can't see this as anything but a win for everyone involved. Indies get attention and increased sales. People get something to whine about and others get something to do while waiting for the release. Everyone gets the release a little early which never happens in the industry for the most part. Great marketing move on Valve's part and I hope this spurs more community led events to move typically static release dates around.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

67. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 07:48 Prez

As someone who is not planning to buy Portal 2 at release but wait until he has more time, I see the whole thing as much ado about nothing. Kind of a chintzy marketing gimmick by Valve, but nothing I'd really bad-mouth them for.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

66. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 07:48 nin

And I bet those bitching because it hasn't been released early enough aren't doing anything to help get it released.

You might want to do a little research over in the steam boards before making that statement. There's been a coordinated effort over there all weekend, and it hasn't effected the release time more than 6 hours. Which is exactly how Valve designed it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 07:25 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 04:32:
But where's the harm?
It's misleading advertisment. People are tricked into buying games without having any valid influence on the release date. No, people wont die from buying those games, but people, who think they can actually determine the release date were tricked into buying these games.

And thats the "harm". A moral harm. A shady marketing deal, where lying to people seems to be somewhat ok. No, it's not.

64. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 06:50 theyarecomingforyou

Unfortunately I agree that this is just a marketing gimmick. If this was a serious gesture then there would be the possibility to unlock the game several days or a week early, not just a few hours. This promotion is designed purely to increase exposure of the game and to generate sales for the Potato Sack, not to benefit end users.

Still, even if it's a few hours early that's not a bad thing and it gets the community behind the game. You can't really complain about this.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

63. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 05:57 vacs

Not sure what the problem here is? I will wait till the next steam holdiday sales and buy Portal for 20$ with all the bugs fixed.

That's so much more convenient than buying 13 games in the hope that Portal 2 gets released a day earlier while I still have 10+ AAA games on my Steam account waiting to be finished...

62. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 05:17 Golwar

If any scientists should need data to verify if games harm people, they should have an eye on this event and all the resulting ... "tragedy".

I don't know, but it seems that common sense is getting rare these days. Or is it just the lack of emotional stability?
All this excitement about a game release date, from blind enthusiasm to cursing and whining in the next second. I somehow doubt that a neutral person could rate such reactions as healthy or normal.

61. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 04:33 Jerykk

And I bet those bitching because it hasn't been released early enough aren't doing anything to help get it released.

I don't know how much of this thread you've actually read thus far but it's already been explained in detail why Portal 2 isn't going to unlock any earlier than Tuesday at midnight, no matter how many people play the indie games.

The people I'm calling morons are those that specifically went out of their way to buy and/or play the games hoping, without any verifiable evidence to back them up, that the game would land days early.

So Valve didn't lay out everything in black and white, bad bad Valve, cancel your pre-order and know that you've really hit them where it hurts...

Otherwise, where's the bleeding harm here? This isn't like popping a heart pill and getting liver cancer...

I guess that depends on how you define "harm." I'm pretty sure it hurt those people who went out and bought the Potato Sack in the hope of making Portal 2 release at least a day early. For those who held Valve in high regard, this misleading marketing stunt has hurt Valve's reputation. For me, my basic principles have been offended. I have a very low tolerance for bullshit and this countdown is, quite frankly, bullshit. Again, you may not care about any of this but apathy doesn't make for an effective rebuttal.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2011, 04:39.

60. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 04:32 Asmo

Kajetan wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 04:03:
Asmo wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 03:52:
This is just another opportunity to whinge and moan about anything.
No. It's just an opportunity to call a marketing campaign a marketing campaign, because that's what it is. Marketing to hype up people, who want to be hyped up about a video game release. And the "moaning" refers to people, who are naive enough to fell for this campaign, who think they can actually achieve something.

But where's the harm? A bunch of people played some indie games as part of a marketing jig, did any of them catch cancer or get irritable bowels because of it? (referring to the ridiculous pharmaceutical Godwin earlier in the thread)

In the end, a bunch of indie games got more exposure in 4 days than they probably did since release. It's a bleeding travesty, small producers with almost no advertising power shouldn't be allowed to be part of gimmicky mass marketing campaigns, obviously... /endsarcasm

Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 04:09:

No, it's an opportunity to criticize misleading claims from Valve. Look, as has been mentioned, nobody is criticizing the marketing campaign as a whole. It has undoubtedly drawn attention to a bunch of indie games and given them sales. That's great, it really is. However, it has absolutely no bearing on the fact that Valve has made misleading claims in regards to this countdown. Valve is not the first company to allow player participation to affect the release of content. However, in all those other cases, the requirements to unlock said content were very clear and player participation had meaningful impact on the content's release. Conversely, in this Portal 2 countdown farce, players were misled into believing they could unlock the game days in advance when Valve never had any intention of letting that happen.

Let's be realistic here. The only reason many people bought or played these indie games was because of this countdown. You can call them morons, you can argue that the games were worth buying anyway, etc, but none of that changes the fact that people believed they could make a meaningful difference in regards to Portal 2's unlock date. If Valve had openly stated that the game wouldn't be unlocked any earlier than Tuesday, I guarantee you that many people would not have bought the Potato Sack. You may not care about that fact but that doesn't give you sufficient basis to dismiss criticisms as unfounded whining.

A good example of a similar situation was when GOG misled people into thinking they were shutting down. Did they explicitly lie about it? No, they just used clever wording to imply it. Did it get them extra media attention? Yes, it did. Were there valid reasons to criticize the stunt? Yes, there were. Personally, I didn't really care that much about the ordeal. I still think GOG is the best digital distribution service and I continue to support them. However, I didn't go out of my way to insult or make light of people's criticisms just because I wasn't as passionate about them.

The people I'm calling morons are those that specifically went out of their way to buy and/or play the games hoping, without any verifiable evidence to back them up, that the game would land days early.

So Valve didn't lay out everything in black and white, bad bad Valve, cancel your pre-order and know that you've really hit them where it hurts...

Otherwise, where's the bleeding harm here? This isn't like popping a heart pill and getting liver cancer...

59. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 04:31 jimnms

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:17:
Everyone wins. X D

Except the people that wanted to play Portal 2 this weekend, after Valve announced Friday morning "Help release Portal 2 early".

They didn't get anything at all.

Steam Profile

58. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 04:09 Jerykk

No, it's an opportunity to criticize misleading claims from Valve. Look, as has been mentioned, nobody is criticizing the marketing campaign as a whole. It has undoubtedly drawn attention to a bunch of indie games and given them sales. That's great, it really is. However, it has absolutely no bearing on the fact that Valve has made misleading claims in regards to this countdown. Valve is not the first company to allow player participation to affect the release of content. However, in all those other cases, the requirements to unlock said content were very clear and player participation had meaningful impact on the content's release. Conversely, in this Portal 2 countdown farce, players were misled into believing they could unlock the game days in advance when Valve never had any intention of letting that happen.

Let's be realistic here. The only reason many people bought or played these indie games was because of this countdown. You can call them morons, you can argue that the games were worth buying anyway, etc, but none of that changes the fact that people believed they could make a meaningful difference in regards to Portal 2's unlock date. If Valve had openly stated that the game wouldn't be unlocked any earlier than Tuesday, I guarantee you that many people would not have bought the Potato Sack. You may not care about that fact but that doesn't give you sufficient basis to dismiss criticisms as unfounded whining.

A good example of a similar situation was when GOG misled people into thinking they were shutting down. Did they explicitly lie about it? No, they just used clever wording to imply it. Did it get them extra media attention? Yes, it did. Were there valid reasons to criticize the stunt? Yes, there were. Personally, I didn't really care that much about the ordeal. I still think GOG is the best digital distribution service and I continue to support them. However, I didn't go out of my way to insult or make light of people's criticisms just because I wasn't as passionate about them.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2011, 04:19.

57. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 04:03 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 03:52:
No. It's just an opportunity to call a marketing campaign a marketing campaign, because that's what it is. Marketing to hype up people, who want to be hyped up about a video game release. And the "moaning" refers to people, who are naive enough to fell for this campaign, who think they can actually achieve something.

56. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 03:52 Asmo

ASJD wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:27:
Asmo wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 20:39:
I'm still failing to see a downside.

A bunch of gamers are lied to and do a bunch of extra work that brings in lots of money to a corporation, all for a very tiny reward.

Yep, nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, Valve is buying everyone Ferrari's with the revenue from a collection of indie games that have been, for the most part, out for some time now...

Ya know what, if a bunch of gamers want to buy in to the marketing hype without clarifying exactly what they were getting, tough... If there are morons out there grinding indie titles to try and get Portal 2 sooner (rather than just playing for the sheer enjoyment of it), fuck em...

As a mechanism to encourage gamers to play more good indie titles (I already own most of them) and generate some hype around Portal 2, it's a good one. Yeah, they could have done things better, but the final solution is thus...

If you aren't interested in buying the indie games or don't want to play those games to get Portal 2 earlier, don't. Easy as pie. Valve get's no extra money, game comes out on time, blah blah blah.

55. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 01:50 xXBatmanXx

Well, still being released "Tuesday" anyway you look at it, but now instead of late afternoon or evening like they usually do (thus screwing us online activation or download from steam people over the retail midnight release) we now just get it at 0001 on Tuesday.

oh well. I still enjoyed the who thing.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo