Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Interview

The Diablo III interview on AtomicGamer chats with Kevin Martens, Lead Content Designer on Diablo III, Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. Topics include the dwindling number of AAA action/RPGs, the appeal of the genre, whether the Diablo formula needs tweaking after a decade, new features, introducing the series to new players, visual effects, camera angles, Diablo clones, and more.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 14:00 Slashman

Verno wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:56:
Yeah fair enough Slashman, I can understand that. I'm just saying people have to remember Diablo and Diablo 2 invented the formula really and the franchise hasn't had an update in forever so it's no surprise other games have further refined it.

I agree. And I think that's part of my whole indifference to D3.

I've followed the interviews and write-ups on it and a lot of the time I am honestly scratching my head at the things that Blizzard finds so critical that they need to dedicate large chunks of time to.

Its like: 'Yeah, we spent 4 months coming up with just the right inventory size for your character.' Or: 'We redesigned this character 5 times after we took it to completion and fleshed out all the skills.'

I mean...OK...so you're a perfectionist bunch. But...come on!

Its just irritating to think that something like making sure the Wizard's firespray spell arcs at just the right angle that it doesn't hit too many enemies at once is causing this game another 3 month delay.

There is a point at which it just becomes silly. Maybe not being a Blizzard developer, I don't get it. I'm willing to admit my ignorance though...so if someone else has insight into this stuff, feel free to correct me.

I can't go back to Diablo 2 either, it's way too dated in many aspects but it's incredibly old so that's no surprise. Most of the old games that I still enjoy playing no longer have modern equivalents.

I finished the game with every character. And that was enough for me. Oh wait...I may have missed the Amazon. Meh!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 11:56 Verno

Yeah fair enough Slashman, I can understand that. I'm just saying people have to remember Diablo and Diablo 2 invented the formula really and the franchise hasn't had an update in forever so it's no surprise other games have further refined it.

I can't go back to Diablo 2 either, it's way too dated in many aspects but it's incredibly old so that's no surprise. Most of the old games that I still enjoy playing no longer have modern equivalents.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

23. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 11:53 Slashman

Verno wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 10:16:
I still haven't seen a game do it as well as Diablo 2. It was the perfect combination of ARPG elements and high production values. It's a testament to how great a game it is that hundreds of thousands of people still play a decade later.

I dunno, Verno. I suppose I felt that way at the time. But now, years later and in retrospect, I'm still not quite sure why Diablo 2 is still so revered. It was a great game when it came out, yes. It had a decent story and some interesting characters. It didn't take a whole lot of risks with the formula or innovate it to a great degree.

I'm not sure if Diablo 3 will be able to wow me like its predecessor did.

I spent a good part of this weekend playing Magicka. A game with almost no loot, no real story, one class but a TON of fun. Sure it was buggy as hell when it came out but the basic idea behind the gameplay is fantastic.

Sometimes I do understand the extra long dev time that Blizzard puts in and the resulting great products, but I'm starting to wonder if they are simply just doing it because they can now.

They don't release things with cutting edge graphics, they don't release stuff with hugely complex and innovative systems, they just release really, really polished games. Not bad games, by any stretch.

Still...a decade for an isometric view hack n slash action/RPG game is a bit silly.

I'd say I'm more looking forward to another Magicka game than D3 right now.

22. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 11:52 Verno

So put him on ignore instead of acting like the troll you accuse him of being. You just give him more reason to keep doing it by antagonizing and feeding him attention. He's not going to suddenly stop doing it because it bothers you, if anything he will step it up. And for the record they are two entirely different games by two entirely different companies and while I see their situations as similar I can understand how someone would be more angered by one rather than the other.  

21. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 11:46 Beamer

Jesus give it a rest Beamer. Are you going to hijack every topic to whine about the state of the community and every person who rubs you the wrong way? For someone who always wants others to see the mature side of things that's a decidedly juvenile response.

It drives me nuts seeing people in Thread A whining about HL3 not being announced but in Thread B whining about Diablo 3 being announced.

You don't see giant hypocrisy there? How could someone doing this possibly be pleased?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 11:44 descender

"hundreds of thousands" seems a bit generous, but it's longevity does speak well of it. All based on running around in circles and killing cows.

I could understand still playing it if any content was introduced since LoD... or if there was any shred of difficulty in the upper modes... but I played a necro to lvl99 8 years ago, how has the game changed or improved since then to draw me back in?

I honestly don't understand how people are still playing it. Like doing the same crossword puzzle over and over and over...

19. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 10:49 Verno

Jesus give it a rest Beamer. Are you going to hijack every topic to whine about the state of the community and every person who rubs you the wrong way? For someone who always wants others to see the mature side of things that's a decidedly juvenile response.

You forgot the development hell part and half the features promised (like guild support and the like) never saw the light of day.

Maybe but you didn't mention the years of post-release support in other areas either. B.net wasn't equipped to handle guilds in the past unfortunately. They did however patch the game up quite a bit and add content in other areas so it's not like they dumped the game and never touched it again.

18. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 10:44 Beamer

Things you can count on Cutter doing:

1) Complain that a developer isn't discussing their unreleased projects (HL3)
2) Complain that a developer is discussing their unreleased projects (Diablo 3)

I guess it'd be easiest if they followed an exact schedule specific to his wants and needs regardless of their own development path and desires for quality.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 10:33 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 10:16:
I still haven't seen a game do it as well as Diablo 2. It was the perfect combination of ARPG elements and high production values. It's a testament to how great a game it is that hundreds of thousands of people still play a decade later.

You forgot the development hell part and half the features promised (like guild support and the like) never saw the light of day.

16. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 10:16 Verno

15. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 10:09 Kajetan

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 09:43:
Diablo 2 was not that good.
It was. It was that good, that it took years and several dozen attempts from other devs to finally beat the king of the genre. Which seems strange, because Diablo 2 is a very simple game, the whole ARPG genre isn't very complex. Best example of "Easy to learn, hard to master"!

14. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 09:43 descender

Nope, the rest of the world will rejoice and forget quickly about a few dry gamers that haven't found a new game to play in 10 years.

Diablo 2 was not that good.

13. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 09:41 RoTide

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 08:51:
By the time D3 comes out, it will be long forgotten as to what D1 and D2 were all about. Way too long, and the vets no longer care. They can dumb down D3 for all it's worth, (as I have seen in the Botox/Collagen look of the assassin's face , Really Blizzard?) even call it a different name, I have moved on. I will play D3, however, I am as eager for any new PC game release. Let it sit in queue. who cares anymore, Blizzard has turned sour with their pompousness.

It's not even about being pompous.. Diablo 1 came out when I was 16. It was great fun! 4 years later (20 now), we get Diablo 2. Woo, more fun! It's about this time I finally get cable internet and stop lagging!

It's been 11 years (to be entirely fair, 10, since LoD came out in 2001, but the following point still stands) since the last Diablo came out. I'm 31 now. I just don't care. Nostalgia hits and playing a new Diablo sounds like great fun, but to be honest, I'm just not a kid with tons of time on my hands. I can't finish my homework and play until I fall asleep.

To be honest, gaming for me has been waning. I'm just not as interested in games anymore. I'm not saying all of us 30 something gamers feel that way, but there just are more fun things to do in life than gaming.

My point? Stop rehashing decade old IP with version number increments. Release new IP within the same formula to build a new generation of gamer fanbase for the genre. By all means, release a new Hack n' Slash dungeon crawler, just do it under a new IP to get new gamers interested. Some of us old folk that know and love(d) Diablo just don't care anymore.

Of course, that's assuming the game wouldn't be hurt with a name change. Maybe "Diablo" has enough brand/name recognition to generate sales above what a new title would garner? Even if target demographic for D3 is those that were too young to have played D2:LoD?

12. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 09:28 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 07:24:
Cutter are you ever not angry?
It's Blizzard, they are known for long dev times and polished games. And really the only company left in the gaming industry that doesn't do the 'quick shit in a box thing' ala Dragon Age 2.

Yeah, I think there's something to be said for taking your time and doing it right. Even more so after seeing Dragon Age 2 *shudder*.

11. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 08:51 Optional nickname

By the time D3 comes out, it will be long forgotten as to what D1 and D2 were all about. Way too long, and the vets no longer care. They can dumb down D3 for all it's worth, (as I have seen in the Botox/Collagen look of the assassin's face , Really Blizzard?) even call it a different name, I have moved on. I will play D3, however, I am as eager for any new PC game release. Let it sit in queue. who cares anymore, Blizzard has turned sour with their pompousness.  

10. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 08:28 Wallshadows

It's Blizzard, they are known for long dev times and polished games. And really the only company left in the gaming industry that doesn't do the 'quick shit in a box thing' ala Dragon Age 2.

How anyone can still be surprised by this must not be very familiar with Blizzard as they are not only notorious for releasing information very early in production but are okay with taking their time and delaying if need be in order to release a polished product. In reverse, I am sure we would be hearing an outcry if Blizzard threw out their products with critical bugs and missing content.

The only loose exception would be Cataclysm but, for better or worse, their guinea pig hotfix strategy seems to have ironed out a large portion of the bigger bugs. The expansion itself, however, is another story.

9. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 07:24 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:17:
Haha, they are muppets! When did they announce this? It's going on what 3? 4? 5 years now? And yeah, the only way we'll know if it needs tweaking is if we ever get to actually play it. I really don't know that Diablo games warrant this kind of lengthy development schedule. I mean you can whip up the story easy enough and the environment can't be all that hard to get done so why so long? It's always seemed to me these guys milk it as much as they can in order to keep getting paid. Nothing wrong with that, but Bliz marketing has to stop announcing anything that's more than a year from release.

Cutter are you ever not angry?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 02:55 Kajetan

mag wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 01:34:
Sometimes you have to do more than click the RMB. That means they aren't actiony enough.
And not every time something awesome happens ...

7. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 18, 2011, 01:34 mag

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 23:39:
dwindling number of AAA action/RPG's? WTF are they talking about? action/RPGs are all we get anymore.

Sometimes you have to do more than click the RMB. That means they aren't actiony enough.

6. Re: Diablo III Interview Apr 17, 2011, 23:39 Beelzebud

dwindling number of AAA action/RPG's? WTF are they talking about? action/RPGs are all we get anymore.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo