Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Best Buy Adding Game Staff

Electronics giant Best Buy is planning on adding sales clerks and in-store sales desks specifically to support videogames, reports Gamasutra from an Analyst Day. This will apparently offer customers the same expertise on games that they can get about the other products they sell, as Best Buy describes the plan to add "dedicated, informed, and engaged employees focused only on gaming." They will drive customers to preorder games and "exclusive digital add-ons," and staff gaming desks, which will "create the destination for trade, preorder and digital offers." They say the changes will take place between now and February 2012.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Buy More too? Apr 16, 2011, 19:14 Ant

I hope Buy More does the same.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 16, 2011, 12:32 talmand

Ah, come on, Best Buy is a valuable resource in researching a major electronic device purchase. I go in there all the time and ask which device of a certain category I should buy. Whichever device is suggested immediately goes onto the "do not buy" list.  

17. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 19:09 DangerDog

I'm expecting Best Buy to announce store closures soon, they've over expanded way beyond what they can sustain.  

16. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 18:45 Creston

This will apparently offer customers the same expertise on games that they can get about the other products they sell

So... none? The shit BB's employees bleat while trying to sell TVs or basically any other product is unbelievable. It'd be a compliment to call it blatant lies.

Creston

15. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 18:37 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 11:50:
gilly775 wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 11:34:
nin wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 10:04:

There was a time, 15 years ago, when BB was awesome. But they've had a long fall since then...

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you worked there. It was never "awesome" working there in the late 90s.

No, but I can tell you my experience as a customer (from early 90s to 97 or 98), and the fact that they actually stocked shit, and the people that worked there gave a fuck.

Why would anyone in sales who does make grats or commisions give even the remotest fuck if they're making minimum wage or close to it? Hell man, if I had to work at one of those places I'd be looking for a place in back where I could hide to sleep or study away my shift. You get what you pay for.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 17:15 Kxmode

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 12:44:
kxmode wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 11:36:
Let Best Buy professionally install your video games because you're not a pro. We are.

LOL...you know those cases were previously used for something else. They never offered a service to install Xbox games...

Why would you crush my joke? Why? WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY?! Shakefist

13. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 15:14 Halo

Great and all but Amazon is fine for me. kthx  

12. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 13:16 LemonJoose

This sounds like a move that would facilitate buying and selling used games. My guess is that the staff will be trained heavily on how to push the used game side of the business, because BB will make a lot more profit off of it than new games.  

11. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 12:44 Dirwulf

kxmode wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 11:36:
Let Best Buy professionally install your video games because you're not a pro. We are.

LOL...you know those cases were previously used for something else. They never offered a service to install Xbox games...

10. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 11:50 nin

gilly775 wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 11:34:

There was a time, 15 years ago, when BB was awesome. But they've had a long fall since then...

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you worked there. It was never "awesome" working there in the late 90s.

No, but I can tell you my experience as a customer (from early 90s to 97 or 98), and the fact that they actually stocked shit, and the people that worked there gave a fuck.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 11:36 Kxmode

8. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 11:34 gilly775

7. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 11:07 Nameless Again

Hey! Looks like space captain's moving up in the world! Congrats!  

6. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:50 Jivaro

My question is this...

Which department is losing some staff for this? Is the guy who was selling washing machines last week now in the video game section because at a staff meeting he admitted to having a XBOX at home?

I mean be real, it isn't like Best Buy went out headhunting for gaming experts (whatever that means) to "hire up" for this move.

5. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:32 nin

When did being number-one or being the only game in town give retailers leave to become annoying parasites?

It's the "where else ya gonna go?" mindset.

4. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:30 Viktor King

Fantastic. Now we can get the desperate, starving, used-car-salesman routine we get in the computer section in the video games as well. Endless pitch after pitch about Geek Squad non-protection, extended warranties they won't honor and BB-exclusive DLC that barely ranks as high as 'worthless'.

When did being number-one or being the only game in town give retailers leave to become annoying parasites?

3. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:15 Verno

In other words more useless high school and college students who look like they would rather be anywhere else asking me halfheartedly if I need help with anything. Looking forward to it.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

2. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:04 nin

1. Re: Best Buy Adding Game Staff Apr 15, 2011, 10:01 Shineyguy

I don't know about anyone else, but I hardly find the rest of the staff in the Best Buy stores as being "dedicated, informed and engaged"... There are a few notable exceptions of course where there will be maybe one or two employees who know what they're talking about. But those are few and far between.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo