Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated]

GOG.com has a recap of their awesome presentation on CDP Days. Included is the announcement of the release of Alone in the Dark on GOG.com, which includes AITD 1, 2, and 3. They also tease the future addition to their DRM-free marketplace of games from new publishers, saying one of either Microsoft, Electronic Arts, LucasArts, Take2, or Square Enix as already signed on, and two more from the list are "almost on board," though they are playing it close to the vest with details. They also say those with preorders of The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings will be able to pre-download about 90% of the game starting May 10, so they will be set for the game's release on May 17. They also announce they will offer The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut at a 50% discount between May 10 and May 24. Finally, there are some further details about The Witcher 2 on Shacknews (thanks nin), where they note the game will have 16 different endings, and while the version of the game sold on GOG.com will be DRM-free, versions sold elsewhere will use SecuROM, in spite of CD Projekt's stated distaste for DRM. Update: Big Download has further details on the DRM, saying the SecuROM used by the game will use an internet check each time the game is launched, but will not require an ongoing connection after that. Player will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on an unlimited number of PCs, and it can be played on up to five different machines at one time.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 06:30 nyr27

No, sorry, I didn't explain fully. I don't have a paypal account (nor do I want one) but GOG has a payment option to make a one-time payment through paypal without having an account.

I thought it may bypass the stupid ban, but no luck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 06:23 Golwar

nyr27 wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 06:08:
Yes, in the US. I've tried visa through paypal too and it still gets denied. It sucks, I'd really like to use their service, but I'm screwed, I guess.

Can't you push some money on your PayPal Account instead and use that money afterwards to pay at GOG? Just drop the direct link to your VISA for this transaction.

38. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 06:08 nyr27

Jerykk wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 02:37:
My visa was denied. So I called the 1-800 number on the back and they said that the federal government won't allow any business with Cypress (where they are apparently located). I guess that it's a haven for credit card theft or scams or someshit.

By federal government, I suspect you mean the U.S. government? Because I've bought all my games on GOG using a Visa and had no issues. My credit card also makes monthly payments to Cypress for my newsgroup service.

Yes, in the US. I've tried visa through paypal too and it still gets denied. It sucks, I'd really like to use their service, but I'm screwed, I guess.

37. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 04:36 Jerykk

This is the first modern release of a popular title occurring on GOG (to my knowledge), and CD Projekt wants to cash in on extra sales directly to themselves. While I do not see a problem with a company wanting to make more of a profit, using DRM to achieve this goal leaves a poor taste for the company.

As others have mentioned, CDProjekt does not get to choose the DRM for the retail versions of the game. The publisher/distributor makes that choice. The only reason why the GOG version has no DRM is because it has no formal publisher or distributor.

36. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 04:18 jsmith

So all copies except GOG's copy of The Witcher 2 will ship with SecuROM and a 5 machine limit with unlimited amounts of deauthorization. The copy from GOG (their own game sales website) will be DRM free. That is still a shady move to try and herd some customers away from other digital distribution websites. I would expect a move like this from Gamestop and there newly acquired Impulse site, but not this company.

No matter how you look at it, Good Old Games pretty much had to be DRM free with all of their games; most are outdated with zero support. Hell, some of the companies of the games being sold are no longer around. In order to sell that sort of software they have to make sure it is playable without DRM such as CD checks, words from the manual, or phone home checks. Making it compatible with Vista and Windows 7 is an added bonus for additional sales.

This is the first modern release of a popular title occurring on GOG (to my knowledge), and CD Projekt wants to cash in on extra sales directly to themselves. While I do not see a problem with a company wanting to make more of a profit, using DRM to achieve this goal leaves a poor taste for the company. It would have been better if they had offered bonuses for ordering through GOG, not punishing those that choose to go elsewhere.

35. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 02:37 Jerykk

My visa was denied. So I called the 1-800 number on the back and they said that the federal government won't allow any business with Cypress (where they are apparently located). I guess that it's a haven for credit card theft or scams or someshit.

By federal government, I suspect you mean the U.S. government? Because I've bought all my games on GOG using a Visa and had no issues. My credit card also makes monthly payments to Cypress for my newsgroup service.

34. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 01:43 nyr27

I have a problem with GOG. I can't order through them. I created an account there to buy a game as a test run since I planned on getting The Witcher 2 and wanted to see how their service worked.

So I guess I'm screwed since I'm not creating a paypal account just for them, unless anyone knows any alternative?

33. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 14, 2011, 23:40 Jerykk

Another good reason to buy the game from GOG is that it will give the most money to the developers. CD Projekt owns GOG (I think), so they'll get 100% profit from any sales. Conversely, if you buy retail, the distributor gets a hefty cut.

I'm definitely buying the GOG version and will likely buy the retail version too once it hits the bargain bin.

32. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 14, 2011, 22:00 mag

Once again: Anyone that doesn't buy this from GOG is dumb as a box of hammers.

"I hate GOG! They don't have the games I want! Because that's totally their decision to make! And their games, that they have gone through the trouble to make work on modern OSes, and have lobbied to have all of the DRM removed, are a couple of dollars more expensive than the broken versions on Steam!

And how dare they offer something on their service that you can't get if you buy the game on another service! I will totally go buy the inferior version just to spite them!"

31. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 20:32 Ray Marden

It currently has a $10.00 promotional credit in addition to the "ultimate swordman suit." At least it does according to the credit list:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=vg_nav_hp_10bonus?ie=UTF8&node=2244366011&pf

Though I will get screwed by a Friday release, that is where I am getting Portal 2 from. It's 10% off, free release day delivery to my work (via Amazon Prime,) I am using my $10 credit from Crysis 2, and then I'll get another $20 game credit after it ships...
Go go Amazon!
An Amazon whore and cheap bastard,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 20:16 Tumbler

Personally, I am balancing buying it from Amazon against buying it from GoG. GoG gives me some other junk, but Amazon will end up being cheaper due to the game credit that comes with it, to say nothing of the game credit I already have. If anybody other than GoG offered the same deal, I would preorder from them immediately.

Was this offered in the past? I don't see any mention of a credit for buying this game through amazon. But the games with crazy drm should be cheaper, that has been my main complaint with pc software for a long time, they're selling you something with substantially less value because you can't sell it, I would applaud them for selling the retail version for 39.99 or something and the GOG no drm version for $49.99, the gog version would still be the no brainer in my book but at least that would be a step in the right direction.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 14, 2011, 20:14 jamiedj99

DRM means pirated copy time  

28. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:42 Kajetan

Ray Marden wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:29:
Honestly, GoG still irritates me a bit - ...

I am going to be buying TW2, ut this whole "We won't have DRM, but we'll absolutley ensure every other version has it" rubs me the wrong way as well. If you're anti-DRM, be anti-DRM.
They are anti-DRM. The GOG.com version has no DRM. Only Steam and other retail versions have DRM because CD Project has no control over Valve and the publishers for the retail versions. They sold distributions rights to them and now these distributors can decide in what way they will distribute the game.

No rocket science here ...

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:41 Sepharo

Ray Marden wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:29:
this whole "We won't have DRM, but we'll absolutley ensure every other version has it" rubs me the wrong way as well. If you're anti-DRM, be anti-DRM.

I agree with the sentiment but as others have pointed out, it likely isn't their decision to make.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:36 Kajetan

Sepharo wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:25:
One of the great championers of PC gaming play a dumb joke and some people get all, "NEVAR BUYING FROM GoG AGAIN!"
Perhaps they simply do and have no interest in further talking about it?

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:34 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:19:
Good point, although everytime there's an update one would have to find someone/someplace with the updated GoG version and get the file again
If a game is popular enough, there will be an updated crack available only hours, seldom longer than a few days after a patch release.

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:29 Ray Marden

Honestly, GoG still irritates me a bit - they don't have games I want, they can end up charging more than I can find a game elsewhere, and then there was their relaunch fiasco...

I am going to be buying TW2, ut this whole "We won't have DRM, but we'll absolutley ensure every other version has it" rubs me the wrong way as well. If you're anti-DRM, be anti-DRM. Otherwise, they are just dicks that are playing a marketing game and otherwise screwing over people that have to buy the physical version for some reason and/or the people that buy the collector's edition.

Personally, I am balancing buying it from Amazon against buying it from GoG. GoG gives me some other junk, but Amazon will end up being cheaper due to the game credit that comes with it, to say nothing of the game credit I already have. If anybody other than GoG offered the same deal, I would preorder from them immediately.
I just have no faith in GoG.
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:25 Sepharo

Golwar wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:09:
Hm, where are all those GOG haters? There had been so many of them here, after GOG's "closure" act last year.

I was wondering that myself, I rarely agree with the "self-entitled/miserable/whiny" outlook that some have on Blue's posters but the description was certainly called for in those threads.

One of the great championers of PC gaming play a dumb joke and some people get all, "NEVAR BUYING FROM GoG AGAIN!"

22. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:19 Dev

Ugh, I much prefer steam. Especially after the contempt GoG showed for its customers in its fake closing and mocking apology.

Kajetan wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 18:44:
Some may want to buy the Special Collectors Edition with tons of, erm, extremly usefull stuff. Only available at retail. And the DRM can be removed, if you simple replace the dongled files with the files from the GOG.com version, so you dont have deal with Securom at all.
Good point, although everytime there's an update one would have to find someone/someplace with the updated GoG version and get the file again

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 19:09 Golwar

Hm, where are all those GOG haters? There had been so many of them here, after GOG's "closure" act last year.
Not that I was one of them or shared their anger, I just remember how hostile especially this community was after the reveal.

Glad that GOG gets more publishers on board. I hope they'll catch on with their price model though. $6 or $10 simply doesn't work for each single game in their catalog. They should use bundles far more often, as the case for the Battle Isle Pack for example.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo