Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed

The BioWare Social Network has word that the authentication server problem that was keeping players from accessing Dragon Age: Origins for several days is now cleared up. A new update simply says: "This should now be fixed - please login and retry."

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 14, 2011, 11:05 avianflu

The whole event was unacceptable

a single player game should be playable off of the internets -- period.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 21:08 Dev

ASeven wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:22:
It may take time but sooner or later a boiling point is reached.
Which unfortunately is nowhere near happening. If that was the case, then sequels that suck more than the previous games wouldn't break sales records. The very large success of consoles shows that most game players do NOT CARE. The game industry is free to rely on that, so they don't care about the customer either. I still remember when EA said to need for speed customers back when dual core CPUs were just coming out "sorry guys, but we know the problem making the game unplayable and we fixed it in the NEXT nfs game, screw everyone who bought this one cause we aren't going to bother to fix it since we already got your money." Ironically, the community did all the work to figure out the problem and how to fix it, and gave it to EA, and thats what they did with it.

40. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 19:13 xXBatmanXx

hehehe this is the chart i am always looking for whenever a BioWare game is mentioned

http://gza.gameriot.com/content/images/orig_320200_1_1257581825.png

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

39. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 18:27 Veterator

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:26:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:22:
See, to me, perhaps that is the problem. The part about seeing it from the developers point of view. As if it is a defensive position, which would make the fans and consumers the opposition on the attack. A little off topic, but don't you find that kinda f'd up from a professional stand point? It just seems really jaded and really counter-productive. But hey, what do I know, I am just a gamer.

It's exactly the problem. They take the "you don't get the industry" attitude instead of trying to understand the actual problem or take responsibility. People are just "whining" to them. The hilarious part is when they use the word entitled when in reality they feel entitled to your dollars and constantly try to push the bare minimum lower to maintain that income.

And on another hand, it's defending an industry/institutional/whatever flaw. When it's been said in as many ways as possible DRM punishes the customer and can result in problems since it has to be maintained and monitored for years. When the majority of the mouthpieces say it's there to deter 0-day or very early cracks that deter from release day sales, but it's still there to rear it's ugly head over a year later.

In my mind, where you would want to do it correctly and provide a good experience. I couldn't understand how maintaining the myriad of servers they would need plus paying for bandwidth, plus the employee overhead...and any redundancy or backups for a month, 2 months, 6 months, 12, and then into the future was more cost effective than doing it well for 1-3 months, then using that same staff and hardware to handle the next new game. This is ignoring the costs of simply licensing or developing the DRM and then the cost of injecting it into your products. But I see how it's "cost effective" now by taking the "Pray it never fails." method.

I think DRM is a fundamental problem in the industry simply by how it's mindset punishes the people who pay...if it isn't on release day, it will be at a later date.

38. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 18:25 Mashiki Amiketo

Flatline wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:34:
Hasn't anyone heard of RDP/remote terminal before?
EA/Bioware? Probably not. Much like you in another life, I worked in IT and would remote admin my counties server while I was on the road, or even at home. Which could be anywhere between me being on the other side of the country, or it being in a locked building I couldn't get into.

It's like magic smoke...

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 18:00 Creston

Flatline wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:34:
Hasn't anyone heard of RDP/remote terminal before?

"What? What is this wizardry you speak of?! Why, the mere idea of remotely controlling a server is preposterous!"

- EA and Bioware support.

Rolleyes

Creston

36. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:52 Flatline

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:32:
By the way, I don't trumpet for any one company. After having worked in the game industry for 15 years, I see things from the developer side. You all make it seem like its so easy to run a game company and all that entails. So I defend the developers a lot.

And having worked as an IT professional for around 15 years, contracting to more industries than you can count, I can tell you that *only* in the video game industry does such levels of unprofessionalism as the response from Bioware/EA occur without people getting fired. Can you imagine the world of shit if something like this happened in the financial industry for example? That's a pretty hard business to run too. No, Bioware/EA fails on communication, turn over rate, and even letting the problem happen to begin with.

Even in "oh shit" mode, one competent guy could rebuild a server in maybe a day in a half to two days. Assuming that there isn't a contingency plan for the server melting down, which there apparently wasn't.

Even if the user community had some TLC from either EA or Bioware, it would have gone over smoother. Instead, the stereotype of the completely anti-social IT response of "It's getting fixed, leave us alone" actually happened and we got to sit around bitching.

The excuse levels are insane as well. Let's count them shall we? It wasn't Bioware's fault because: 1. they use volunteers to monitor forums, 2. They were monitoring Dragon Age 2 forums instead of DA:O, 3. Dude, it was like, the weekend and stuff, 4. The server in question was in an EA data center, 5. Time zone differences man. Time zones. 6. It looked like a problem that already existed, so Bioware *ignored* the flood of new complaints, figuring they'd just go away.

I hate excuses. I don't mind a postmortem where you identify issues in what went wrong and try to address the underlying problem, but god I hate excuse lists like the one above.

35. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:34 Flatline

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 10:36:
"Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily"

Oh good, then all is forgiven because you can't be bothered to have a paid employee read your support forums!

The thing that pisses me off is that they say "differing time zones!!!".

At maximum, you're looking at a 5 hour difference unless EA's server is on another continent than Bioware, which I doubt.

And beyond that... it's their goddamn system, even if it's run by EA. Hasn't anyone heard of RDP/remote terminal before? I live in California and supported a factory in China in real time for a year. It sucked, but it had to be done.

Shit, the last time I was hired to fix an email server meltdown I had it running in less than 30 hours, including rebuilding the goddamn hardware and reassembling the email system from local caches (no backups of course). And I'm *one* guy.

34. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:26 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:22:
See, to me, perhaps that is the problem. The part about seeing it from the developers point of view. As if it is a defensive position, which would make the fans and consumers the opposition on the attack. A little off topic, but don't you find that kinda f'd up from a professional stand point? It just seems really jaded and really counter-productive. But hey, what do I know, I am just a gamer.

It's exactly the problem. They take the "you don't get the industry" attitude instead of trying to understand the actual problem or take responsibility. People are just "whining" to them. The hilarious part is when they use the word entitled when in reality they feel entitled to your dollars and constantly try to push the bare minimum lower to maintain that income.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

33. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:22 ASeven

Elessar wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:14:
Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:02:
I'd like to point out that this issue didn't JUST get reported on bio's forum either. Plenty of people opened tickets with EA over the weekend, and got ignored, as usual. It's EA's vaunted support/quality assurance at work.

But it's great to see industry mouthpieces still trying to pretend like it's perfectly normal to have a 16 month old SINGLE PLAYER GAME break for four days because of outdated and retarded fucking DRM. We just don't understand how hard it is to do all this customer support, guys! Nobody else in the entire world has to support their products like these poor, overworked devs do! It's just not fair! We can't expect them to really pay attention to this stuff.

I guess that on-call support issue I had to deal with at 10.30pm last night in no way compares to a fucking server dying on Friday. Isn't that what you pay a server admin for? To monitor this shit and get it back up, OVER THE WEEKEND if necessary?
This is what amazes me. I've called a game company for support before and most likely never will again. You get generic bullshit answers from some dipshit with an attitude because he's tired of dealing with frustrated customers. Then you have volunteers monitoring forums for games that have made the company millions in revenue just over a year ago. How these fucks are able to get away with such abysmal support is simply amazing. I want to know, just when are there actually going to be repercussions? And not in the form of the occasional Bluenews member boycotting their game.

It may take time but sooner or later a boiling point is reached.

32. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:22 Jivaro

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:32:
Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:13:
By the way, I don't trumpet for any one company. After having worked in the game industry for 15 years, I see things from the developer side. You all make it seem like its so easy to run a game company and all that entails. So I defend the developers a lot.

31. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:14 Elessar

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:02:
I'd like to point out that this issue didn't JUST get reported on bio's forum either. Plenty of people opened tickets with EA over the weekend, and got ignored, as usual. It's EA's vaunted support/quality assurance at work.

But it's great to see industry mouthpieces still trying to pretend like it's perfectly normal to have a 16 month old SINGLE PLAYER GAME break for four days because of outdated and retarded fucking DRM. We just don't understand how hard it is to do all this customer support, guys! Nobody else in the entire world has to support their products like these poor, overworked devs do! It's just not fair! We can't expect them to really pay attention to this stuff.

I guess that on-call support issue I had to deal with at 10.30pm last night in no way compares to a fucking server dying on Friday. Isn't that what you pay a server admin for? To monitor this shit and get it back up, OVER THE WEEKEND if necessary?
This is what amazes me. I've called a game company for support before and most likely never will again. You get generic bullshit answers from some dipshit with an attitude because he's tired of dealing with frustrated customers. Then you have volunteers monitoring forums for games that have made the company millions in revenue just over a year ago. How these fucks are able to get away with such abysmal support is simply amazing. I want to know, just when are there actually going to be repercussions? And not in the form of the occasional Bluenews member boycotting their game.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

30. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:03 Kxmode

I think the lyrics from Trifonic's "Sooner Or Later" aptly sums up what's going to happen from a paying customer's POV:

How happy we are today
The feeling will only escape
No matter who we blame it on
When the thrill is gone, itís gone, itís gone
This could be the best we got
And what we got is on our hands
Are you going to the countdown?

Sooner or later itís all in the past
Sooner or later it floats above the glass
Sooner or later it breaks inside the cast
Sooner or laterÖ

Concrete rubble for concrete dreams
Grains of sand floating in the sea
Passing trains, all the passing trees
Can you heed the whistle please?

http://trifonic.bandcamp.com/track/sooner-or-later

Publishers, can you heed the whistle, please?

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2011, 14:20.

29. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:03 ASeven

kxmode wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:59:
It is inevitable that if they deny basic consumer rights customer will eventually fight back.

This is another point about the indies. Publishers treat us PC gamers as second class citizens, no way of denying it. Indies treat us as first class, important citizens. As publishers erode our trust more and more and as PC gamers start to get fed up of being treated as second class citizens they will inevitably move towards places, companies and communities where they are treated as first class citizens, as gamers that have a voice, and that's what Indies are doing and are slowly taking away the marketplace from uncaring publishers.

28. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 14:01 ASeven

killer_roach wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:52:
ASeven wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:23:
This is why Indies are on they way up and it's why big Indie companies like Tripwire still act Indie in regards to the community, ie actually giving a damn about the community unlike EA.

Publishers' behaviors are quickly becoming the best reason people change to indies.

As Vermo said, no excuse for this to have happened.

Sadly, Tripwire has yet to make a game that has really caught my interest... I think the sad lesson that the major publishers have learned in recent years is that they have a considerably greater amount of leeway in terms of dealing with large-scale AAA titles than an indie does (as there is much more competition in the indie space, and most such titles are catering to niche markets).

True, the indies face tremendous competition from themselves. While there are only a handful of publishers and devs working under them, indies number in the hundreds or sometimes thousands for a single genre. However more and more Indies are producing AAA-like games. Heroes of Stalingrad from Tripwire, upcoming Hawken, Grim Dawn, Dead State, even Dead Island could be considered a sort of indie.

Since competition is always a good thing, this will serve as a filter for quality products. Furthermore since indies often price their games quite low while one may afford a single AAA game, that person can afford 3 or 4 or 5 indies of the same genre for the same price of the AAA title, with the only remaining question about playing the game being having the time to play them.

We're quickly reaching a point where AAA-level Indie games are becoming more and more common in more and more genres which appeal to a vastly wider audience. IMO it's a matter of time until we see Indies taking over as the lead gaming producers on the PC.

27. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:59 Kxmode

It is inevitable that if they deny basic consumer rights customer will eventually fight back.  

26. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:52 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 13:23:
This is why Indies are on they way up and it's why big Indie companies like Tripwire still act Indie in regards to the community, ie actually giving a damn about the community unlike EA.

Publishers' behaviors are quickly becoming the best reason people change to indies.

Sadly, Tripwire has yet to make a game that has really caught my interest... I think the sad lesson that the major publishers have learned in recent years is that they have a considerably greater amount of leeway in terms of dealing with large-scale AAA titles than an indie does (as there is much more competition in the indie space, and most such titles are catering to niche markets).

25. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:36 Agent.X7

And now I won't be purchasing The Old Republic, because I know how shitty the response will be when a server goes down or a major bug crops up.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

24. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:28 Parallax Abstraction

Pretty much exactly my thought. Last night right at the end of the day, it was discovered that my employer's BlackBerry Enterprise Server hadn't been sending e-mail to phones for a few hours. The problem started earlier in the day but no one noticed it until around 5pm. I ended up having to stay late to get it fixed. Yes, my employer paid me overtime to do it but it was also expected that I would step up and fix this system that is vital to our users (essentially my customers as an IT administrator). If I had just gone "this isn't as important as me going home at 5" and just taken off, my user's experience would have suffered, as would my reputation in the company and it would have been brought up as a negative on my next review. We're now in the process of implementing something that will notify us if nothing gets delivered through our BES for a period of time so this won't happen again. I doubt EA's doing anything like that for the DA auth servers.

We are a company of only 150 people and we don't pull in billions of dollars a year. The sales of Dragon Age 1 alone probably dwarf the entire amount of money this company has ever earned in its lifetime (and it's almost 40 years old). If we can solve a critical problem like this quickly with only 2 IT people, how can one of the biggest names in video games which probably has an entire building of dedicated IT and help desk staff not get it sorted for multiple days? How can there be no one in the thousands of employees at EA whose job it is to check daily to make sure the auth servers are up? I'm sorry, there is no excuse for this beyond either incompetence or an unwillingness to prioritise a fix since it was for an old game that's not selling anymore. This right here is why everyone hates DRM. I and many others gave you my money EA, you owe us all better than this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

23. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:23 ASeven

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo