Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule

Blizzard announces May 21 at 1:00 pm EDT and May 25 at 10:00 pm EDT are when online sales will take place for tickets to BlizzCon 2011, this year's installment in their annual gaming convention, which will be held on October 21 and 22, once again at the Anaheim Convention Center. Tickets will be sold through the BlizzCon Website for $175.00 USD each, and they will also offer an additional batch of $500.00 USD tickets on May 28 at 1:00 pm EDT which will include BlizzCon admission and attendance at an exclusive pre-BlizzCon dinner to benefit Children's Hospital of Orange County. They will again offer the opportunity to watch a stream of the event over the internet or through DirecTV for $39.99, and whose who attend virtually will receive the same World of Warcraft and StarCraft II in-game items as physical attendees.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 15:38 PHJF

Sorry but I don't think "facebook likes" is the proper metric for this instance.

Or any fucking instance, for that matter.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 14:21 Optional nickname

I hope Diablo 3 is finally out before BlizzCon 2014. Unfortunately, it won't be this year, since their "Facebook" likes page hasn't hit a million yet. Has Diablo lost its appeal? Normally a story like Justin Beiber's Turd gets 17 million FB hits in half an hour. A game that is known to every PC Gamer, takes over a year.  

16. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 09:49 Yifes

Thanks for the info guys.  

15. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 09:39 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 06:15:
Yet, every other con in a similar setup makes money. So, maybe they need to change venues if the site is charging Blizzard too much...which I seriously doubt. Blizzard is doing this at a loss? Riiight. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you cheap. Throw out the actual numbers or shut up. My buddy is a top manager for the MTCC (Metro Toronto Convention Center) and the space is the same sizewize which may cost you in the 10's of 1000's per day but you're telling me they're charging Blizzard over 5 million for 2 days? Are you high? They could buy their own property and constuct a similar sized venue for less than that, nevermind utilities. And you seem to forget that probably a considerable chunk of this is a tax-write off to boot. And that says nothing against any goodwill they generate on future sales. To claim in any fashion that this costs them dime one is a load of utter shit. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the merchandising either.

The difference is that other conventions are renting out space to developers and other companies. Who is Blizzard renting out to? Themselves?

14. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 07:32 Doombringer

The charity dinner is worth going to at least once, because you can meet people like Chris Metzen and Samwise Didier and actually talk with them a bit and get their autograph (just don't be a leech and take up too much of their time - other fans want to meet them, too). That said, it's $500 a head. Steep, these days.

The Con itself... well, it's not your traditional fan convention. You'll find only a handful of vendors, and everything is Blizzard-focused (naturally), rather than it being sort of an overall geek mecca. You can run into some real bro-gamers there, too. The panels are great, but typically you end up in a back, back row (unless you park yourself very early and get a closer seat, and then you're missing out on other con-stuff) and you end up watching most of it on an overhead screen. For years, people have been claiming entire rows of chairs for their friends by stringing crap across seats (they really should put a stop to this), making seating an issue.

The overall quality of the goodie bag has gone down in the past few years. The 'big thing' has always been pretty awesome, but the auxiliary items... eh. My first BlizzCon was 2008, and they gave you a whole load of little goodies in addition to the 'big thing.' It was a nice little treasure trove of stuff. In 2009 and 2010, the bags had less and less in them.

All in all, if you just want the news (which is the major thing for the Con), you can save yourself $100+ and get it at home via the stream.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2011, 08:05.

13. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 06:15 Cutter

Yet, every other con in a similar setup makes money. So, maybe they need to change venues if the site is charging Blizzard too much...which I seriously doubt. Blizzard is doing this at a loss? Riiight. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you cheap. Throw out the actual numbers or shut up. My buddy is a top manager for the MTCC (Metro Toronto Convention Center) and the space is the same sizewize which may cost you in the 10's of 1000's per day but you're telling me they're charging Blizzard over 5 million for 2 days? Are you high? They could buy their own property and constuct a similar sized venue for less than that, nevermind utilities. And you seem to forget that probably a considerable chunk of this is a tax-write off to boot. And that says nothing against any goodwill they generate on future sales. To claim in any fashion that this costs them dime one is a load of utter shit. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the merchandising either.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 04:31 Dirwulf

From Sept. 2009:

"BlizzCon is operated at a substantial loss for the company," said Pearce. "It's a huge marketing opportunity, so that's the benefit we get out of that. But in terms of any kind of financial gain, it actually is a loss for us."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6228656.html

11. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 02:02 Sempai

Rip off.  

10. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 01:06 Brazor

Talutha wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 00:19:
Assuming they sell 25,000 tickets, they make a little under 4.5 million. Over half of that, if not nearly all, goes towards renting the convention center plus utilities. Remember, this is a technology convention. They have to pay for all the electricities and other utilities they use plus any damages that happen as a result of the convention.

Then you have all of the paid workers who work well beyond the start and end of the event who have to assemble/take apart all of the rented equipment such as stage equipment and lights. Plus they always have a huge guest at the end of the convention. Last year they had Tenacious D. You think they went for less then a million including stage setup and professional lighting? Then you have licensing fees just to broadcast their music over the internet and DirectTV.

Remember, you pay $175 and get the whole experience, but Blizz has to pay for everything right down to the toilet paper. I've helped run events such as these(but of course not on as big of a scale) and they are not cheap by any means.

Plus it's not like I'm saying Blizz goes bankrupt each year on this thing. I'm just saying they don't make money on it. They're allowed to do something fun too aren't they?
Don't forget the insurance to cover the damage done to the building as well as CYA to protect against lawsuits from irresponsible people suing because they were in a hurry to catch a panel discussion and they tripped over their own foot.

9. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 00:46 Fion

I bought a PPV ticket to watch it over the net and found it well worth the cost. Not only because of all the great things at the show and Tenacious D but I loved that you could go back and watch anything you missed for a quite a while afterwards.

This year I will attend if Diablo 3 doesn't hit before hand. I don't really care about WoW but I'd love to see news on their new secret MMOG and of course D3 and the Zerg xpack for Starcraft.

8. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 00:19 Talutha

Assuming they sell 25,000 tickets, they make a little under 4.5 million. Over half of that, if not nearly all, goes towards renting the convention center plus utilities. Remember, this is a technology convention. They have to pay for all the electricities and other utilities they use plus any damages that happen as a result of the convention.

Then you have all of the paid workers who work well beyond the start and end of the event who have to assemble/take apart all of the rented equipment such as stage equipment and lights. Plus they always have a huge guest at the end of the convention. Last year they had Tenacious D. You think they went for less then a million including stage setup and professional lighting? Then you have licensing fees just to broadcast their music over the internet and DirectTV.

Remember, you pay $175 and get the whole experience, but Blizz has to pay for everything right down to the toilet paper. I've helped run events such as these(but of course not on as big of a scale) and they are not cheap by any means.

Plus it's not like I'm saying Blizz goes bankrupt each year on this thing. I'm just saying they don't make money on it. They're allowed to do something fun too aren't they?

7. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:48 PropheT

Yifes wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 23:35:
$175 a ticket, sold out venue, and they still lose money on Blizzcon? I find that hard to believe...

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. They don't run this thing at a loss because they love their fans so much.

6. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:46 PHJF

$175 a ticket, sold out venue, and they still lose money on Blizzcon? I find that hard to believe...

Don't forget the PPV.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:35 Yifes

Talutha wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 23:06:
Na, the ticket prices are fine IMO. I think this is one of the only conventions that are completely for the fans. They post the expenses of BlizzCon every year at the place and the ticket sales don't come close to recouping the cost of running the convention.

4. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:35 Brazor

Talutha wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 23:06:
Na, the ticket prices are fine IMO. I think this is one of the only conventions that are completely for the fans. They post the expenses of BlizzCon every year at the place and the ticket sales don't come close to recouping the cost of running the convention.

That plus they can't really advertise because the only people that go to these things are already huge Blizz fanboys and own everything they have to offer which only leaves them doing things to reward the fans for being there.

People like to hate on Blizz, but this convention is one of the reasons why I think they love their fans more then any other company and why I think that Activision doesn't truly have their greedy paws all over the company because I don't think they would allow Blizz to still run this thing if they had full control.
True
But in this economy the price is hard to swallow unless you know how to get deals on flights and rooms. Blizz does have the right to charge that amount.

3. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:06 Talutha

That plus they can't really advertise because the only people that go to these things are already huge Blizz fanboys and own everything they have to offer which only leaves them doing things to reward the fans for being there.

People like to hate on Blizz, but this convention is one of the reasons why I think they love their fans more then any other company and why I think that Activision doesn't truly have their greedy paws all over the company because I don't think they would allow Blizz to still run this thing if they had full control.

2. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 23:01 Techie714 ©

I've never been & I live 5 minutes away..lol. I might go this year, just never really had an interest.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 12, 2011, 21:59 Brazor

Creeped up another $25. No surprise there!
It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive one way for me. Still! I think the price is just a tad too high. Even with all the "goodies" they put in the bag.

Unless you know someone who'll buy the bag off of you and recoup the cost

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo