Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 10:14 Elessar

I think there's some validity to what he's saying though. I recall reading a post from a Tiger Woods dev, explaining that the reason there aren't more trees, people, etc on the golf course is because the current old ass hardware is limiting them. Do I believe this to be entirely true? No. But the PC market certainly has the console market to blame for the current technology ceiling. So if these guys want new tech to build bigger, better games, we should encourage that. Whether we agree with his position or not, new console hardware will raise limitations for game development and we should see less disparity between PC and console tech.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 07:02 Verno

Actually Golwar they ran out of platforms to port Imagine Babyz to, hence he's upset.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 06:50 Golwar

I wonder why Ubisoft doesn't develop astounding creative games for the 3DS, iPad or whatever new kind of hardware we have out there. They can't tell me that those don't offer any new options at all, yet their 3DS games in pipeline are the average and common products.
Where are those developers that would die for new ways to express their creativity? Or did their dear CEO ditch them for the old cash cows?

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 05:35 Asmo

Sux wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 05:21:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 21:04:
Aside from the obvious PC argument, I find it amazing that a CEO of a major publisher is saying that we need new hardware that will most likely double or triple development budgets.

I think with the user friendliness and tech built into current AAA game development engines (Crytec, Unreal3 Rage 3d)the comparatively easy bit is letting your imagination run wild making new and interesting environments.
The expensive bit is the time taken to make that vision work on old tech consoles without without plummeting frame rates anywhere.

It must get frustrating to have the tools to make something stunning, new and ground braking then have to settle for something that looks like what you did in the last game and the game before that.

Then dev for the PC and see if you can water down your title for the consoles...

Does two things. One, it brings PC gamers back in to the fold with awesome new games (theoretically...) and two, console makers start to see their revenue dropping off as their constantly repackaged upsells start to fall through. Which motivates them to push a new console cycle...

If it's the integrity of the innovation that is at stake, write games for the platform that can best portray them. It's not, it's money.

With a new console and upgraded hardware, they can make prettier graphics, sparkly water, cool lighting etc and make levels bigger/put more players on them. So when Call of the Medal of Battlefield 72 comes out, players will explode from how cool it looks despite being essentially the same game. A new console means they can put out the same crap games but they can make them look the same as what a current high end PC can produce when running a game written for cutting edge tech.

Good games have often been good games despite the limitations of the technology they are running on (Tie Fighter anyone? ; ), just another suit lamenting that he can't squeeze more money out of the tired old rehashes.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 05:21 Sux

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 21:04:
Aside from the obvious PC argument, I find it amazing that a CEO of a major publisher is saying that we need new hardware that will most likely double or triple development budgets.

I think with the user friendliness and tech built into current AAA game development engines (Crytec, Unreal3 Rage 3d)the comparatively easy bit is letting your imagination run wild making new and interesting environments.
The expensive bit is the time taken to make that vision work on old tech consoles without without plummeting frame rates anywhere.

It must get frustrating to have the tools to make something stunning, new and ground braking then have to settle for something that looks like what you did in the last game and the game before that.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 03:07 OldScho0l

Those consoles are running on 7-8 year old technology. Of course it's holding back developers. That's a no-brainer to me. It's because of that old tech in those consoles that we get such old style games on our PC's. PC games would be so much better right now if those damned consoles never tried to join our gaming community. Long live the PC! Someone decided to let the consoles drive the technology, but it's impossible since you have to make the games on pc and strip them down to run on consoles. The whole process of moving forward was shot to hell when 360 and PS3 arrived. Now the PC gamers are in some sort of technological time warp. We stopped moving forward after 360 and PS3. Even if a next gen console comes out, the hardware will be obsolete by PC gamer standards and the time warp for us will continue. Think about how much better and bigger the MP games were before the consoles. No we’re stuck in these cramped quarters games again like we were in 1998. We broke out of that and the damned consoles are forcing us to go back. I despise the consoles.  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 02:45 eRe4s3r

The problem isn't budgets but rather that tools haven't even caught up to the DX9 era. Least alone DX10/DX11 or beyond.

And maybe worse, with GPU's doing raster based rendering and modern 3d-suites not doing it, we have 2 technology areas that develop in different directions, except they are both supposed to do the same thing.

I think what we really need is Intel to deliver on that pseudo "realtime raytracer" but i think, i am gonna be an old man, see cybertek, nano-tech and space travel for everyone before that goes anywhere...

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 01:19 Evil Timmy

zirik: You might think so, but if they're squeezing every ounce of performance out of current hardware just to keep up in the eyes of their screenshot-nitpicking audience, that's where their focus will be. And since those visuals have been mostly stalled for well over a year, standards are high, and trading off graphical fidelity for something unproven in moving units (added dialogue, more complex rules and systems, in-depth story) in the home stretch of these consoles' lifespans is unlikely.

Even on the ever-shifting PC, with barriers of entry so minimal as to be virtually non-existent, it takes small European teams and random individuals to explore strange breakthroughs that don't precisely cleave to existing genre definitions (Space Rangers 2, Minecraft, Amnesia, Battle Slots, thousands more). The gaming industry doesn't seem to have an analogue to Fox Searchlight or Focus Features, that takes promising independent work and helps polish it up for a somewhat broader audience. Steam may let you earn money on those games once they're done, but they provide no support to get you to that point. The major publishers might be wise to fund something like that, where the successes can still be great but they can throw low six figures at an existing project and use their distribution network to bring it to a much wider audience. At worst, they hired new blood for an extended interview; at best, they've got a runaway hit and the start of a new development studio. It could even have more hidden benefits, like being able to retain more staff after a big project by shifting them to/between smaller teams as needed.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 00:21 Bhruic

I'd be curious to hear what sort of ideas that Ubisoft is sitting on that they can't run with because of current technology. Although, honestly, the way that he phrased that was so disjointed that it's hard to make out what his actual point was. Consumers don't want new ideas without a new console? Or the current consoles are actually holding things back? He says both, but they aren't necessarily the same thing.  

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 23:06 Hump

I'm sure the shareholders of Ubisoft love hearing their CEO state that they are out of ideas.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 22:47 zirik

shouldnt they be innovating now that they have mastered the capabilities of current gen consoles? devs can concentrate more on gameplay than squeezing every ounce of processing power for eye candy.  

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 22:46 Creston

The industry is in a slump because the industry keeps making the same five fucking games over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Eventually people will get tired of it and stop buying it. See Guitar Hero / Rock Band and its ilk.

Creston

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 22:40 baltar

Were tired of the current CEO of UBISOFT - News at 11.  

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 21:35 Cutter

It's beyond pathetic that he's blaming lack of innovation on the console market. Talk about a myopic point of view. If I was a major Ubioft shareholder I'd be looking at replacing him and other upper-management. Anyone who even thinks like that doesn't belong in this industry.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2011, 21:04 Parallax Abstraction

Aside from the obvious PC argument, I find it amazing that a CEO of a major publisher is saying that we need new hardware that will most likely double or triple development budgets. The majority of even large publishers are bleeding to death already because one failed AAA title can negate the profits from half a dozen hits. Even Ubisoft is clinging to profitability right now and Guillemot wants budgets to soar further? He's obviously confident but I don't know what another technological leap is going to do to the AAA industry when they haven't even figured out how to make steady money on this generation.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo