Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming

Though it has been discussed as a matter-of-fact for some time now, MyCrysis officially announces plans for a DirectX 11 patch for Crysis 2, Crytek's shooter sequel:

We would like to announce that there will be a DX11 patch released for Crysis 2. We are working to get the best out of DX11, so we’ll wait to announce the features until a little closer to release.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 11, 2011, 13:40 Beamer

Those aren't features critical to the user experience though. It's not like they shipped a bad looking DX9 based game or something.

Which is why I will crack up if I see half the posters in this thread make one of those "graphics don't matter, give me good gameplay" comments.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 11, 2011, 13:37 Verno

Well, Crysis 1, which used the OLDER version of this engine is FOUR YEARS OLD....

yet it has DX10 *AND* 64x support with a devoted 64x executable.

So you would think, since Crytek 3 is a new engine and was said to be more advanced than the previous engine, that it would AT THE VERY LEAST support dx10 and 64x.

It does neither.

Now come on. I'm tired of white knights coming here and going "Where did they say they'd support dx11 or 64x?"

Yeah, because Carmack's new IdTech engine will go back to Glide support and only run on DOS 6.0.

Those aren't features critical to the user experience though. It's not like they shipped a bad looking DX9 based game or something. The game runs, it's relatively stable, looks good and has fairly decent gameplay in my opinion. I don't agree with the loud mouthed clown white knighting it in this thread but at the same time I haven't seen any real criticism of the gameplay elements themselves. It doesn't have a 64bit build? Come on give me a break, few games at all do. And hey you're getting a DX11 patch anyway.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

27. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 10, 2011, 05:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 10, 2011, 00:27:
The appeal of Borderlands depends entirely on how much loot and leveling appeal to you. If you can play a game for the sole reason of acquiring better loot and gaining XP, Borderlands is great. If you couldn't care less about loot or leveling, Borderlands holds about as much appeal as Diablo, WoW or any other game that relies on such things as their main driving force.

Yeah, and I don't care one bit about loot. Leveling is alright, but Borderlands leveling is pretty simplistic.

26. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 10, 2011, 00:27 Jerykk

The appeal of Borderlands depends entirely on how much loot and leveling appeal to you. If you can play a game for the sole reason of acquiring better loot and gaining XP, Borderlands is great. If you couldn't care less about loot or leveling, Borderlands holds about as much appeal as Diablo, WoW or any other game that relies on such things as their main driving force.  

25. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 17:57 Alamar

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 16:33:
Alamar wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 15:59:
But previous to enjoying Crysis 2, I enjoyed Bulletstorm, and before that, I loved, and still do, and still play, Borderlands ; )

Borderlands is pretty shit for singleplayer (in my opinion anyway). I assume it is good for multiplayer, but that's not my bag. I did like Bulletstorm a lot, just for its vibrancy and silliness.

Interesting... I have at least 200 hours (yay steam for tracking my obsessions) played, about maybe, maybe 10% of that was MP...

I do have a complaint, specifically related to SP, and it may be your issue as well. And it's basically that, if I get a boss mob to 1% hp, then they get off a lucky shot, it heals and I have to redo it all.. Not exactly atypical of shooters, or other games in general, but considering some fights are crazy without the right combo (usually ammo type, sometimes weapon type), it can hurt.

I was mostly a pistols and occasional sniper rifle player, but last play through, I went with the assault rifle type... Always skipped that and shotguns, because the early ones are insanely useless (horrible 'accuracy', so you'd either waste 50% of your shots, or had to get right in their face)...

Which brings up another point, now that I'm hijacking a Crysis 2 thread for Borderlands, heh... Skags were the most challenging part of the game, at least in the first play through, but that's mostly because you start with crap guns, and little ammo... Once you get your first uber weapon, you're good for 10+ lvls...

-Alamar

24. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 16:33 StingingVelvet

Alamar wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 15:59:
But previous to enjoying Crysis 2, I enjoyed Bulletstorm, and before that, I loved, and still do, and still play, Borderlands ; )

Borderlands is pretty shit for singleplayer (in my opinion anyway). I assume it is good for multiplayer, but that's not my bag. I did like Bulletstorm a lot, just for its vibrancy and silliness.

23. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 16:33 Krovven

Eldaron and StingingV are on point here. I've pointed out in previous threads, and it still holds true...the majority of people complaining are only citing technical points to bitch about, and say nothing of gameplay. There's a reason for this and anyone with half a brain can figure it out.

The same people going off about not having Dx11 or x64 support out of the box, or that the textures are slightly lower res...are probably the same people that bitched about not being able to run Crysis when it first came out.

As for gameplay...

Take those away and there are a ton of better shooters out there.

Oh yea, Like what? And please dont waste our time and say Call of Duty.

Graphics do not equal gameplay. As it stands Crysis 2 is still arguably the best looking game out there. And Im with StingingV, Crysis2 is one of the best shooters I've played in a very long time.

Bulletstorm = juvenile garbage that has some nice vistas of places you can't go.
Metro 2033 = great looking game that falls short on gameplay.
Homefront = I really enjoyed the game, but it ended before it was actually over. Crysis 2 still has better gameplay though.
Borderlands = Fun game, ruined by what should have been obvious holes in game mechanics, such as loot distribution. Also had a horrible ending that was just a waste of time.

22. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 15:59 Alamar

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 09:37:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 06:19:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 06:06:
I honestly can't think of a singleplayer FPS campaign I have enjoyed more than Crysis 2's in the last several years.
Which says A LOT about the piss poor SP campaign quality of most shooters from the last few years. I play HL1 through Episode 2 on a regular basis and even in the 10th playthrough this so much more fun than anything others churned out lately.

Yeah probably... since CoD4 things have been pretty abysmal on average.

I never played call of dooty 4, as it's not my thing... I like aliens n shit...

-Alamar

21. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 14:52 RollinThundr

TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 09:53:

thats the most relevant post i've ever read from u, and u didn't even pump the status quo while doing it.

Everyone makes a relevant post at least once. That was velvet's.

20. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 09:53 TurdFergasun

thats the most relevant post i've ever read from u, and u didn't even pump the status quo while doing it.

19. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 09:37 StingingVelvet

Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 06:19:
I honestly can't think of a singleplayer FPS campaign I have enjoyed more than Crysis 2's in the last several years.
Which says A LOT about the piss poor SP campaign quality of most shooters from the last few years. I play HL1 through Episode 2 on a regular basis and even in the 10th playthrough this so much more fun than anything others churned out lately.

18. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 08:25 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 05:35:
At least the enemy in Crysis 2 didn't have super X-Ray vision and impeccable aim.

Being able to hide behind something and not have the AI detect you and shoot you- with perfect accuracy with a fully-automatic weapon at ranges that are impossible to duplicate, made the game more enjoyable to me than it's predecessors.

Crysis (and far cry) were action games that I spent the majority of crawling through on my belly because enemies could invariably see me before I could see them, and they'd put fifty bullets through me at a half mile before I could get through enough foliage to actually see them.

It sounds like you did something horribly wrong.
I played Far Cry and Crysis on the hardest difficulty modes and was bored as well as surprised by how stupid the AI was.
Seriously, I remember the one moment where they were walking in a line and I just stormed at them firing my assault rifle in full automatic and they just stood there dumbfounded instead of, oh, I don't know, MAYBE SCATTER AND TAKE SOME DAMN COVER?
Everyone complimented Crytek for their awesome AI in Far Cry back then, I just couldn't understand what the big deal was.

Looks like there really aren't anymore decent shooters left, like Half Life 2 + Episodes or Stalker. Despite the stupid AI Crysis was at least kinda fun. That changed when the aliens came (same thing goes for Far Cry with the mutants; Crytek just had to ruin the whole game with that bullshit).
(btw. before anyone mentions that: I'm not saying Half Life 2 has the best AI ever but it is much, much more enjoyable than Crysis, at least for me. While Crytek only knows to a certain extent how to make an enjoyable FPS Valve is capable of going all the way)

[edit]
In hindsight it seems a little bit like the Crysis AI was cheating, though. Apart from the bugs that happened during reloading (if the AI knew about my presence and I reloaded they still were on alert instead of patrolling and some of the NPCs didn't spawn correctly and flew over half the map which resulted sometimes in their death) they were also able to see me from far away through the undergrowth. So apart from being cheaters the NPCs were kinda stupid.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2011, 11:10.

17. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 08:11 Kajetan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 07:56:
... mimimi ...
Whining about people whining about something is getting soooo old. Which does make me probably several thousand years old

16. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 07:56 Eldaron Imotholin

Completely agreeing with StingingVelvet again on this subject.

I find it pathetic to see the bitter whining on bluesnews, but especially the bitter whining about Crysis 2. Gives me the idea most of you haven't even played it or did but didn't allow your pride asses to get past your prejudice.

I'm indeed not adding much to the discussion here... but who gives a shit anyway

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

15. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 06:19 Kajetan

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2011, 06:24.

14. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 06:06 StingingVelvet

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 04:56:
The whole time I was playing through Crysis 2 I was thinking "Shit, this game doesn't even look as good as the first one." Not to mention the level loads. I put them next to each other, Crysis on my laptop and Crysis 2 on my desktop, and there is no comparison. Crysis looks better. That's what happens when you design the whole engine around console limitations. I'm going to pass on any future games from Crytek. A lot of the reason to play their games was the crazy awesome graphics and large environments. Take those away and there are a ton of better shooters out there.

I honestly can't think of a singleplayer FPS campaign I have enjoyed more than Crysis 2's in the last several years. Maybe Mirror's Edge if you count that as an FPS. And sure, that is a subjective statement, but really most shooters lately have been 4 hour corridor crawls, while Crysis 2 (despite not being as open or good as its predecessor) is much more than that.

Also on the graphics front some things are better, like pop-in and depth of field. Having free AA that looks pretty good is nice as well.

13. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 05:35 Flatline

At least the enemy in Crysis 2 didn't have super X-Ray vision and impeccable aim.

Being able to hide behind something and not have the AI detect you and shoot you- with perfect accuracy with a fully-automatic weapon at ranges that are impossible to duplicate, made the game more enjoyable to me than it's predecessors.

Crysis (and far cry) were action games that I spent the majority of crawling through on my belly because enemies could invariably see me before I could see them, and they'd put fifty bullets through me at a half mile before I could get through enough foliage to actually see them.

12. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 04:56 Agent.X7

The whole time I was playing through Crysis 2 I was thinking "Shit, this game doesn't even look as good as the first one." Not to mention the level loads. I put them next to each other, Crysis on my laptop and Crysis 2 on my desktop, and there is no comparison. Crysis looks better. That's what happens when you design the whole engine around console limitations. I'm going to pass on any future games from Crytek. A lot of the reason to play their games was the crazy awesome graphics and large environments. Take those away and there are a ton of better shooters out there.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 03:27 Fion

Dx11 or no the game will still look worse in nearly every single way to it's four year old predecessor. In some aspects, such as texture fidelity and polygon count, dramatically so.

Thats right I said it. We can blame consoles now for keeping gaming back when the game that has the best graphics ever on a console looks worse than a four year old PC game.

10. Re: Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Coming Apr 9, 2011, 03:06 DangerDog

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 19:41:
Where exactly did Crytek say that DX11 was going to be supported in Crysis 2, or even released with the game?

When they showed off Cryengine 3 at GDC I believe they used Crysis 2 as the backdrop to show off advanced features that never made it into the game, "procedural destruction" and "object deformation".

I'm sure if you dig deep enough someone from Crytek probably talked about DirectX 11 support.

Crysis 2 didn't quite come close to what they showed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwhAksLEkA

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo