Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art

We have a bunch of new art assets from Battlefield 3, including screenshots, concept art and storyboards for DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. Some of this is less self-explanatory than one might expect, but luckily they come with a cheat sheet describing what we are seeing. This is posted below.

Animation1+2
Composites showing a number of frames of animation of a soldier sliding into cover in a couple of different ways. The ANT technology allows the blending of any number of animations seamlessly.

AudioEngineering
A view of what audio engineer Stefan Strandberg’s desktop might look like when working with audio in Frostbite 2, DICE’s new cutting-edge game engine. The large schematic shows a view of how a model’s (in this case, one of the tanks) sound is processed based on everything that can happen at any one time in the game.

FB_Lighting_01-03
The Frostbite 2 engine lets the developers use features such as dynamic radiosity, dynamic shadows, and deferred lighting on a big scale. Included are some examples of an environment where you can see just the lighting information (1), the actual light probes that control how light affects dynamic objects (2 – one of these probes contain more lighting information than an entire level from BFBC2), and the finished environment they way a player would see it (3).

Alley
This alley showcases our the Frostbite 2 engine’s lighting (and is the same alley portrayed in screens “Lighting 1-3”).

NotBuilttoLast
Destruction will be a major part of Battlefield 3, both on a micro and large scale. One of the new destruction features being brought to Battlefield 3 are crumbling facades, shown in this 4-picture sequence (this destruction will be a feature both in single-player and multiplayer modes).

Storyboard_01-03
Concept artist Mattias Hägglund painted storyboards for missions to set the emotional target for Battlefield 3. These sketches show three soldiers arriving at a scene, one of them being shot and dragged to safety by his buddy.

Briefing
A briefing scene from the single player mission.

Novac
This is the hotel where a sniper camps in the mission, and is just one example of destruction in Battlefield 3.

Gogogo
The start of a big street-level firefight.

Kick the door 2
Showcasing Frostbite 2 engine’s lighting, and the physicality of kicking doors in.

StagingArea
Out of the transport and on the way to the briefing. The relatively peaceful opening of the mission later erupts into the firefight in the parking lot.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 10, 2011, 07:46 DG

Jackplug wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 14:37:
My only hope is that [...]
It isn't buggy as shit and balanced horribly.

Not that I'm still pissed about BF2142 or anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 19:33 Sepharo

Those explosions are lookin intense.

Though in the last quadrant you can see some floating window panes at the top

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 19:18 Suddenly_Dead

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 11:10:
Anyone else worried they keep showing us the same little small part of the game over and over?

No. Why?

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 14:37 Jackplug

I think the pics look great and to look inside how their programming works, is so good to see how it is all joined together these days. In a few months we will all be playin this wonderful game. My only hope is that the kiddies wont play it cos its a bit too complicated and too real for them to grasp, as they wont be able to hide behind walls or there wont be any shitty cod perks and they wont see on the shelves cos it wont have Call of Duty on the front of the box..  

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 13:23 eRe4s3r

In fact we do. COD stagnates around in boring static environments, BC2 was the only fresh wind for nearly a decade, more destruction = more fun.  

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 12:42 Trainwreck

Give us Mirror's Edge 2 you assholes! We don't need another boring military shooter!  

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 11:10 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else worried they keep showing us the same little small part of the game over and over?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 11:03 Joss

Well, I'm hoping that they'll be so ecstatic with the shit-load of profits from this that they'll cave and release mod/map tools.

And if they did, and the Project Reality team came back to it, I'd never play ArmA again... seriously.

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 9, 2011, 02:37 Zardoz5

DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 21:07:
Oh look, pictures of the editor you'll never be able to use.

Its too complex for us "Average Joes" to figure out. Translation: blah, micro-transaction, blah, blah, excuses, DLC, excuse, DLC, blah, blah, ad infinitum...

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 22:49 Joss

DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 21:07:

Ugh, don't remind us.

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 21:07 DangerDog

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 19:31 jimnms

I can't wait for this if it's going to be large scale maps like BF2 with destruction from BFBC2. I picked up BFBC2 on Steam back during the end of year sales. I played the single player, and that was it. I was hesitant to jump into a MP game since it doesn't let you practice offline.

I finally played MP for the first time this past weekend and had a fucking blast. I ended up playing it for 6 straight hours. I picked the Vietnam expansion from the EA store on sale for ~$7. I don't know why but I completely suck at Vietnam, but I can consistently be in the top 5 in regular BC2.

I just hope they don't do this shitty rank and unlock crap like in BC2. It is frustrating for a new player to get in on a game where everyone is higher levels with better equipment. I thought it was stupid that you had could play as a medic but couldn't heal and revive team mates until you unlocked them.

Steam Profile

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 18:19 Aero

Way too much weathering on the weapon textures. Look like they were fished out of a river after six months.  

2. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 18:13 theyarecomingforyou

Where the hell is the tessellation? The character/object edges are incredibly angular. Quake 3 had curved edges over a decade ago, yet we're still seeing supposedly round objects with very noticeably edges. Also, the textures look very low res and some of the shadowing is a bit off as well.

Can't wait for the game not particularly impressed by these screenshots.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 17:29 SectorEffector

Finally a screenshot showing the prefab's for building destruction. Not bad  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo