Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Full Launch in November

The Word of Notch has news on plans for the full launch of Minecraft on November 11, which is also the release date for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, inspiring the unofficial tagline "us too." Notch also acknowledges that the official launch of a constantly changing game is a little hard to pin down: "Itís a bit tricky to really do a release for Minecraft as we keep updating it all the time. For one, the version we deem as the ďfull versionĒ wonít be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago, and weíll keep adding features after the release as well, so itís really more of a milestone when we finally get rid of the Beta label, and some kind of goal for us to work towards. The plan is to be open with this and try to get people to cheer us on as much as possible, but to be open with the fact that the game wonít change much at the actual release day. (Itís more a progress up until that point)." He also offers an update on the game:

Weíve been working on finishing up Achievements and Statistics for 1.5, I ran into some issues with JSON, got frustrated, and added weather instead. Developing new features like that is what I enjoy doing the most, so I ended up covering a lot of ground. Thereís periodic downfall (snow in snowy areas, rain in others, nothing in deserts) that make the sky darker, hides the sun, moon and stars, and makes everything wet. Ice grows back in cold regions, and snowfall covers the ground when itís snowing. During rain/snow, there can be occasional thunderstorms with lightning. I havenít finished the actual lightning bolt yet, but everything else is fairly done. Once the stats are done and the weather has been tested through, weíll release 1.5. Iím guessing this will be next week. The piston mod might get added, but it will not be in time for 1.5.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 22:21 Ventura

I still can't believe people play this. It's a shallow little retro game. How long can you juice the liquid out of this lemon? A month? Maybe two?

It's all about the mods mate:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=1032

I stopped playing vanilla Minecraft months ago, and I probably wouldn't have touched it since if it wasn't for some of the really rather splendid mods that have been released of late, such as Millenaire.

He already said what was next, that weird collectible online card game thing, something like that.

Yeah that Scrolls thing. As they say, lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice. I'm fully expecting Scrolls to crash and burn. Minecraft is great and all, but I love the insinuation that they're just full of great ideas. If Scrolls does well and ends up being quite the money maker in its own right though, then I'll admit they're more than just talk.

I'd have been happy them using the Minecraft money to try something else out after its release, but not while it's still in beta (and arguably, not getting enough attention). Minecraft is the runaway success that's making everything else possible for them; they'd do well to remember that.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2011, 22:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 20:50 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 11:32:
Frustrated with Java? I am shocked. SHOCKED!

Stand back everyone. He's shocked.

23. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 13:18 Dev

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 22:11:
feel like I got a helL of a deal based on the time I've spent with it, and I'm looking forward to what he does next.

He already said what was next, that weird collectible online card game thing, something like that.

22. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 12:41 shul

Based on what I paid in the alpha, I have no regrets of the current included features

.. and don't forget, that as alpha buyers, we get minecraft 2 for free too!

21. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 12:00 Veinman

Having just bought this game, I feel 100% certain I'll get more than my money's worth.  

20. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 11:55 Akuinnen

Needs more Mining and Crafting.  

19. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 11:32 Mr. Tact

Frustrated with Java? I am shocked. SHOCKED!

It will be interesting to see what happens with the game. Frankly, if $33m had been placed in my Paypal account, I'd pay my taxes and unless you actually went looking for me, you'd never see or hear from me again.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 10:23 nin

I hope you're right! I'd love to see more stuff implemented.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 10:04 Elessar

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 00:44:
I think he sounds bored with it.
I think some of you guys are reading FAR too much into this.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

16. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 09:29 nin

It's not "press A for AWESOME!" - those who want that, or even desire a structured "!" over the quest-giver environment, need to look elsewhere.

Thankfully!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 09:09 JoeNapalm

Nate wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 23:12:
Whats the piston mod?

I had to look this up, myself. Apparently, you can create a piston that is controlled by redstone wiring, and will allow you to either A) push blocks horizontally, or B) launch blocks into the air.

A video is worth a thousand words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAhRl1X6T0&feature=player_embedded

Pretty cool. I already have ideas for some upgrades to my fortress that might be pretty slick if I get them to work...first and foremost, building in some secret doors.

Minecraft is what it is. I didn't get what the big deal was until I tried it...couldn't grok what people were excited about.

If it's not your cup of tea, you may never get why people like it. It's not so much shallow as simple. Simple isn't necessarily bad...I kinda like simple, sometimes...but it's not for everyone.

It's not "press A for AWESOME!" - those who want that, or even desire a structured "!" over the quest-giver environment, need to look elsewhere.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2011, 09:18.

14. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 08:41 Nameless Again

The first mod I thought of for Minecraft was one based on the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for the Intellivision, if anyone here is old enough to remember playing that one. Minecraft is 90% coded for that game already. Already had mountains, forests, rivers, boats, axes, spiders, bows and arrows. You'd only need to make a few new mobs and code it so it emulated the original gameplay. It'd be nice if someone picked up the ball and ran with the idea; I would, but don't know shit about programming, coding, etc.  

13. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 08:39 Verno

Agreed, saying that this game is shallow is quite ignorant.

How is it not shallow? It is a game where the player is expected to essentially create their own goals and are only given a loosely established set of rules. The fact that they can create depth from there doesn't change the fact that the base game you're given is quite shallow. Frankly once you tire of building castles and rollercoasters there isn't much else to it beyond the exploration angle. Minecraft is very much a game where it is what you make of it and unfortunately not everyone shares the same desire to replicate popular media to post on youtube for months.

I liked Minecraft for what it was and I got more than my moneys worth out of it so I have no regrets but people who label it shallow aren't far off the mark in my opinion.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

12. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 06:18 LFace

Agreed, saying that this game is shallow is quite ignorant.

Ive had it since Alpha and I still play it these days several months later. Its only recently I've delved into building contraptions such as mob traps with automatic retrieval of the loot as well as using redstone wiring to give an indication a mob has just pegged it so to speak.

You get out of it what you put into it. It is a highly advanced virtual lego/meccano kit with optional dangers that you play with on the computer. If you stare at a box of lego/meccano pieces and cant be arsed to think up a design and make it then you wont get any satisfaction out of the game.

11. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 05:39 Zzet

What a lot of people fail to get is that Minecraft is the purest form of sandbox gameplay and doesn't pretend to be anything else. There's no mission structure, there's no objective and there's no end goal. It's just you and your imagination...and a pseudo-randomly generated world.

To say that Minecraft is a shallow retro game is perhaps being quite ignorant, given that the only thing the game shares with retro games is the graphics. And that, much like World of Warcraft, is by design.

I will add that playing with friends is a lot better than playing the game alone. Your solo efforts are pretty much irrelevant unless you happen to be part of some pass-the-world style arrangement with other players. It's only when you have three, four or more players on the same server does it get truly fun. The addition of a harsher survival mode (that does add some sort of objective) would be the icing on an already delicious cake.

10. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 04:16 Icewind

I still can't believe people play this. It's a shallow little retro game. How long can you juice the liquid out of this lemon? A month? Maybe two?

9. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 01:45 Numinar

I want to play Minecraft-Enemy Unkown. The destructible terrain may not look as legit as it did in Xcom, but a modder could just go with that look and nail all the other elements required. I feel the engine conveys the loneliness and fear required.  

8. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 01:04 Kxmode

If he wanted to get people's attention spoof the Skyrim trailer using the Minecraft engine... then at the end include "us too!" Thumbsup  

7. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 00:44 Silicon Avatar

I think he sounds bored with it.

I got in at alpha and got my money's worth out of it a long time ago though. I can't complain and now that the genie is out of the bottle someone else will make a full-fledged "adventure builder" game in the same vein with more polish and stuff to do.

6. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 00:24 ELITE

I'm guessing the likely strategy would be to put a "done" stamp on it update a few features and come out with Minecraft 2 bigger and better (plus recharge for it" which based on the fan base would be a good way to go as long as he keeps the price down.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo