Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeon Siege III Delay

Square Enix announces June 21 is the new North American street date for Dungeon Siege III, the action/RPG sequel in the works art Obsidian Entertainment previously planned for release on May 31. They also announce a delay to the European release of the game from May 27 to June 17. "Square Enix is committed to delivering the ultimate Dungeon Siege experience," said Mike Fischer, president and CEO of Square Enix, Inc. "Although the final polish phase has demanded a bit more time than originally planned, we want to assure fans and followers that the additional effort will allow us to deliver an action–RPG worthy of its rich heritage."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 9, 2011, 09:32 CreamyBlood

Still waiting for an RPG. One day. One day....  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 08:43 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 07:50:
Sega published Alpha Protocol, not Atari. Also, do you have any links on how nothing was done to it in the last year? I never read anything about that but I'd like to.

It was in an interview posted on here I believe but I can't find the link at the moment. The tl;dr was that Sega basically sat on it for eight months because it's release conflicted with some other titles. They didn't actually do anything during that time though, development was over and Obsidian moved onto other things since Sega refused further funding.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

14. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 08:18 finga

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 07:24:
With the exception of Arcanum and Vampire Bloodlines, the rest of the games were easily playable out of the box.
Obsidian games unplayable out of the box:

13. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 08:17 finga

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 22:53:
Yeah, Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas. Yeah they NEVER get enough time to polish games. I won't even mention the extra year Alpha Protocol got.

The ones that went unfinished (KOTOR2 & Alpha Protocol) were great games that suffered. The ones that were mostly finished (NWN2 & New Vegas, at least on PC) were just-plain great.

Alpha Protocol's development was just plain fucked up, and Sega didn't make it any better (big surprise there, Sega has the reverse Midas touch).

12. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 07:50 Parallax Abstraction

Ray Ban wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 03:07:
Yeah, Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas. Yeah they NEVER get enough time to polish games. I won't even mention the extra year Alpha Protocol got.

It's been stated several times that nothing was done on Alpha Protocol during that time. Atari wouldn't spend a cent more on the game. We were probably lucky (at least in my opinion) that the game was released at all.

As a sidenote: people at Obsidian have said that AP didn't end up as the game they had envisioned. Atari has to take part of the blame since they interfered in the design process and pushed the game in a different direction.

Sega published Alpha Protocol, not Atari. Also, do you have any links on how nothing was done to it in the last year? I never read anything about that but I'd like to.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 07:24 The Half Elf

With the exception of Arcanum and Vampire Bloodlines, the rest of the games were easily playable out of the box.

It just seems that since BlackIsle died, and Obsidian was created the overall quality/polish of their games has gone downhill immensely.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 05:32 Jerykk

I'll take an unpolished gem over a polished turd any day. New Vegas was easily the best RPG in years and Alpha Protocol had the best implementation of choice and consequence I've seen yet. People seem to forget that all the classic RPGs weren't terribly polished either. Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines... all had their fair share of bugs.  

9. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 03:07 Ray Ban

It's been stated several times that nothing was done on Alpha Protocol during that time. Atari wouldn't spend a cent more on the game. We were probably lucky (at least in my opinion) that the game was released at all.

As a sidenote: people at Obsidian have said that AP didn't end up as the game they had envisioned. Atari has to take part of the blame since they interfered in the design process and pushed the game in a different direction.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

8. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 02:19 Rhett

I'm on the fence with this one, so I can only hope this time is spent well.

It mustn't fail with the lack of ARPGs (with a Diablo-esque feel) on consoles!

7. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 02:16 descender

Good, now go put multi-character single player back in or you can't have my money.  

6. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 01:54 Sempai

Alamar wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 23:48:
So you're really just saying they're a bad studio?

Or will we be blaming the 'evil' publishers again? : )

-Alamar

If he wont I will.

Their games are mediocre at best. Potential? Yes, but every single example of their work has been forgettable or buggy..Or both.

5. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 23:49 PHJF

I really love their games but they just don't understand you're supposed to test them BEFORE shipping.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 23:48 Alamar

So you're really just saying they're a bad studio?

Or will we be blaming the 'evil' publishers again? : )

-Alamar

3. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 23:38 DrEvil

Just imagine how bad they would have been without the polish time.

2. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 22:53 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 22:19 finga

Good. Obsidian is one of those studios that really needs extra polishing time, and they usually don't get it.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo