Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Branson plans to journey Apr 8, 2011, 00:12 Bill Borre

He'd be better off selling tickets to stuff like the Titanic.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 20:16 Bubickjurist

Embrace your cheesesteak desires, dude! There's no need to repress. The problem is figuring out the best place to get it from....  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 19:22  Blue 

Efflixi wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 18:53:
I got 12/22 and Diablo II is the only reason why.

It's a myth that the Inuit have so many more words for snow than any other language, which seems to distract from the fact that the French seem to have an amazing number of words for "pointy stick."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 18:53 Efflixi

PHJF wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 17:23:
13 / 22

Many of the weapon names were used in Diablo II (even if somewhat inaccurately).

I got 12/22 and Diablo II is the only reason why.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 17:23 PHJF

13 / 22

Many of the weapon names were used in Diablo II (even if somewhat inaccurately).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 16:49 Draugr

Philly rules!

/chucks snowball

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 16:32 PropheT

I got 13 of 22 on the polearm quiz.

And they said all the stuff I learned playing D&D would never be useful one day

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 16:24 xXBatmanXx

Funny, was just talking with the lady yesterday about our desire to go to a hockey game, baseball game, and football game all in the same trip on the east coast. Her fav hockey team is the Penguins, so I don't think it will be difficult to find the teams to do it in early September. Baseball might be tough, but we will just have to take in a playoff game.

Looking forward to the NFL actually playing (if they do) thus releasing the schedule I think next month? and doing this trip.

I have lots of friends on the East Coast, might even run into a few of you BluesNews'ers as well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 15:55 Cutter

It's a fine day for listening to Bob Seger's 'Come back baby, rock'n'roll never forgets!'

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Judge gives juror indefinite jury duty... Apr 7, 2011, 15:54 Cutter

Oh I hear what you're saying. Everytime I go to court to fight a ticket and ask a question the prosecuetor and/or judge get really snooty and tell me it's out of line to ask questions and I think to myself, 'Who the fuck do you think you are? You both realize you work for me, right? I pay your goddamned salaries so just show some common courtesy and answer a simple fucking question!' Well hell, that goes for most bureaucrats anwyay, and then they wonder why the general public has zero sympathy for their unions getting busted and they have to start working and earning like everyone else.

You only hear about people that actually do these whacky things and not the people that refuse. Example, I don't there's anything wrong with prostitution so if I availed myself of one, got busted and the judge ordered me to do something stupid, I'd tell him to go fuck himself because I feel the law is unjust in the first place.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Judge gives juror indefinite jury duty... Apr 7, 2011, 15:50 jimnms

First, how can a judge sentence someone who hasn't been charged with a crime? Second I doubt this punishment would hold up if the woman challenged. I would think it would be considered unusual punishment (if not cruel too). I don't know if jury duty fall under state or federal laws, but I thought you could only be called for jury duty once in a 12 month period.

Then again forcing someone into indefinite jury duty might not be the best punishment for them. She could decide blow every trial that she is assigned to by going against everyone else on the jury duty causing miss-trials and costing the court money in having to re-try all of the cases.

Steam Profile

7. Re: Judge gives juror indefinite jury duty... Apr 7, 2011, 13:16 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 13:09:
It has a power, and is cheaper than incarceration, that jail doesn't.
Like making someone stand outside a store they shoplifted from with a sign stating that. That's some embarassing shit and will make most people think twice about doing stuff like that in the future.

The cost thing is the *only* thing I have in favor of it. It costs a whole lot of money each day a person is in jail, so it saves us.

And the sandwhich sign sayin "I'm a shop-lifter..." isn't so bad.
Or making a noise-pollution offender sit in a room and listen to a loud stereo playing bad music (I heard about that one last year) for X hours.

I don't mind those and wouldn't care if that's as far as it went.

But I recall hearing some real insane things in the past. Like I said being forced to stand around in drag in a hooker neighborhood. And I think walking around the court-room sans pants/underwear. I recall hearing some other very "out-there" things but they escape me at the moment.

Like I said, it isn't just (or always) the fact that the guilty have to do these things.

It's that the judge feels kosher doing it, and in my opinion gets personal satisfaction out of it. And a Judge's decision should NEVER be based on whether they are satisfied.

Take it a few steps further, and we go back to locking people in the stocks and throwing rotting produce at them.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2011, 13:25.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Judge gives juror indefinite jury duty... Apr 7, 2011, 13:09 Cutter

Well, if you're doing stupid stuff you should be treated accordingly. Public shaming used to be a lot more common in the judicial system and should be again. It has a power, and is cheaper than incarceration, that jail doesn't. Like making someone stand outside a store they shoplifted from with a sign stating that. That's some embarassing shit and will make most people think twice about doing stuff like that in the future.

In this case it's the wrong move though. Whether she is or isn't a racist doesn't much matter as it's obvious she has no interest in doing jury duty and being forced into certainly won't help anyone looking for a fair and impartial juror. I know I sure as shit wouldn't want her on my jury. Hell, she'd probably act contrary just for spite finding the guilty innocent and vice versa.

5. Judge gives juror indefinite jury duty... Apr 7, 2011, 12:58 kanniballl

I have mixed feelings about this one.

On one hand, the juror was either a racist jerk or REALLY wanted to get out of jury duty. From what I hear a lot of people try to claim to be super-racist to get out of jury duty.
  • If trying to get out of jury duty, the person should've known they were going overboard.

• If an actual huge racist, I'd rather the person be honest and get kicked off than let them sit on a trial and potentially screw with the verdict. Even if I had to listen to a 2-minute tirade on why they hate fat people, better that than let them play even a small part in the judgement of my guilt/innocence.

• On the other hand, I don't like hearing about judge's making unique little punishments. Like offering a choice between the maximum sentence for public indecency or walking down a commonly known hooker's street in drag.

By giving them that choice, then the judge obviously doesn't believe they deserve the max penalty for something and are just being bullies.

Not that the sentences are that extreme like "cut off your finger..."

But just the fact that they decide to make you do stupid stuff, as if they got off on the power of it all.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But for someone that's supposed to uphold the letter of the law (if not the spirit) and the person that's responsible for making sure we all get fairly tried in an ordered and respectful court...

I just don't like idea of said persons flexing their muscles and making someone do outlandish things. If it's not a pass, anger management / other therapy, fine, or on the approved list of punishments then it shouldn't be it.

Someone shouldn't be able to say "drop your trousers in this court room now or get the maximum penalty" especially if the infraction doesn't really warrant max penalty.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2011, 13:11.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 12:30 xXBatmanXx

RoboNerd wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 10:38:
    4.5-Billion-Year-Old Antarctic Meteorite Yields New Mineral

I was hoping it was unobtainium.

Was there a baby superman inside?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
    Playing: New dad

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 12:23 Cutter

Ugh, scored 6 out of 22 on that Pole Arm quiz.

It'll be interesting to see how Branson's mini-sub performs.

New mineral? Cool.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 10:38 RoboNerd

4.5-Billion-Year-Old Antarctic Meteorite Yields New Mineral

I was hoping it was unobtainium.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2011, 10:01 nin

Scaffoldage. Thanks Neatorama.

Kinda mesmerizing...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >