Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Engine Trailer

There's a new trailer showing off the future of the Unreal Engine 3 on Kotaku. The clip includes a number of DirectX 11 features and more updated graphical goodness. There's also an article on Gizmodo where Epic's Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein discuss the engine's future and their mobile aspirations.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 15:11 Burrito of Peace

I did not say it did. However, this line from their programming documentation; "UDK relies solely on the use of UnrealScript while licensees can use UnrealScript in conjunction with native C++ code" got me to thinking.

So I decided to become at least competent in both for a project that I want to create.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 14:55 Suddenly_Dead

The Advocate wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 13:37:
It was this video, and the demo video, that got me interested in the UDK. Ultimately, it also led me to begin learning C# so I could take better advantage of the kit.
It doesn't use C#...

8. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 14:51 Burrito of Peace

DangerDog wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 14:38:
Lifelike graphics but when are we going to get lifelike AI?

When quantum computing is commonplace and the memory in our PCs registers in the septabytes.

7. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 14:51 LittleMe

Nice vid! They showed the updated 'scalable UI' in UT3 which looked much nicer and I wish they'd release that in a patch for the game!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 14:38 DangerDog

PhysX still sucks though, and I've yet to play an Unreal game with even half decent vehicle physics.

Lifelike graphics but when are we going to get lifelike AI?

5. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 13:53 Beamer

It isn't hard to go back to youtube and look at UE3 demos and see how close they are to actual games.

And they have been.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 13:39 Fion

As with most tech demos what was show there is in no way conducive to actual gameplay but rather showing what the engine is capable of at it's most extreme.

The hair and head look great but that is only because there is nothing else but a bitmap background to take up texture memory or polygon count so they were able to 'spend' millions of them just making a cool head. The engine could never put that kind of detail in an actual game because there would be much more strict limits on the number of polys in the scene and the limits of texture memory.

The apex clothing looks pretty sweet but framerates were pretty low and it was only a simple area with one guy in it probably on a massively powerful computer.

The scenes look quite nice but again they can put an extreme amount of quality into a very small pace because they aren't limited as you normally would in an actual game.

So really these tech demos look very cool but they are in no way representative of an actual game.

That and I am 'sooo' sick of UEd.

3. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 13:37 Burrito of Peace

It was this video, and the demo video, that got me interested in the UDK. Ultimately, it also led me to begin learning C# so I could take better advantage of the kit.  

2. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 11:46 Kxmode

Two words: apex clothing. Wow! Every game I played has always had problems with clothing not following body contours, or worse not reacting to body movement (like running) and weather effects.  

1. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 10:43 Elessar

The hair and skin detail at the beginning was amazing. The whole thing was pretty impressive. Note the scalable UI, which may help in terms of PC development so we don't get stuck with overly large, cumbersome UIs from ports.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo