Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Specs

CD Projekt has unveiled the system requirements for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, their upcoming role-playing sequel. The miminum [sic] and recommended specs follow.

Miminum System Requirements:

• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
  • Memory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
  • Video Card: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

Recommended System Requirements:

• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
  • Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
  • Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

Additionally:

• Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0c
  • HDD: 16 GB of disc space
  • Disc Drive: DVD x8, compatible with DVD9
  • Instalation requires administrator access.
  • Game supports Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

System requirements for laptops may differ slightly due to differences in hardware efficiency.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 7, 2011, 01:07 Jerykk

Crysis 1 - radial menu for weapon and suit powers - clearly this game was designed with consoles in mind.

Considering the fact that Crysis 2 was indeed designed for consoles, it seems fairly obvious that Crytek was at least thinking about consoles when designing Crysis. Regenerating health, radial menus, grenade proximity indicators, glowing enemy outlines... I think the only reason they didn't port Crysis to consoles was because the engine was too demanding.

Neverwinter Nights 1/2 - Another title ruined by consolitis thanks to its radial menus.

All the Infinity Engine RPGs also had radial menus as well. However, they had terrible UI design in general. PC developers eventually realized that and stopped using radial menus.

Just like in these games it possible you won't need to reference the radial menus with proper configuartion.

Hopefully. I haven't heard any mention of hotkeys yet so we may end up being forced to use the radial menu.

While they combat system has changed up since the alpha video I showed (unsurprisingly) it doesn't appear to have changed much, they may have added another click (not just left click anymore) but, I think thats because they are trying to refine the lackluster gameplay of the first game.

Um, the combat system has completely changed.

Witcher 1:

- You select a fighting stance.
- You click on enemies to target them.
- You click at specific times to continue your combos.

Witcher 2:

- You look in the general direction of an enemy to engage the soft lock.
- You left click once to do one light attack.
- You right click once to do one heavy attack.

Basically, the combat system in Witcher 2 doesn't require precise targeting and is highly conducive to button mashing. Coincidentally, such things are better suited to gamepads.

I can't seem to see anything beyond a loot screen so I really couldn't comment on the inventory, but once again saying that a list based inventory is only the realm of console games would be innacurrate, you may prefer something else, but that doesn't mean its consoles fault.

How many CRPGs use scrolling text lists for inventory? I can't really think of any. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter's Night, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Witcher 1, Gothic, Morrowind, Deus Ex, System Shock... all had icon-based grid inventories. Icon-based grid inventories are well-suited to mouse controls because you can quickly and easily drag and drop stuff. This is not the case for gamepads.

Now, how many console RPGs (FO3, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, DA2, Oblivion, etc) have scrolling text list inventories? Just about all of them. This is because scrolling text list inventories are much easier to handle with gamepads.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 6, 2011, 15:43 Draugr

Meh, I stand by what I said, the gameplay still looks roughly the same.

I wouldn't say radial menus are indicative of consolitis, though they certainly are popular on consoles

Crysis 1 - radial menu for weapon and suit powers - clearly this game was designed with consoles in mind.

Neverwinter Nights 1/2 - Another title ruined by consolitis thanks to its radial menus.

Just like in these games it possible you won't need to reference the radial menus with proper configuartion. These are examples off the top of my head, no doubt we could find more.

While they combat system has changed up since the alpha video I showed (unsurprisingly) it doesn't appear to have changed much, they may have added another click (not just left click anymore) but, I think thats because they are trying to refine the lackluster gameplay of the first game. I can't seem to see anything beyond a loot screen so I really couldn't comment on the inventory, but once again saying that a list based inventory is only the realm of console games would be innacurrate, you may prefer something else, but that doesn't mean its consoles fault.

Based off what I've seen, I'm not terribly concerned, but I've been wrong in the past (obviously) so we'll see

29. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 6, 2011, 03:18 Jerykk

Just because a game has gamepad support it doesn't mean its doomed to have consolitis, especially with this coming from CDProjekt, I'm far from concerned.

There are several good reasons to be concerned:

1) Quick Time Events and button mashing are in the game.
2) The first demonstrations were performed with an X360 controller, complete with X360 button prompts.
3) Spells and weapons are now accessed through a radial menu.
4) Your inventory is now displayed through a scrolling text list instead of a drag-and-drop grid system with icons.
5) The dialogue options are all paraphrased.

These are all symptoms of consolitis. PC may officially be the lead platform for The Witcher 2 but it appears that they are designing the game with console versions in mind.

Nevermind that there could be a GUI designed specifically for controller use and one for everyone else.

That's a pretty big assumption right there, given the rarity with which that actually happens. The UI in Witcher 2 is very clearly designed to accommodate gamepads. See the list above.

As we can see from this gameplay footage, it appears we should have the same level of concern that we had with the first game, also a PC exclusive. little has changed in this regard.

That video is extremely old and no longer accurate. The new combat system is completely revamped. Instead of selecting a stance and timing your clicks, you now have separate keys for light and heavy attacks. One attack per keypress. Targeting is handled through a soft lock rather than selecting enemies with your cursor.

Here's the latest gameplay video showing the radial menu, combat system, quick time events, etc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUazuUBZ4Y&feature=related

Seriously guys, do more research before trying to refute the claims of others. Just because the game hasn't officially been announced for consoles doesn't mean the devs don't want it to happen. In all likelihood, they are looking for a publisher to fund and distribute the console versions. Given the current UI and gameplay design choices, it wouldn't be a difficult port.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2011, 03:41.

28. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 6, 2011, 00:15 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 13:04:
true, but one can still worry about it, no?

I simply maintain that a GUI designed properly and natively for mouse and keyboard can NEVER work on a x360 controller unless concessions are made in GUI and Gameplay. And this is why worry about it.

You're making an awfully big assumption there. Nevermind that there could be a GUI designed specifically for controller use and one for everyone else.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 23:19 Cornholio

Why's it only gotta be white trash?... ohh nm you separate your trash. I see, got it.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 20:59 Icewind

Acleacius wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 19:41:
Wow, they're going to lose a lot of sales with those specs.

Only to poor white trash that can't afford a half decent PC.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 19:41 Acleacius

Wow, they're going to lose a lot of sales with those specs.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 18:23 Frijoles

Witcher 1 had shit controls. Not as bad as some other games I've played (Assassin's Creed), and I eventually got used to them. If the control scheme is the same, I may contemplate getting a controller.

Anyone know if you can jump in this one? A 1-foot high wall shouldn't stop Geralt.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 18:05 eRe4s3r

Mhh i hadn't seen that vid before.. looks like nothing much changed to w1 then in terms of controls.. well thats both good and bad guess....  

22. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 17:50 Draugr

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 17:34:
Well then they just added x360 support for giggles?

Well I stand by my opinion though - a game can not support x360 controller without affecting how it plays on mouse/kb.

Yes, IGN is wrong. like most 'news' outlets they get things wrong from time to time, or don't update accordingly. The point is, is CDProjekt doesn't talk about those versions any more because they aren't slated for release until they say otherwise.

Just because a game has gamepad support it doesn't mean its doomed to have consolitis, especially with this coming from CDProjekt, I'm far from concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aI6IbuUa-Y

As we can see from this gameplay footage, it appears we should have the same level of concern that we had with the first game, also a PC exclusive. little has changed in this regard.

note: voice acting isn't the real game voice acting, just done for the presentation.

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 17:34 eRe4s3r

Well then they just added x360 support for giggles?

Well I stand by my opinion though - a game can not support x360 controller without affecting how it plays on mouse/kb.

20. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 16:40 Draugr

Halo wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 14:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 12:59:
I said they announced a PS3 and x360 will come, not that they ported the pc version from that

As for source

http://witchervault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=57121

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-cdp-console-witcher-2-may-not-happen

just saying.

Yeah last time I heard anything about the console versions they were put on hold 'indefinitely.'

19. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 16:13 Eldaron Imotholin

Sweet specs! Makes me feel like I still have a day-old rig!  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

18. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 14:08 eRe4s3r

Interesting  

17. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 14:06 Halo

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 12:59:
I said they announced a PS3 and x360 will come, not that they ported the pc version from that

As for source

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-cdp-console-witcher-2-may-not-happen

just saying.

16. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 13:42 Parallax Abstraction

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 11:36:
Which means they have absolutely no adapted gui nor gameplay for the PC version nor optimized controls to m/kb.

Big difference between "supports" and "requires". Consolitis is always a worry, but in this case, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

This. Crysis officially supported the Xbox 360 controller and the game was nigh impossible to play with it. Supporting consoles controller != console port. Given that the console versions of Witcher 1 were cancelled too, I'd be surprised to see this one end up there either. Starting a story heavy series on the second iteration doesn't generally bode well for sales.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 13:18 Zyrxil

I've never seen another article that says the console ports are even past the wishful thinking stages. In any case, there is no 360 version being released even on the horizon, so the pertinent part of that article is obviously wrong. It's from April 2010 after all.  

14. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 13:04 eRe4s3r

true, but one can still worry about it, no?

I simply maintain that a GUI designed properly and natively for mouse and keyboard can NEVER work on a x360 controller unless concessions are made in GUI and Gameplay. And this is why worry about it.

13. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 12:59 eRe4s3r

As for source

12. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 12:57 Goomich

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 12:22:
They already announced a PS3 and x360 version will come, they just haven't said when. So my pills are still needed ;p

So they've ported this from PS3 or 360?

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo