Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence

PC Retail Industry hears from the PC Gaming Alliance on the topic of PC gaming, who say the platform is undergoing a resurgence (thanks MCV). Here's word:

“The spotlight has absolutely shifted back to PC gaming,” said Matt Ployhar, PCGA president and Intel graphics planner. “I don’t believe this phenomenon is going to slow down. A good portion of the companies that are flush with cash right now are coming from abroad, which largely ties in with my postulation about globalization spilling over into the PC gaming ecosystem.”

“Investment dollars are also shifting back largely in favour of PC gaming for a variety of reasons. Most of this is tied to the profitability margins largely favouring PC gaming for the game developers themselves. For example, ‘free to play’ and micro transactions, practically no secondary sales market, and the shift to digital distribution to name just a few.”

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 7, 2011, 01:44 Jerykk

PC has plenty of major releases because the vast majority of major releases are multiplatform. Does the PC have a lot of big-budget exclusives? No, but neither does any given console. The number of big-budget multiplatform games far outweighs the number of big-budget console exclusives.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 6, 2011, 11:01 bhcompy

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 01:32:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 23:24:
Kobalt wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 19:07:
Indie games are fine and all, but people want a major release. Which pc gaming barely has. If pc gaming during a resurgence just means more indie games..pc gaming will never be dead but it's glory days are long past.

Every release from Valve, Relic, and Blizzard begs to differ, at least. Problem is that Valve and Blizzard put out a game per decade

They're also all multi-platform developers now.

With the PC being the lead, or only release such as the case for Starcraft 2, WoW, Company of Heroes series, Dawn of War series, etc.

17. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 6, 2011, 01:32 Sepharo

bhcompy wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 23:24:
Indie games are fine and all, but people want a major release. Which pc gaming barely has. If pc gaming during a resurgence just means more indie games..pc gaming will never be dead but it's glory days are long past.

Every release from Valve, Relic, and Blizzard begs to differ, at least. Problem is that Valve and Blizzard put out a game per decade

They're also all multi-platform developers now.

16. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 23:24 bhcompy

15. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 19:39 StingingVelvet

It's not just indie games it is also smaller developers and publishers. It is also genres that still don't work well on console like strategy and MMOs.

If you want fifty million dollar budget shooters and RPGs though yes, you're right, it's pretty much all multiplatform. They're still good games that are at their best on the PC though, so it's not like there's a better alternative out there somewhere.

14. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 19:07 Kobalt

13. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 17:19 StingingVelvet

JaguarUSF wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 16:09:
Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 10:52:
The only game I can think of offhand that was recently released that was even a PC exlusive is Shogun 2.

Just looking at Steam and Gamer's Gate for five minutes, I spy:
Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops
Dawn of War II: Retribution
Fate of the World
Men of War: Assault Squad
Cities in Motion
1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)
Theatre of War 3: Korea
Europa Universalis III Chronicles
Revenge of the Titans
Atom Zombie Smasher
SpaceChem
RIFT
Darkest Hour
Dinner Date
Dungeons

OMG those don't count because they're not marketed on ESPN or talked about on Destructoid! ARG!

Seriously though, the PC has a ton of exclusives, most of them just aren't mainstream games. When people say "PC style games are dead" what they really mean is "I watched MTV for 2 hours the other day and never saw an ad for a real PC exclusive!" It's like looking in a gay bar for a straight date.

12. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 16:09 JaguarUSF

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 10:52:
The only game I can think of offhand that was recently released that was even a PC exlusive is Shogun 2.

Just looking at Steam and Gamer's Gate for five minutes, I spy:
Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops
Dawn of War II: Retribution
Fate of the World
Men of War: Assault Squad
Cities in Motion
1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)
Theatre of War 3: Korea
Europa Universalis III Chronicles
Revenge of the Titans
Atom Zombie Smasher
SpaceChem
RIFT
Darkest Hour
Dinner Date
Dungeons

11. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 13:18 Paketep

Yawn.

These guys are getting as boring as Pachter.

10. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 11:46 necrosis

bhcompy wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 10:40:
Just as long as the Soviet Bloc developers keep putting out awesome shit, I don't care.
I will second this. The last two good games I have played came out of that area of the world. Witcher and STALKER.

9. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 11:39 Bhruic

Rift. Which is apt, because a lot of what they are talking about "free to play, micro transactions" sound like MMO issues.

Oh, and I guess there's that free Battlefield game, but I haven't really checked it out.

8. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 11:17 Verno

Their vision of PC gaming is probably Angry Birds on an x86 tablet.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

7. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:57 Rilcon

You guys gotta keep in mind that when these people say games, they include stuff like facebook games, a gillion F2P games from Asia, every Pop-cap style casual game ever released, etc.

"AAA" titles, the type sites like this cover, are by number and also by revenue not the largest part of gaming.

6. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:53 InBlack

Like these guys had anything to do with it......  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:52 Creston

“Investment dollars are also shifting back largely in favour of PC gaming for a variety of reasons

Kindly point out where these mythical investment dollars are, because 99% of all games that are released on the PC are still ports that look and play pretty much similar to their console counterparts.

I'll start believing it when companies start making games that actually take advantage of the PC's capabilities.

Creston

4. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:41 justice7

The shifting between PC and Console gaming has been going on for a dog's age.

I remember this same talk when the original XBOX came out after the PS2. "PC Gaming is Dead!" "Long live the PC"

PC Gaming isn't going anywhere.

3. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:40 bhcompy

Just as long as the Soviet Bloc developers keep putting out awesome shit, I don't care. Companies like Epic, Zenimax/id, etc put out meh PC games these days.

As far as resurgence, PCs completely outclass consoles in hardware capabilities currently. The gaming devs I know like to stay on the cutting edge, and that cutting edge is currently on the PC, particularly if the dev values freedom and (as mentioned) flexible ways to get customers.

2. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:39 eRe4s3r

I still don't know what this "alliance" is even for. Is it one of those clubs you say you are part, pay a monthly fee, but never actually get anything from in return? What are they even doing besides pointless PR nonsense?  

1. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:30 nin

"weee, look at us! we did it! hello? anyone?"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo