Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Anno 2070 Announced

Ubisoft announces Anno 2070, a new installment in the Anno/A.D. series of strategy games that will send the franchise to the future when it's released this winter. Here's a portion of the announcement:

Developed by Related Designs in collaboration with Blue Byte, Anno 2070 takes place in a near-future environment where climate change has forced humanity to adapt to rising sea levels that have left stretches of once-fertile land completely inhospitable. Players need to master new technologies while facing numerous ecological challenges to build their empires. Anno 2070 offers players the ability to be architects of the future and create the world of tomorrow.

“Anno 2070 is a very ambitious game that will feel both familiar and fresh to fans of the series,” said Adam Novickas, director of marketing at Ubisoft. “Due to the game’s futuristic setting, the development team wasn’t restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before. It’s a new take on a great franchise that both newcomers and longtime fans will love.”

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 5, 2011, 13:02 Bumpy

Definitely sounds interesting if done well. Will be neat to see what crazy ideas they come up with.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 5, 2011, 12:20 Suddenly_Dead

The detail in Dawn of Discovery is crazy. Absolutely beautiful game.

I kind of liked the DS port more than the proper game though. It's like a mini version of it; essentially similar, but with fewer options (it feels sort of like an old DOS game; way more complexity than a typical handheld title). I kind of get overwhelmed in the full game, and I can never keep up with the AI. Maybe just haven't given it enough time.

16. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 5, 2011, 00:27 Jerykk

Ve3d has some nice screenshots of the game. As usual, it's very pretty. I love how much detail they packed into 1404 and it looks like they're doing the same here. The music in 1404 was also fantastic.  

15. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 22:39 Brumbek

Being a massive fan of the charming historical Anno 1701 and 1404, my first reaction was that this was a joke. My second reaction was anger that they're getting all "serious" with this climate change nonsense and pinko green save the planet rubbish.

I mean "Tycoons" and "Ecos"...WHAT THE...how cliche can we get when in fact smart business people take care of their natural resources so they can continue to do business forever...so this nonsense dichotomy only perpetuates misconceptions...

Putting all that serious talk aside, Related Designs is one of the greatest developers in the world so I'm sure this game will be fantastic. I just hope they keep the charm of the series and forget about this dire "Waterworld" save the planet rubbish.

(And I did wonder how they could make another typical historical Anno since Anno 1404 was near-perfect in scope and execution, so something new makes sense.)

14. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 21:12 gilly775

Waterworld?????  

13. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 19:28 PHJF

Startopia, though that was more like Dungeon Keeper in space.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 18:55 Downer28

Sho wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 18:37:
Absolutely brilliant idea. From the top of my head I can't think of a single other real-time settlement building / economy sim / trade sim game with a futuristic setting.

Utopia: The Creation of a Nation (1993) was a real time, sci-fi, sim city game that had trading, research, combat, and even espionage. Played the hell out of it back in the day. One of my favorite games of all time.

11. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 18:37 Sho

Absolutely brilliant idea. From the top of my head I can't think of a single other real-time settlement building / economy sim / trade sim game with a futuristic setting. Approaching the future from that angle could be really, really interesting; I can only imagine the sort of brainstorming sessions they must have had while designing this. Bet their team was stoked for some fresh ground to tread after doing historical stuff for so long, and doing extrapolation rather than research for once.  

10. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 18:19 eRe4s3r

Heck i am hyped just from their PR blurb. Sci-Fi city builder alá Dawn of Discovery? Hell YES.  

9. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 18:12 Suddenly_Dead

Bizzare and interesting.  

8. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 16:09 Parallax Abstraction

I'll definitely jump on this too if they don't use their always-connected DRM. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood doesn't so I hope that's a good sign. Dawn of Discovery was awesome and that idea in a futuristic setting would be awesome.

Also Ubisoft, I will buy Settlers 7 right now if you remove the DRM from it too.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 16:06 ASeven

Interesting setting for their next game, and here's a curiosity for all those who still haven't noticed: The sum of the numbers in every Anno title is always 9.

If they don't use UbiDRM I'm getting this.

6. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 16:01 Parias

Yeah, the previous Anno game was a lot of fun - being a sci-fi nerd, I'd actually be a huge fan of seeing the same general gameplay and complexity in a futuristic setting. This could hold a lot of promise so long as they don't dumb it down too much.  

5. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 15:56 PHJF

Once cracked properly, Anno is the best city sim out there. No, it's not the most realistic strategy game by far, but everything comes together so well. The first games have all been stellar if not more expansions to each other than outright sequels; it's nice to see them really pushing it this time.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 15:49 Dmitri_M

U fucktarded fucktards aside, I love Anno. I'm a bit surprised by this jump. I hope they're not trying to appeal to a Halo audience. Taken at face value though this could be an awesome proper sci-fi strategy game by a current team that's proven itself. Reminding me a little of Alpha Centuari. Combined AC with Anno\city builder? Hell yes.  

3. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 15:37 nin

baltar wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 15:12:
Ubi DRM is fucktarded.

I have a favorite word of the day now!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 15:35 DangerDog

baltar wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 15:12:
Ubi DRM is fucktarded.

I thought they were easing up on it, first time run requiring activation but not constant connection to their server for continued play.

That's not too much different than Steam.

1. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 15:12 baltar

Ubi DRM is fucktarded.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo