Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kali Port Change

The Kali Website has word that the Kali tracker has moved to a non-standard port, and users of this old-school server tracker should configure it to look for "tracker.kali.net:2213." You hear so little about Kali these days that one would suspect this is an April Fools' joke, but the post is actually from a few weeks ago. Thanks Ant.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 18:06 Sepharo

After Gamespy went to shit I started using The All Seeing Eye. I think that might have gone to shit as well so now I use HLSW.

It originally started as a HL engine server op tool but now works for a wide variety of games. I mostly use it when I'm at the yearly 300 attendee LAN to find games being played that I don't even know about.

Ex. "Ahh looks like there's 2 ET games going, a rocket arena 3, a few CS servers, gridiron, oh sweet someone's got a PVK2 up!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 10:27 Ant

Halo wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 10:21:
I never used kali I think I used a website based plugin server search for Digital Paint and Action Quake 2 and always used Heat.net for Sin. I forget when I started using gamespy.
AQ2 FTW!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 10:21 Halo

I never used kali I think I used a website based plugin server search for Digital Paint and Action Quake 2 and always used Heat.net for Sin. I forget when I started using gamespy.  

13. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 03:40 LittleMe

Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 00:54:
Kali was one of the few apps I paid a registration for back then. Nowadays I pay for more apps if they are priced decent. I still can't stomach $40 for FRAPS though.

Oh and the gamespy 3d server browser? Still 100 times more full featured than valve's crap.

Same for me on all you said. The Steam sever browser is lacking!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 00:54 Dev

Kali was one of the few apps I paid a registration for back then. Nowadays I pay for more apps if they are priced decent. I still can't stomach $40 for FRAPS though.

Oh and the gamespy 3d server browser? Still 100 times more full featured than valve's crap.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2011, 02:27.

11. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 23:53 Ant

Aero wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 23:36:
How's about GameConn BBS software?

Those were good days. Just enough people so that there was always a game of Doom or Descent to be had, but also few enough so that we all knew each other from the BBS or in person. Worked reasonably well too, though every player got the frame rate of whoever had the slowest computer.

Much better than DWANGO.

edit: Oh, and in the off chance, anyone from DoomHQ, The Netherworld or AlterEgo in the DC area? Meet me in (t)elechat channel #1911.
Wasn't GameConn related to SirDOOM? I was on a local MajorBBS that had both Kali and SirDOOM. Fun days. I met local people in person during my college days. Then came LAN parties and Internet.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 23:36 Aero

How's about GameConn BBS software?

Those were good days. Just enough people so that there was always a game of Doom or Descent to be had, but also few enough so that we all knew each other from the BBS or in person. Worked reasonably well too, though every player got the frame rate of whoever had the slowest computer.

Much better than DWANGO.

edit: Oh, and in the off chance, anyone from DoomHQ, The Netherworld or AlterEgo in the DC area? Meet me in (t)elechat channel #1911.

9. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 23:02 mag

Icewind wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 17:39:
I remember when Gamespy was just "Gamespy 3D" and was primarily used by me and my friends to play Quake 2. You know, before it became bloated and was ruined by greed.

Never messed much with Kali. Or Ten or WON for that matter.

QSpy, man.

8. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 21:09 Tigger

Wow, I remember when Kali was one of the best ways to get connected to games. I bought my license after Heat.net went tits up.  

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

7. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 21:03 Coolone

Wow....Kali

Now there's a blast from the past.

6. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 20:56 Ant

Descent through Kali was radical/rad. I played it through a local BBS that used Kali server and it actually worked. C&C:TD didn't play well through Kali for me back then.

I hopped onto Kali to see what's up. Wow, that place is dead. SO sad. At least my account still works!

I still have my old GameSpy Arcade v2.0.5 and it still works. Dang all these old stuff I have.

5. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 19:25 Overon

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 19:12:
Back then you needed Kali to play a lot of games online, it was more then just a server browser. It was a software bridge really, and matchmaker.

Most games only supported the Novell Netware IPX/SPX protocol for LAN play, as that's what most LANs used at the time. There was no 'Internet' or TCP/IP options. Kali would route the IPX/SPX protocol over TCP/IP so you could play across the Internet.

Kali was quite a gem until games started directly supporting TCP/IP.
You are 100% correct.

4. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 19:12 RaZ0r!

Back then you needed Kali to play a lot of games online, it was more then just a server browser. It was a software bridge really, and matchmaker.

Most games only supported the Novell Netware IPX/SPX protocol for LAN play, as that's what most LANs used at the time. There was no 'Internet' or TCP/IP options. Kali would route the IPX/SPX protocol over TCP/IP so you could play across the Internet.

Kali was quite a gem until games started directly supporting TCP/IP.

3. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 19:07 dubfanatic

Kali was great for those games that only supported IPX networks, like Descent, NetMech and Duke Nukem 3D. I never did like the server tracking functionality very much, though.  

2. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 17:39 Icewind

I remember when Gamespy was just "Gamespy 3D" and was primarily used by me and my friends to play Quake 2. You know, before it became bloated and was ruined by greed.

Never messed much with Kali. Or Ten or WON for that matter.

1. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 17:29 RaZ0r!

Playing Warcraft II via Kali rocked  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo