Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned when my hash browns did not come out right last week I Googled recipes to see what I did wrong, which is where I learned the shredded potatoes needed to be dried better. The tip I found said to use something called a potato ricer, which prompted me to ask Mrs Blue, "who on earth owns a potato ricer?" Her answer was that we do, and she proceeded to produce what looks like a giant garlic press. Properly equipped, I used this to squeeze the excess water from the potatoes as the recipe advises, and sure enough that made all the difference, and we enjoyed crispy hash browns with our eggs this morning. Potato ricer FTW.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Bullet Heaven.
Back to the Cubeture.
Stories: Lollapalooza in Chile, a Different Chi-Town.
Wife's faxes helped prisoner escape. Thanks Neatorama.
Cancer-Stricken Granny Tackles Bank Robber. Thanks Digg.
Images: April Fools' Day By the Numbers [INFOGRAPHIC]. Thanks Digg.
Batman needs to toughen up.
Biggest Lie Ever. Thanks Digg.
Media: 'Green Lantern': Watch Four Minutes of WonderCon Footage. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Robot Chicken: Stratego.
How to piss in public. NSFW.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Foxtrot.
How to Detect a Geek. Thanks Linux Today.
Follow-up: Have the Last Four Summers and Winters Felt Warmer? Thanks Digg.
Charlie Sheen Show Opens to Boos, Walk-Outs in Detroit.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2011, 08:31  Blue 

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 16:42:
Ricing hash browns? Blech. I rice mashed potatoes all the time, but hash browns? The proper way to remove excess moisture from any vegetable is to salt it a bit first, let it drain for half an hour in a colander and press out the moisture in paper towels. Potatoes will turn a bit brown but since they're fried up nobody will notice.

To be clear, you don't actually press the potatoes trough the holes. You just use the ricer to squeeze out the water. Worked like a charm.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2011, 00:02 xXBatmanXx

Have the Last Four Summers and Winters Felt Warmer? Thanks Digg.

No. winter has been hell in the midwest the last 2. the 4 before that were exremly mild.

Summers were actually pretty hot the last 2.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2011, 00:09.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 20:36 Cutter

Capella wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 20:09:
I still can not get over the period of time we all live in these days. I have tried to teach my kids that we live in a time of instant answers. Don't know something, google it and bingo, instant answer.

Doesn't always make it the right answer. Nor should they just accept it at face value. Impart to them the gift of questioning and thinking critically.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 20:09 Capella

I still can not get over the period of time we all live in these days. I have tried to teach my kids that we live in a time of instant answers. Don't know something, google it and bingo, instant answer.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 18:48 Cutter

You've never used a ricer before? There is no better tool for making mashed taters and/or other veg. A lot of times I'll throw in some carrot and turnip with my taters to rice up, however. Just doing the taters will make for some of the creamiest garlic mash you'll ever construct. Good times! And I agree with Ratty, I wouldn't use one for hash browns.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 16:42 Ratty

Ricing hash browns? Blech. I rice mashed potatoes all the time, but hash browns? The proper way to remove excess moisture from any vegetable is to salt it a bit first, let it drain for half an hour in a colander and press out the moisture in paper towels. Potatoes will turn a bit brown but since they're fried up nobody will notice.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2011, 16:36 PHJF

Why would I want to be linked to a comments page for an image instead of the image?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo