Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 1, 2011, 12:34 Pankin

Was Michael Pachter actually making sense in that article? And why are those 4 guys on horseback riding down the street as I look out my window?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 1, 2011, 09:02 Verno

My PS3? A fat 80GB one that has been running perfectly for 3 years.

My launch(60GB) PS3 died awhile ago and Sony wanted $150 to repair it. Sony only warranties their systems for a year and they use a similar solder to the 360 which is why a lot more "YLOD" things have been popping up over the past year. Unfortunately non-lead based solders have been good for the environment on one hand but have exposed serious design issues with heating and cooling in some modern electronics.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 1, 2011, 07:38 avianflu

SONY -- nice hardware but they really messed up _all_ of their online stuff sadly. The shock to me is that they never improved obvious problems like the 100% craptastic store interface.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 31, 2011, 23:52 Icewind

Verno wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 22:58:
Most people don't buy a second system due to RROD, they send it back to Microsoft and get a free one instead.

Wish that was true. I bought a Jasper to replace the "free" refurbished one they gave me when I sent my launch day 360 in for "repair".

A good friend of mine had my second busted 360 and fixed it...only to have it RROD about a year later, when he bought a Jasper arcade unit himself. So far, both of our consoles are running, but they still lock up time from time.

My PS3? A fat 80GB one that has been running perfectly for 3 years.

This is why I'll always be a biased PC elitist. A PC can be fixed cheaply and easily most of the time. A console cannot. Unless you enjoy voiding your "warranty".

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 31, 2011, 23:00 Suddenly_Dead

They mention that somewhere in that messy article

So when we look at active units we see the PS3 passing the Xbox 360 in the U.S. in 2014. However, the Xbox 360 is forecasted to have sold more units at that time...actually a slightly wider gap than today.

Although other people interviewed say that fewer PS3s are being sold and the gap is increasing, so... I don't know.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 31, 2011, 22:58 Verno

Most people don't buy a second system due to RROD, they send it back to Microsoft and get a free one instead. The odd time they end up outside of warranty is probably more than accounted for by the people who buy a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player exclusively. For three years it was the best Blu-Ray player hands down and was recommended by everyone from the home theater magazines to the high school kid working at Best Buy.

Sony just doesn't have as strong a brand here as Microsoft, probably due to MS heavily courting the dudebro demographic and investing so heavily in multiplayer functionality(which is immensely popular in NA) while Sony has done shit all with their MP strategy. Sony has a much more well rounded lineup but unfortunately many consumers here seem to lack an appreciation for it.

I own both and still spend the majority of my time on the PC because both of them go through some serious dry spells for quality titles.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 31, 2011, 22:31 mag

My friends and I are not normal consumers, I know, but I know more PS3 owners than 360 owners (here in the US).

But the 360 is beating the PS3 27 to 16 million in the US. And... every 360 owner I can think of (that actually uses their system) has had to buy a second one. So I wonder how the numbers compare for systems that are actively being used.

I own a PS3, so I kinda have a horse in this race, but I mostly use it for streaming media to the TV. The PC's where nearly all of my gaming's done.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo