Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Acquiring Impulse

GameStop announces the acquisition of streaming technology company Spawn Labs and an agreement to acquire Impulse, the digital distribution service started by Stardock in 2008. According to GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines: "With these important acquisitions, we will continue to make appropriate investments related to our multichannel strategy. GameStop is uniquely positioned to be the leader in both the physical and digital gaming space." There's also a Stardock Community FAQ about Impulse Acquisition by GameStop on Impulse saying this should not affect users' accounts, they do not foresee any layoffs as a result of this, and this does not impact Stardock or its current development plans, as this is a completely separate business.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 6, 2011, 18:47 Bhruic

So then when I said you were assuming I was 100% correct then? Okay.

Sure, if you believe that scientists are "assuming" that the Theory of Gravity is true, then assuming is the right word for you to use. Feel free to ignore that pesky "evidence" thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 4, 2011, 15:42 avianflu

very interesting SM - thanks for link! In NYC their stores are closing left and right but it appears this is not the whole story.  

38. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 18:15 DG

Verno wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 11:20:
Direct2Drive is Steam's main competition in the DD space but hopefully Gamestop could put some "muscle" into making Impulse a more realistic option. The client especially needs a lot of work.
Yeah, but on the other hand is GameSpot big enough to start playing dirty and demanding exclusives?

(Genuine question, I'm not from the U.S.)

TBH I'm not even sure if, at this point, gamers need competition from Steam. The only significant complaint I have with Steam is how certain publishers insist on prices that are RRP/MSRP - not a problem Valve/Steam can solve (bar, perhaps, through convincing dialogue). The only other thing I can think of is that quite a few people do seem keen on a download service that doesn't require running a client to play.

Developers on the other hand, they probably could do with having some competition to nudge down Steam's margin.

37. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 15:00 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 07:19:
Wow, you got some inside info there! Wait.. what's that? You have no info and are assuming? Ah, I see.

Don't need inside info, they very thoughtfully published their top ten list. And if you paid any attention, you'd have noticed that the top ten list was almost always their own games. Often you'd see a new game in the list briefly, but they'd drop out quickly. So while yes, it's theoretically possible that their own games were actually selling lost of copies every week, but the more likely case is that it's actually the other software that's selling poorly.

So then when I said you were assuming I was 100% correct then? Okay.

36. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 11:20 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 23:12:
Yay for competition for Steam finally.

Boo for it being Gamestop, who are evil.

Direct2Drive is Steam's main competition in the DD space but hopefully Gamestop could put some "muscle" into making Impulse a more realistic option. The client especially needs a lot of work.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

35. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 09:01 SpectralMeat

avianflu wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 07:40:
given how many gamestop stores closed in the last year I wouldnt assume GS will still be around 2 years from now. I suspect they are flailing/ gasping for financial air.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704425804576220413700005104.html

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 07:40 avianflu

given how many gamestop stores closed in the last year I wouldnt assume GS will still be around 2 years from now. I suspect they are flailing/ gasping for financial air.  

33. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 07:19 Bhruic

Wow, you got some inside info there! Wait.. what's that? You have no info and are assuming? Ah, I see.

Don't need inside info, they very thoughtfully published their top ten list. And if you paid any attention, you'd have noticed that the top ten list was almost always their own games. Often you'd see a new game in the list briefly, but they'd drop out quickly. So while yes, it's theoretically possible that their own games were actually selling lost of copies every week, but the more likely case is that it's actually the other software that's selling poorly.

32. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 04:14 Golwar

*delete*  

31. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 03:39 Golwar

Oh well, it is at least partly "good news" as far that Steam gets a games-focused and financially stronger competitor.

Wardell's claim about the strength of Impulse ain't to be trusted. Smart move to sell Impulse as long as it still had any value. No way that they could have remained on there already weak market position, with competitors as Amazon, MS or Gamestop and others.

Besides that, I'm glad that I only bought less then 10 games via Impulse.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2011, 04:15.

30. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 02:39 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 02:07:
You can talk about Steam having less competition, but the fact is, Impulse was never truly competing with Steam. Other than their own games, they were barely selling anything.

29. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 02:07 Bhruic

You can talk about Steam having less competition, but the fact is, Impulse was never truly competing with Steam. Other than their own games, they were barely selling anything. So had Impulse ceased functioning (ie, selling new stuff), the only things anyone would have missed out on were new Stardock games.

With that being said, GameStop buying them is probably the one way they could have ensured that they become even less relevant than they were. I guess Stardock was in need of cash after the commercial failure of the last two products. It's sad that they've effectively sold out to the "devil".

28. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 01:55 Dev

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 00:48:
OK and your ratio of Gamestop/Impulse games compared to Steam/retail in general is what exactly?
I dunno, I've probably purchased 15-30 or so stardock/impulse over the years and I have over 300 steam. So between 5% and 10%.

I used to get tons of retail PC games from EB (especially the good games when they went into the bargain bin and a few on day of release). I have bookshelves full of PC retail boxes (and thats after throwing out other bookshelves full). Now? Let me give you an example. I got the UT2004 tin collectors that came with a $25 EB gift card. EB got bought out by gamestop. It took until last year (2010) for me to use it. I think I used it on SC2 collectors. The gift card was so old, it wouldn't work in their computer system at the store and I had to email support at GS. They couldn't get it to work either and had to go digging around in archives in the obsolete gift card system they used to have. Then they mailed me a replacement.

What exactly does any of that have to do with anything? Are we measuring e-peen? Regardless of YOUR lack of impulse games, this sale WILL affect the digital game industry in some manner. If GS screws it over, then steam will have less competition and valve can feel more free to gouge customers. If GS succeeds (remember they have a large customer base), they will likely do weird things with the service like pushing harsher DRM, or pushing higher digital prices and convincing publishers not to have good sales, either of which could ripple through the industry, etc. Or maybe if you think GS cares about PC gamers, they could use their muscle to push for less DRM, and better digital pricing than their physical stores, etc.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2011, 02:12.

27. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Apr 1, 2011, 00:48 Cutter

Dev wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 21:49:
Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 21:44:
Does it really matter for the discerning gamer? Hell, I've never used Impulse and I can't even recall the last time I've even been to a Gamestop, much less bought anything from them.
Just because YOU haven't, doesn't mean all discerning gamers have the same experience
I've purchased a few things from impulse/stardock, including Sins of a Solar Empire, Galciv, and some other non-exclusive items. And impulse mattered not just to its direct customers, but it was also competition in the marketplace.
And I've visited gamestop on very rare occasions maybe once every couple/few years(such as when I want to get a PC collector's edition and had a coupon or gift card for them, or when they run the rare good sales for used games)

OK and your ratio of Gamestop/Impulse games compared to Steam/retail in general is what exactly?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

26. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 23:20 Sepharo

Island Dog wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 21:05:
Prez wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 19:23:
This "SHOULD" not affect users accounts?? I'm not exactly instilled with total confidence with that statement.

Nothing is happening with your Impulse account. Your games are still there, and will continue to be available.

What are you guys planning to do with Object Desktop distribution and patching? That was done through Impulse right? I assume GameStop is not going to start selling windows customization software.

25. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 23:12 StingingVelvet

Yay for competition for Steam finally.

Boo for it being Gamestop, who are evil.

24. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 21:58 Prez

Does it really matter for the discerning gamer? Hell, I've never used Impulse and I can't even recall the last time I've even been to a Gamestop, much less bought anything from them.

I own quite a few games on Impulse. I still play Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod, and Elemental regularly. I am excited about Sins 2. I hate this news.

Maybe I'm not a "discerning" gamer by your definition, but this definitely matters to me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 21:49 Dev

Just because YOU haven't, doesn't mean all discerning gamers have the same experience
I've purchased a few things from impulse/stardock, including Sins of a Solar Empire, Galciv, and some other non-exclusive items. And impulse mattered not just to its direct customers, but it was also competition in the marketplace.
And I've visited gamestop on very rare occasions maybe once every couple/few years(such as when I want to get a PC collector's edition and had a coupon or gift card for them, or when they run the rare good sales for used games)

22. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 21:47 Veinman

Well that removes the question of whether or not I'll ever buy another game off Impulse.  

21. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 21:44 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo