Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Take On Helicopters Announced

Bohemia Interactive announces Take On Helicopters, a PC-exclusive non-military helicopter flight simulator which will offer high-fidelity flight mechanics and an open-world sandbox environment when it is released in the fourth quarter of this year. The game will support competitive and co-op multiplayer and ship with a "powerful & intuitive" mission editor. The Take On Helicopters Website is online offering this announce trailer using in-game footage from an early build of the game, here are some screenshots, and here's more on the game:

Take to the air above two beautifully rich and expansive environments, based upon real-world North American and South Asian terrain-data.

Take on cutting-edge technology, helicopters modelled in stunning detail, a large-scale, open-world sandbox and authentic flight dynamics...

Take On Helicopters!

In the latest instalment of Bohemia Interactive's line-up of immersive games, the player takes on the role of a civilian helicopter pilot. Harry Larkin's aviation business has fallen on tough times. Built up over decades, it's now only days away from closure. His sons face an uncertain future, struggling to save the company their father spent his whole life building. Together, they must take on contracts and competitors; together, they take on helicopters!

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Apr 1, 2011, 07:12 Shadowcat

Those screenshots look really excellent, although (as usual), I am unsure how good it will look at low-level. If I can fly NOE with a good degree of verisimilitude, though, then count me interested!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Apr 1, 2011, 04:51 Zoom

PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 13:46:
I remember playing Desert Combat with a purported Marine helo pilot. I was trying to "teach" her to pilot them in the game, which she insisted was more difficult than in reality.
This is quite true, as the sim wont provide you the needed physical feedback that is very important when piloting a real helicopter. The real vehicle will move and sway your body, which makes it a lot more intuitive to pilot.

18. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Apr 1, 2011, 01:16 Kxmode

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 19:22:
So you fly a civlian chopper around city maps? And the game is--how many executives can you get from tower 1 to tower 2 or follow hydro lines looking for weakness, or maybe give traffic reports, or take tourists for rides over Niagra falls??? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!
WTF?--not much to get me to buy--now bring back/update Apache or Gunship (as mentioned) and you got a sale.

Some of us are perfectly happy to play non-violent games thankyouverymuch.

17. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 22:20 nyr27

Unrelated to this game and dev, but I can't wait for this:
http://tricubicstudios.com/combathelo.html
more info here:
http://combathelo.blogspot.com/

16. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 19:22 Marvin T. Martian

So you fly a civlian chopper around city maps? And the game is--how many executives can you get from tower 1 to tower 2 or follow hydro lines looking for weakness, or maybe give traffic reports, or take tourists for rides over Niagra falls??? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!
WTF?--not much to get me to buy--now bring back/update Apache or Gunship (as mentioned) and you got a sale.

15. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 17:28 gilly775

I wish they would do another Gunship 2000. That was a great game!  

14. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 15:24 DangerDog

Uh, an elaborate April Fools joke that just got out early?

I thought their next game was carrier command remake.

13. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 15:09 PHJF

There were helicopters in Codename Eagle?

All I remember were zeppelins. Lots and lots of crazy-ass zeppelins.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 15:05 bhcompy

PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 13:46:
I remember playing Desert Combat with a purported Marine helo pilot. I was trying to "teach" her to pilot them in the game, which she insisted was more difficult than in reality.

You should have had her try the helicopter in Codename Eagle. Now that was a trip

11. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 14:07 Dmitri_M

nyr27 wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 12:54:
I get it. And I agree about the vehicle suspension in BIS games. Don't know why they haven't addressed it better after all these years

Their engine has no support for realworld physics that would simulate suspension based on actual math, hence the mechanical "faked analog" appearance\feel it has now. Either a lack of programming resources or they don't have the cash for third party physics systems like havok or physx.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 14:12.

10. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 13:46 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 13:26 eRe4s3r

Laziness ruins all humor it seems I just post such snappy remarks to get a convo going anyway.  

8. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 13:20 Halo

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 12:49:
Driving seems to be far more difficult than most people think if you see how people drive...

For the record, i made well hidden sarcastic joke about Bohemias ability to make a flight Sim.

Oh yeah I didn't catch the inside joke. Maybe an italicized statement around the lines of " ... and according to other BIS games..."

7. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:58 Kxmode

GET TO DA CHOPPA! Surprised  

6. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:54 nyr27

I get it. And I agree about the vehicle suspension in BIS games. Don't know why they haven't addressed it better after all these years.

If this was announced tomorrow than I'd guess it was an april fools joke, but it seems legit.

I'm looking forward to this. I love helicopter sims. I've got a HOTAS, pedals, and TrackIR all ready to go!

I can picture some scenarios already like landing on top of buildings and such. Hope it turns out good.

5. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:49 eRe4s3r

Driving seems to be far more difficult than most people think if you see how people drive...

For the record, i made well hidden sarcastic joke about Bohemias ability to make a flight Sim.

4. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:44 eRe4s3r

Being funny does not translate well in internet speak it seems... i can tell you though that my neighbor (who is a great guy) is helicopter pilot for the Bundeswehr (German military) so i have a grasp that flying a modern military helicopter isn't as hard as people make it sound. Once you know whats where, and how to read the instruments, anyone could at least lift off and fly - LANDING on the other hand is fairly difficult. From what he told me i would even go so far that anyone could fly a helicopter with a short crash course in avionics. (However, whether that'd be save for a airspace in your country.. probably not ;p)

He flies a NH90.

And to explain the part where i made a funny... Bohemia interactive still hasn't figured out how to implement a suspension in their game vehicles. So driving a car in Flashpoint / ARMA is harder than flying a helicopter... but i guess making jokes of such absurdly hidden type is not a good idea

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 12:50.

3. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:34 Halo

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 12:08:
- And flying civilian helicopters isn't exactly SIM WORTHY Collective, rotation and pitch, pedals for turning left or right, thats it. Driving cars is more difficult...

Oh yeah they're super easy to operate. I'm having so much trouble trying to figure out this whole horseless carriage, I think I'm going to sell it and buy a helicopter for my morning commute. LATER TRAFFIC!

2. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:28 nyr27

You obviously have never flown a helicopter then... or are you just being funny?  

1. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 12:08 eRe4s3r

Mhh, looks good but... ehm.. how is helicopter flying competitive? They have max speed and can fly straight across the lands. Not seeing the challenge there. And flying civilian helicopters isn't exactly SIM WORTHY Collective, rotation and pitch, pedals for turning left or right, thats it. Driving cars is more difficult...  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo