Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA

The Battlefield Blog has word that while Battlefield Play4Free will not officially launch until Monday, anyone who has played a previous Battlefield game can access the free-to-play military shooter now, saying: "All you need to be eligible for this 4 day head start is having played Battlefield: Bad Company, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 1943 online at some point. That will automatically give you the rights to start playing Battlefield Play4Free right now." On a related note, Ben Cousins tweets about his plans depart EA (thanks MCV), where he's helped foster free games, including Battlefield Play4Free: "@bfplay4free launches this week and it's time for me to leave EA. Very proud of what I've achieved in the last 4 years."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 2, 2011, 01:27 Zardoz5

LittleMe wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 03:44:
Tom wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 16:18:
Still have no idea why someone would play this instead of BC2...

To name a few reasons... Jets, it's free, much lower system requirements, easier install, new(sort of) game release.

Don't underestimate the number of PC's out in the world with people ready and willing to install a free-to-play game. There are hundreds of millions of machines out there. Yes, BN's isn't the market for BF2-free.

Jets, shmets, the game is a terrible, watered down version of BF2. For the unwashed players new to the BF series they might like it for free, but for most people who've played a real BF game this game is terrible. I tried it twice and couldn't take anymore. I'll take the BF2 Oman or any version of Karkand over this clunky, slow paced game.

Bad Co. 2 has many, many issues yet they are sinking money into crap like this.... How about fixing VOIP, joystick controls, hacking, etc, etc in a game people have actually paid for! Edit: And stuff that has been broken since the game launched over a year ago!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 2, 2011, 00:09 Suddenly_Dead

They're definitely aiming at a different crowd. When I was chatting with others on the beta, I heard

"I've never played battlefield"
or
"what's {bad company / battlefield 2}"
or
"I've only played heroes"
or even a
"I've never played a shooting game"

And that was in the beta too, I was expecting it to be wholly Battlefield enthusiasts.

11. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 1, 2011, 10:45 Tom

BC2 is only $20 on Steam, regular price now. So is the real BF2, which would run fine on older systems and also has jets. Install through Steam is trivial. $20 is not much to ask for a game that can easily give you hundreds of hours of fun. I guess there are plenty of people who just won't pay anything for anything though.  

10. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 1, 2011, 03:44 LittleMe

To name a few reasons... Jets, it's free, much lower system requirements, easier install, new(sort of) game release.

Don't underestimate the number of PC's out in the world with people ready and willing to install a free-to-play game. There are hundreds of millions of machines out there. Yes, BN's isn't the market for BF2-free.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

9. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 17:52 TheEmissary

I have been playing it lately since I have been wanting to play a bit of Strike at Karkand and Gulf of Oman again without having to reinstall BF2. The maps are somewhat close but they don't feel like the old BF2 maps that we played in 2005.

The graphics feel dated where as Battlefield heroes didn't probably because of the different design aesthetic. It could also be because of the game it is based on is already going on 6 years old and reduced system requirements. It is more obvious in realistic shooters.

It is a fun game for what what it tries to be. That said there are a couple of little quirks that shouldn't be in a battlefield game like fixed or very limited spawns.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 18:10.

8. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 17:16 bhcompy

jets?

7. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 16:18 Tom

6. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 15:14 Suddenly_Dead

Have they added squads, or is it still without?  

5. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 15:09 xXBatmanXx

I played it a while back, can't see myself going back to it. It is horribly washed out BF2 simplified. The 'feel' is garbage and everything is pretty floaty.

Basically put Battlefield Heroes in the BF2 world....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 13:43 Tumbler

Played 3 rounds, finished one, it worked on my office machine which is impressive, took all of 10 min to get installed. Game plays a little differently than bf2...couldn't go prone, maybe I just don't know how? There seems to be a lot of lag, I couldn't hit anyone with my G3 rifle, so I started driving vehicles and using the mounted weapons. The 50 cal on the humvee's was fun to use but damage seemed weak which is what I remember on the original bf2. Was also pretty challenging leading targets to score hits based on lag, again much like bf2.

After the one round I actually completed I earned 500 points which were silver. From what I can see those points allow me to purchase weapons that last for a day or 2. Not sure if gold points are earned by leveling up or only by purchasing but the only option to get a weapon permanently was with gold points.

I look forward to trying this on my home (gaming) pc tonight. Was much easier to start playing than i expected. Feel guilty playing this here, but dammit I'm self employed so WTF?! Back to work!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 13:39 ViRGE

Linksil wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 13:32:
Just tried it. Basicly Jets ruled, no way to stop them with the lag on the servers.
So it's basically Battlefield 2 then?

2. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 13:32 Linksil

Just tried it. Basicly Jets ruled, no way to stop them with the lag on the servers.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

1. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 13:05 Tumbler

Hmm, I suppose I should try this. When I went back and tried to play BF2 recently it was a frustrating experience. Even with steam all the hoops to jump through to get the game working for the first time is annoying and then the game hasn't aged well...

I hope they offer something more than just BF2 free...BF2 is all of $7 new on amazon, the complete version is $13 off amazon. If this is like CoH Online where they just hacked up an existing game and expected you to grind through it like you have amnesia then this will probably fail just as quickly.

If BF2free is all new maps this could be interesting...we'll see.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo