Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hawken Gameplay Trailer

The Hawken Media Page now offers a new first-person trailer showing gameplay from Adhesive Games' recently announced UDK mech-themed multiplayer first-person shooter. The clip shows a load of combat in a futuristic urban setting. As impressive as these visuals are, the clip carries a note saying: "Early prototype video. Does not reflect the quality of final product."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Apr 2, 2011, 12:37 yuastnav

When I saw a video of this game some weeks/months ago for the first time it looked interesting but it didn't quite feel like a mech game and unfortunately it still doesn't.
I'd rather want to play another Shattered Steel or, even better, another MechWarrior. (a mech game in the WH40K universe would be neat, too)

This just isn't the same. ):

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Apr 1, 2011, 06:29 rist3903

I hope they will take money they make from this and develop a storyline for this world they have created. If they are into that sort of thing, that is.

This has piqued my interest.

32. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Apr 1, 2011, 05:40 Zoom

MW2 and MW3 had the best mechwarrior feeling.
This looks like a solid shooter, with good looks and 3 dimensional fights. The models are moving way too fast and too easily (i suspect no torso twist and such) to be any close to a mech sim. Very different kind of games i'd say, although i'm sold on the visuals alone here.

31. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Apr 1, 2011, 04:20 Jerykk

Let's hope that MS doesn't convince the devs to turn this into an XBLA exclusive.  

30. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 20:47 NicklePop

Elessar wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 12:32:
StreetPreacher wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 12:27:
Another quick update. I thought I saw a strong Maschinen Krieger influence in the design (that's a GOOD thing!), and I see from the Kotaku article that that's very intentional. AWESOME!
I didn't know what to call the visual style or who/what Maschinen Krieger is/was, but now I do. I've always been a fan of this sci-fi look. It's like a conglomerate of that industrial Star Wars look, with an Asian influence in a post-apocalyptic environment. So cool.

Perfect description.

29. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 18:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks fun, hope there are a lot of weapon/mech configuration options in the final release.

Hope it isn't a consolized mess when they are all said and done, in an effort to boost sales!

28. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:54 Shataan

For me, best actual incockpit mech piloting feel was Mechwarrior 3. But it totally blew monkies terrainlookswise. Best after that was Heavy Gear 2s mp demo.Too bad Activision blew the actual release tho.

That is what happens when the Suits refuse to listen to the Beta Team.

27. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:50 Cutter

Yeah, I remember Shogo. I was just saying that watching this compared to Mechwarrior I mean that those things felt like big heavy machines that didn't turn ona dime and leap all over like a ballerina. Yeah, I know they're going for a different feel and much smaller mechs, but still I'd like to see the mass and inertia of the mechs mean a litle something more. Anyway, I'm still interested.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:47 Shataan

Ya know, as a Mech SIM fan, I and many are more concerned that it LOOKS real, moves REAL, FEELS real. As in enough to suspend disbelief. As usual, peeps read into the term sim and equate it with it not being fun.

On the other hand if you take a mech game and make it feel like quake, then it is just quake with mech skins, which really is not that fun at all for a Mech fan. Mech Assault, would be a good example. Well, that game was Quake/PACMAN . lol

Hawken looks pretty sweet. Especially since it is the 1st real next gen Mech offering to be coming our way.

25. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:45 Animals for Crackers

Yes, not a mech sim.

It's also not "UT with jetpacks" either. There seems to be SOME amount of system critical resource management/strategic elements shown here like avoidance of overheating, managing use of jumpjets, a more information-rich HUD than your average UT clone, etc. I wonder if there will be energy based weapons which draw from a common power supply a la Tribes.

Hoping there's a bit more Mech sim staples as well that might not be apparent or implemented yet; some form of part customization would be nice, different sized 'mechs' which play different roles in combat, and most importantly (for me at least), locational damage/the ability to target specific body parts to disable unfavorable weapons, abilities, or hinder movement (from this video that isn't looking likely, I'm still holding out hope though).

I also noticed a power-slide-like ability reminiscent of Virtual On. Actually, a lot of this reminds me of Virtual On mixed with Mech Warrior and some Steel Battalion, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This looks like a fun diversion, something different.

24. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:18 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 16:43:
While I love the look and sounds, it feels just a wee bit twitchy for giant mechs boogying around and getting it on. I hope their maps/environemts are quite varied, however.

You've never heard of Shogo? Farking best mech combat ever, and twitchy as all hell.

/Red riot, spider mines, farking giant katana, and, best of all, grapple

edit: Video reminds me of Armored Core with a much more badass environment. Kind of like FF7 cities + Armored Core combat

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 17:29.

23. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:14 Sir Graves

Elessar wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 10:57:
When I go online to fight, I want to fight against people with a brain

That doesn't describe most of the random people I play with online.

22. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 16:43 Cutter

While I love the look and sounds, it feels just a wee bit twitchy for giant mechs boogying around and getting it on. I hope their maps/environemts are quite varied, however.

And yes, bots are essential. Good for practice and good to play with whenever a crop of hacks pops up and you want to avoid dealing with those losers untill said hacks are addressed. And sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with kids online bots don't say things like 'h4hA i jUzt r4wk3D uR nUb aZz!'.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 16:10 Razumen

Elessar wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 14:11:
Razumen wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 14:01:
"Mech-themed" is right. As cool as this looks, and I will undoubtedly enjoy it upon release, It's evident from the gameplay videos that it's really just UT with jet packs, mech player models and a cockpit overlay thrown on for good measure.

Definitely not a true mech game.
Any mech game can be classified that way.

If creating mech builds and what not is how you would further classify it as a mech game, then you should know there was talk of that being a possibility.

Well, (for better or for worse) classic mech games usually do have their own unique, and often more challenging, control scheme. And then there are things like radar management, subsystem and limb specific damage, a more configurable and extensive amount of weapons, etc etc.

I'm not debating that this isn't a mech game, and some of these things may make it into the final game like you said, I just wished they'd gone more into that route than following the usual FPS mold.

Still, looking forward to it and what modders can add on as well.

20. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 15:12 reisub

I want.  

19. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 15:01 Elessar

True, it's definitely less sim and more action. But I guess I would go that route to explain why it's not a mech game and not talk about how the hud determines that. Technically, MW is a FPS with an overlay too. It just happens to be a lot more intricate which makes it a mech sim.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 14:20 Beamer

He's not far off, though.

Strip the textures from the level that make the mech look huge and remove the slightly jerky camera roll and it does play just like any other DM game. It doesn't have the simulator aspect people usually associate with mechs. These aren't slow lumbering tanks they're giant extensions of people.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 14:11 Elessar

Razumen wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 14:01:
"Mech-themed" is right. As cool as this looks, and I will undoubtedly enjoy it upon release, It's evident from the gameplay videos that it's really just UT with jet packs, mech player models and a cockpit overlay thrown on for good measure.

Any mech game can be classified that way.

If creating mech builds and what not is how you would further classify it as a mech game, then you should know there was talk of that being a possibility.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

16. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 14:01 Razumen

15. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 13:14 Tumbler

Very impressive. Can't wait to see the final product. Judging by the "oversteering" when they are targeting I think this guy is playing on a controller? Seems like a fantastic little game to offer as DLC, I'd pay $20 but I think a ton of ppl would probably pay $10.

From their website:

What platform is it for?
This is unknown at this point. We are interested in bringing Hawken to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

How much will it cost?
We donít know yet, but our plan is for Hawken to be a downloadable title that will have a relatively low cost compared to boxed games.

Keep up the good work guys, looks awesome.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo