Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I finally got rid of the pepper-laced suet cake after a couple of weeks, as it turned out to be almost as bird-proof as it was squirrel-proof. I had a couple of regular suet cakes left, so I put one out, and it lasted several days, and I didn't see any squirrels going after it, so I think the peppered cake has the squirrels wary now, which is pretty cool. Now I have a strategy for next winter, as I am going to get a couple of the peppered ones to use at a couple of strategic points during the season to properly train my Pavlov's squirrels.

Peppered Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Rasta Gran.
Angry Animals.
Links: "AKIRA" adaptation courts white actors. Just... wow. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Sex Advice from Female Bartenders.
Science: Jacob Barnett,12 develops his own theory of relativity. Thanks Batman.
Your Next Car Could Be Made From Bananas.
USA admits adding fluoride to water is damaging teeth.
Images: The Simpsons Invent the iPod in 1996. Thanks Reddit.
First Image Ever Obtained from Mercury Orbit. Thanks Jim.
The Strahov Monastery Library in 40 Gigapixels.
Media: The Big Lebowski 2 with Tara Reid. NSFW.
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! Where Are They Now?
Two Babies Discuss Important Things.
Turkish TV Prank Gone Terribly Wrong.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: Escape and Tsunami footage.
Fourth Batman, Justice League On The Way. Thanks nin.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2011, 06:44 Fibrocyte

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 14:14:
InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 10:28:
So about that genius kid, at the end the article stated that he was debunking the big bang theory???

Ahem....April fools fake 2 days early???

Nope. His theory says that there is no possible way there could be this much carbon in the universe with the current theory, and has been working on a proof for that.

You can actually google him and find a lot of information.

It will be shocking, SHOCKING if a "theory" is replaced by another theory.

Oh, and in 20 years some 5-yr-old attending the Chaminade University of Honolulu will debunk Barnett's theory. It's interesting stuff but nothing earth shattering.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2011, 14:14 xXBatmanXx

So about that genius kid, at the end the article stated that he was debunking the big bang theory???

Nope. His theory says that there is no possible way there could be this much carbon in the universe with the current theory, and has been working on a proof for that.

You can actually google him and find a lot of information.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: 868 year-old monastery library Mar 31, 2011, 01:05 theAntiELVIS

868-years-old - man I'll bet they have all the pr0n!  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2011, 00:06 The Half Elf

Sepharo wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 22:37:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 19:54:
What do Japanimation fanatics play in a pool?

Marco, Polo? Nope.

Tetsuo?!? AKIRA!

I'm likin the joke but I don't recall anyone repetitively yelling Akira.

It's Tetsuooooooo! KAAANEDAAAAAAAA!

Ack you would be right.

Sorry only watched Akira once (cause the motorcycle on the box is AWESOME), and I actually was able to follow most of it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 22:41 Sepharo

I'm not really too riled up about white actors in Akira but... neo-Manhattan?!

A story like Akira can only happen in neo-Tokyo.

Perhaps a better compromise would just be a new totally fictional city.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 22:37 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 19:54:

Marco, Polo? Nope.

Tetsuo?!? AKIRA!

I'm likin the joke but I don't recall anyone repetitively yelling Akira.

It's Tetsuooooooo! KAAANEDAAAAAAAA!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 20:20 Cutter

Blue wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 16:00:
I see nothing about Akira apart from it originated in Japan that means it has to stay solely Japanese.

Which follows:

why on earth would they cast anyone other than someone white for a role based on a mythos created and believed in solely by white people?

Sounds like you're playing the race 'tard.

Oh come on, Stephen. You can only take the hand-holding, otter scrubbing, singing 'We are the World, feel good liberalism so far before one starts to vomit violenty and repeatedly.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 20:15 nin

Happy Birthday to the rest of the March'ers out there.

Happy Birthday to all!

(I'll drink to that!)

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 19:54 The Half Elf

Marco, Polo? Nope.

Tetsuo?!? AKIRA!

TWO days till Pinks News and Happy Birthday to the rest of the March'ers out there.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 18:41 space captain

Veinman wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 12:37:
my beloved Akira

one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 18:11 Quicksilver

Hollywood doesn't have the artistic integrity to ever make a Japanese anime work in live action. I don't know why they keep trying, did they not learn their lesson from Dragon Ball Evolution? (stupid question I know)  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 16:08 nin

I don't really have a problem with Thor or Akira, simply because I expect Hollywood to make those sort of changes. Not saying I favor them (or any deviation from the source material), I just expect them.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 16:00  Blue 

I see nothing about Akira apart from it originated in Japan that means it has to stay solely Japanese.

Which follows:

why on earth would they cast anyone other than someone white for a role based on a mythos created and believed in solely by white people?

Sounds like you're playing the race 'tard.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 15:04 Cutter

So what is Akira is using white actors, they're changing the story to neo-Manahattan to boot? No one seems to get pissed when they replace white roles with minorities just for that feel-good inclusivness. Look at them using Idris Elba as Heimdall in Thor. The guy is a brilliant actor and I like his work, but why on earth would they cast anyone other than someone white for a role based on a mythos created and believed in solely by white people? Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. Like Will Smith in I Robot. I think race is incidental for the lead character in this case because it's more about his attitude toward robots that's key in that case. And I see nothing about Akira apart from it originated in Japan that means it has to stay solely Japanese. No, those people are just whining because they want to see asians in the roles regardless that it would hurt the commercial viability of the film here. You can't have it both ways.

9. Re: Black Prophecy Mar 30, 2011, 14:52 Cutter

kxmode wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 11:40:
I got a closed beta invitation for this game: http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/

Heh, I was invited to it well over a year ago. Just recently went back to check it out as it was just toorough in its alpha state. I suppose it'll be ok in very small doses if you love space combat and nothing but. But that's all there is to it. It gets repetitive fast.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 14:08 Acleacius

Anyone ever buy from WeGame online, are they and their download client reliable?

I was interested in the Rift sale, seems Tracking shows my RAM will be here today, sadly the Collector's Edition is sold out, doh.

RIFT on WeGame. Save 28%.

Thanks

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 13:30 Kxmode

Veinman wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 12:37:
I have no doubt that Hollywood will take my beloved Akira and turn it into a train wreck. /sigh

Something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 13:25 Ratty

If your new Pavlovian squirrel strategy doesn't work out, I wonder if you could just throw in the towel and put up feeders for both the birds and the squirrels. Make something extra tasty for the squirrels and perhaps they'll leave the more difficult and less tasty bird feeder alone.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 12:37 Veinman

I have no doubt that Hollywood will take my beloved Akira and turn it into a train wreck. /sigh  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2011, 12:16 JoeNapalm

DailyMail is a tabloid. I would take it with a sizable grain of salt. Not exactly a reputable science journal.

Most likely one of their editors just saw A Beautiful Mind.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo