Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers

AMD now offers new version 11.3 Catalyst reference drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. These release notes have word on what's new or different in the new drivers, which are available for Windows 7/Vista 64-bit, Windows 7/Vista 32-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, and Windows XP 64-bit. Thanks The VidMan.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 10:06 Verno

I don't play Rift but I did notice the same thing with Shogun 2 on my AMD system but I don't see that as the same level of issue you do I guess. I see the same thing all the time on the Nvidia side of things. I don't really see how that or a single BSOD is evidence of "sucking" though, Nvidia's driver release notes are no less full of huge bug fixes and so on. Overscan issues are a common thing with both companies, I've had to reset it every single driver update with my 560 Ti system. Nvidia randomly seems to break media center related features every other update to boot but to be fair they are usually pretty fast about fixing them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if you go back to Nvidia or tough it out with AMD. I do the same thing, I go back and forth depending on who is the better deal. I just see the same sorts of issues on both sides of the fence and unfortunately there isn't any way to escape it really. I have noticed however that AMDs marketshare drastically increased the past year and the number of issues in games has gone down considerably as companies do more active testing involving their stuff.

I think these days both companies release drivers quickly due to the lack of QA done with many PC ports which doesn't help either of their reputations.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 09:24 eunichron

Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 22:33:
The hardware is fine, it's the drivers that suck.

CCC got a big rewrite finally but unfortunately the UI is still terrible. The Nvidia cpanel isn't much better but is more logically laid out at least. What specific problems are you encountering? How do the drivers suck exactly?

Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering not working through the CCC (RIFT and Shogun 2 specifically), having to jump through hoops to get the image use all of my monitor space using HDMI and 1080p, and it still occasionally resets itself so that there are spaces of black bars around the edge of the screen. Now I can add BSOD while installing a new driver to the list.

Which I realize is not all the fault of AMD/ATI, some of it is the fault of game programmers, but my last card as a 9800 GTX that i had for nearly 2 years, and never had a single issue with it. I always buy ASUS brand hardware (motherboard and graphics card at least), so my 9800GTX and my 5870 are both ASUS, so I'm sure it's not the manufacturer... that leaves the drivers.

26. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 09:23 gilly775

I have a 5770 and it BSOD'd on me as well (win 7, x64). Upon reboot, I ran it again and it updated. I seem to recall having a BSOD updating them back when 11 came out too.  

25. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 08:50 reisub

With all these tales of woe I guess I can count myself lucky to not have any major problems with ATI drivers (not used to the AMD thing yet). The only issue I can remember encountering was when Dirt 2 first came out and the drivers would crash on launch. Luckily I found a workaround. A bit stupid though, as the game came with the card. x)  

24. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 03:16 Jackplug

Last time i upgraded my drivers games started to stutter, so no thx I will wait for the all clear 1st..  

23. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 02:00 Ant

zee wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 23:01:
I tried their latest driver last month and had to downgrade all the way to 9.8 to get my machine not to BSOD. I don't know but most of the time the older drivers seem to work better for me than the newer ones.
I feel same, but it is a problem for newer games, video cards, and softwares. Which video card do you have?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 23:01 zee

I tried their latest driver last month and had to downgrade all the way to 9.8 to get my machine not to BSOD. I don't know but most of the time the older drivers seem to work better for me than the newer ones.  

21. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 22:57 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 20:38:

I guess I'm going to have to knock a couple of those trusted friends down to a notch below, "Take what they say with a grain of salt." friends.
Eh I generally buy whatever I feel like, I've seen shitty drivers from nvidia, from ati, and so on. Fine examples include ATI's drivers working awesome with my old 4670 in ME and DAO, and nearly all of the recent(last 6 or so) releases on my 450 causing crashes, or driver restarts.

But I've also seen some real funkiness in the recent nvidia core. A group of friends and I have all got cards we picked up out of the same batch. Mine works fine mostly, someone elses works flawlessly, anothers works shittily and then another guy has his between everyone. Hell if I know what it is, but the latest rounds of cards from both nvidia and ati are very 'meh' in terms of quality compared to the previous generation.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 22:33 Verno

CCC got a big rewrite finally but unfortunately the UI is still terrible. The Nvidia cpanel isn't much better but is more logically laid out at least. What specific problems are you encountering? How do the drivers suck exactly?

19. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 20:38 eunichron

Overon wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 19:41:
eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 18:22:
Great. The driver install caused a blue screen, my first ever on WIn7.

Sick of this shit, I'm switching back to Nvidia next generation.
Something wrong with your graphics card maybe, like a hardware problem.

The hardware is fine, it's the drivers that suck. I have an HD 5870 that I bought last year, first non Nvidia card I've ever owned, because I was assured by trusted friends that their past driver horror stories were a thing of the past. After my experiences with the Catalyst drivers and the Catalyst Control Center I was about to just buy a 580 or SLI 570s, and put away the 5870 for some other project machine. I'll just deal with it until the next generation, or until I can't stand it anymore.

I guess I'm going to have to knock a couple of those trusted friends down to a notch below, "Take what they say with a grain of salt." friends.

18. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 20:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Drezden wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 17:50:
I don't think consoles will ever port fun.

But I don't think the drivers will make console ports fun either.
You're obviously not mashing your A button enough to make something awesome happen.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 19:50 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 19:37:
Why would you defend AMD anyway? They're a pretty big company, they have PR for that.

Maybe I should rephrase that... Heh.

I meant defend or justify my recommendations, when I recommend an AMD / ATI card to someone, and someone else spouts off on how "their drivers suck".

But I agree... I've seen both companies put out bad drivers, and both companies have hardware failure issues. (Especially high end nVidia cards and high end nVidia laptop chips overheating.

16. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 19:41 Overon

eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 18:22:

Something wrong with your graphics card maybe, like a hardware problem.

15. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 19:37 Verno

It just looks bad, IMO, that the last several drivers have to come with a "Hot Fix".

They do it because people requested faster driver releases instead of being forced to wait for fixes when modern games come out and require specific optimization or bug fixes. They used to release a few revisions a year and leave bugs unfixed for months at a time. Most companies do the bare minimum of testing required for the PC and some companies didn't test with AMD cards at all so sometimes they have to issue a workaround. They do that so people can play their games without hassle. If the name bothers people so much then call it something else or just buy Nvidia cards. Speaking as an Nvidia owner who has been bitten by major bugs multiple times, the grass isn't greener and both companies suck.

Why would you defend AMD anyway? They're a pretty big company, they have PR for that. I don't really care if people buy Nvidia or AMD, if they want to be retarded and only buy a specific brand then whatever, it's their money to blow. I'm just stating why they release monthly drivers.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 18:46 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 15:14:
This has all been explained before but - they release monthly drivers because of the volume of games released. People complained in the past that bugs were left unfixed for too long so they accelerated the release timetable. There is a certification process done, partially by AMD and partially by Microsoft. Hotfixes are drivers that fix "emergency" level issues experienced by individual users or issues that were discovered too late to make it into certification, if you are not experiencing the problem they solve then you can safely ignore them. They are literally there for your convenience, AMD and to a lesser extent Nvidia don't like putting out driver updates all the time or something, it costs them quite a bit of money. They don't even require a restart anymore so I'm not sure why its even an issue.

It just looks bad, IMO, that the last several drivers have to come with a "Hot Fix".

I have no brand bias, but it's difficult to state to folks that "AMD / ATI drivers aren't that bad", when there's flippin' hot fix with each one.

Then you got poor sods like eunichron getting Blue Screens.

Even though I run nVidia, I try to recommend the "best bang for the buck" when someone asks my opinion on hardware. It really is getting more difficult to defend AMD/ATi with the latest slew of driver nonsense.

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 18:22 eunichron

12. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 17:50 Trevellian

Overon wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 17:15:
Is this the driver that will make consoles port fun?

I don't think consoles will ever port fun.

But I don't think the drivers will make console ports fun either.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

11. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 17:15 Overon

Is this the driver that will make console port fun?

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 19:39.

10. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 15:25 Ant

ldonyo wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 15:15:
Ant wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 14:33:
Hi!

Is it me or does http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst113ReleaseNotes.aspx ask me to log in? If so, then is there another source to get it?

Thank you in advance.
No, it is not just you, Ant.

When I tried it in IE it asked to download an ActiveX add-on. Since I'm currently at work, I let it do so. Once that was finished, the release notes opened right up. Here are the highlights:

Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 Windows release includes:

New Features:

Seamless GPU Compute support

•The AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) OpenCL runtime is now enabled by default within AMD Catalyst. Applications that leverage OpenCL for GPU based compute tasks will automatically benefit from the significant performance boost that this provides.
Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

•3D BluRay playback no longer displays random frame loss.
•The 8x Anti-Aliasing is now correctly listed in some OpenGL applications.
•System no longer shows laggy performance when playing 720P WMV video files.
•Tearing is no longer randomly observed when playing Bioshock with Vsync and MLAA enabled.
Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows Vista. These include:

•3DMark 2011 no longer hangs on a quad crossfire HD6990 system.
•World of Warcraft no longer fails to respond when alt-tabbing out and into the game when running on the AMD HD6990.
•Mpeg2 Video playback now correctly uses hardware acceleration when played with Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center.
•Youtube HD Flash video now renders correctly.
•Enabling Anti-Aliasing no longer causes figure to have a bright outline in Medal Of Honor Single Player mode.
Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

•Need for Speed Shift no longer randomly crashes during gameplay.
Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•OpenGL acceleration may not get enabled even if selected in Photoshop CS5.
•Bulletstorm may display random corruption when DirectX 9 mode is selected.
•PowerDVD 10 player may crash randomly if Crossfire is enabled/disabled during BluRay playback.
•Playing Dirt 2 in DirectX 11 mode may display random corruption while driving through water.
•Star Wars Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy may crash randomly during launching.
Known Issues under the Windows Vista Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•Performing Bezel compensation on a 3x2 Eyefinity group may cause the bezel group to disappear.
•Doom and Quake 4 may display corruption with a HD 4770 product.
Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•Civilization V may stop responding during launch when Crossfire is enabled.
•System may hang while playing Dead Rising 2.
Known Issues under all Windows Operating Systems
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under all supported Windows operating systems in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•LCD Overdrive settings may not be retained after enabling/disabling Crossfire.
Eh? ActiveX control?!?!?! I hope that was your test machine.

OK, the link works now in my Mozilla's SeaMonkey v2.0.13 web browser.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 15:15 ldonyo

Ant wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 14:33:
Hi!

Is it me or does http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst113ReleaseNotes.aspx ask me to log in? If so, then is there another source to get it?

Thank you in advance.
No, it is not just you, Ant.

When I tried it in IE it asked to download an ActiveX add-on. Since I'm currently at work, I let it do so. Once that was finished, the release notes opened right up. Here are the highlights:

Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 Windows release includes:

New Features:

Seamless GPU Compute support

•The AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) OpenCL runtime is now enabled by default within AMD Catalyst. Applications that leverage OpenCL for GPU based compute tasks will automatically benefit from the significant performance boost that this provides.
Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

•3D BluRay playback no longer displays random frame loss.
•The 8x Anti-Aliasing is now correctly listed in some OpenGL applications.
•System no longer shows laggy performance when playing 720P WMV video files.
•Tearing is no longer randomly observed when playing Bioshock with Vsync and MLAA enabled.
Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows Vista. These include:

•3DMark 2011 no longer hangs on a quad crossfire HD6990 system.
•World of Warcraft no longer fails to respond when alt-tabbing out and into the game when running on the AMD HD6990.
•Mpeg2 Video playback now correctly uses hardware acceleration when played with Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center.
•Youtube HD Flash video now renders correctly.
•Enabling Anti-Aliasing no longer causes figure to have a bright outline in Medal Of Honor Single Player mode.
Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

•Need for Speed Shift no longer randomly crashes during gameplay.
Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•OpenGL acceleration may not get enabled even if selected in Photoshop CS5.
•Bulletstorm may display random corruption when DirectX 9 mode is selected.
•PowerDVD 10 player may crash randomly if Crossfire is enabled/disabled during BluRay playback.
•Playing Dirt 2 in DirectX 11 mode may display random corruption while driving through water.
•Star Wars Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy may crash randomly during launching.
Known Issues under the Windows Vista Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•Performing Bezel compensation on a 3x2 Eyefinity group may cause the bezel group to disappear.
•Doom and Quake 4 may display corruption with a HD 4770 product.
Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•Civilization V may stop responding during launch when Crossfire is enabled.
•System may hang while playing Dead Rising 2.
Known Issues under all Windows Operating Systems
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under all supported Windows operating systems in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

•LCD Overdrive settings may not be retained after enabling/disabling Crossfire.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo