Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice

A press release from WarMouse makes the case for how their gaming mice are the only such products worthy of the category, attempting to demonstrate that other gaming mice do not stack up, and in some cases don't outperform low-end office mice. Ignoring for the moment that their data are based on their own research using their own testing software, it bears pointing out the factor they were testing was multiple button click speeds, which may not be as important in many cases as tracking speed and accuracy. Here's what their internal tests show: "In extensive tests that involved 500-click series of randomly generated commands, WarMouse was able to determine that the 18-button Meta is 30.89 percent faster than the second-fastest mouse, the Razer Naga, and 111.85 percent faster than the combined average speed of mice using a conventional icon and pull-down menu interface." Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 30, 2011, 04:49 Rockn-Roll

bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 14:59:
No mouse wheel? Best non-mousewheel mouse ever made was the Wingman Gaming Mouse. Hard to find, but one of the greatest mice ever.

That would be this one: Other Logitech Mouse

Which is really too small for my hand i.e. with my wrist on the mouse pad and hand laying on the mouse the tips of my fingers also touch the mouse pad...I have to hold the mouse like a dainty tea cup at the mad hatters tea party so I can press the buttons. With the 4-button ergonomic mouseman the tips of my fingers are right over the buttons. Oh...and I don't have that 4th button connected...it's really annoying when I'm in a furious battle and I accidentally press that button with my thumb and suddenly my rocket launcher goes away and my melee weapon is equiped or worse the chat window pops up depending on what game I was playing.

As far as I'm concerned the mouse's primary function is precise positioning of the weapon cross hair...which is best when there's a firm grip on the mouse. Wiggling fingers around to press buttons interferes with that positioning.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2011, 04:55.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 30, 2011, 04:26 Rockn-Roll

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:49:
How do you people browse the internet without mwheel?

Uhm...the defined browser function for the middle button is "Scroll Lock" i.e. when I press the middle button when a browser window is open an icon is displayed on the web page showing the possible scroll directions and moving the mouse will then scroll the page until I press the middle button again, so it provides the same function as the scroll wheel except instead of rotating a wheel I move the mouse up and down. Plus, for web pages that are wider than my browser window the middle button "scroll" feature also allows me to scroll to the right and left. Newer mice have switches on the right and left of the wheel so left and right scrolling is possible thus compensating for the wheel's inability to scroll left/right, but I've always been able to scroll left and right with the middle button. Plus, middle button "scroll" is more precise...I'm getting about 4 pixels resolution on this web page...I can align a web page so that I can see complete paragraphs while the scroll wheel moves the page a large amount at a time which means a lot of times paragraphs are sometimes split up between scrolled pages.

You can test this with any mouse that allows configuring the mouse button actions, for example all logitech mice, by selecting one of the extra mouse buttons (not the left or right click buttons) to be "middle button"...see how nice it is to scroll through web pages with some decent control on what is finally displayed.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2011, 04:33.

Let's Rock!

14. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 15:02 Ant

bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 14:59:
Ratty wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:00:
Got a wireless "gaming" mouse with my last computer 6 years ago. What a worthless piece of crap. I dug up an old, wired, non-optical mouse with the rubber ball and have been using it ever since. I'd like to switch to a modern one - it only has two buttons and no scroll wheel and there are a couple of games where that comes in handy. Get this, in Crysis and FarCry you need a mouse wheel to zoom in with the sniper scope. So I continued to use the old fashioned mouse but got out my worthless wireless gaming mouse and set it on the desk. When I needed to zoom I reached over and used the mouse wheel on that. That's pretty lame but it actually worked pretty well. But I swear I can't find a decent mouse that fits in your hand and doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have a bajillion buttons all along the edges that you constantly keep clicking by accident.

Logitech M100, M110, etc.
Razer Spectre

Ant wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:32:
I hate the mouse wheel too since my disabled hands' fingers do not work with them well. I also prefer big mice with two/three buttons.

No mouse wheel? Best non-mousewheel mouse ever made was the Wingman Gaming Mouse. Hard to find, but one of the greatest mice ever.
Yeah, that would be a good one for me. I can use those cheap generic ones too like from eMachines that I used for years. I am OK to have wheel. I just don't use it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 14:59 bhcompy

Ratty wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:00:
Got a wireless "gaming" mouse with my last computer 6 years ago. What a worthless piece of crap. I dug up an old, wired, non-optical mouse with the rubber ball and have been using it ever since. I'd like to switch to a modern one - it only has two buttons and no scroll wheel and there are a couple of games where that comes in handy. Get this, in Crysis and FarCry you need a mouse wheel to zoom in with the sniper scope. So I continued to use the old fashioned mouse but got out my worthless wireless gaming mouse and set it on the desk. When I needed to zoom I reached over and used the mouse wheel on that. That's pretty lame but it actually worked pretty well. But I swear I can't find a decent mouse that fits in your hand and doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have a bajillion buttons all along the edges that you constantly keep clicking by accident.

Logitech M100, M110, etc.
Razer Spectre

Ant wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:32:
I hate the mouse wheel too since my disabled hands' fingers do not work with them well. I also prefer big mice with two/three buttons.

12. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 11:56 Ant

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:49:

Granted I don't use mbutton3 as often as I used to (it was my zoom key in CS). The WASD peripheral keys and mbuttons 4 and 5 are often enough to cover its loss.
Space bar, arrow keys, page up/down, etc. Yes, I am old fashion. I use two hands like if I was gaming with keyboards and mice.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 11:49 PHJF

Granted I don't use mbutton3 as often as I used to (it was my zoom key in CS). The WASD peripheral keys and mbuttons 4 and 5 are often enough to cover its loss.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 11:32 Ant

9. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 11:00 Ratty

8. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 09:55 CommunistHamster

You don't like wheels or wires on your mice? How peculiar.

I do agree though, the picture of this Warmouse on their site looks like an Onion parody.

7. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 09:50 Suddenly_Dead

Click tests? I've never found a mouse to be too slow to click, I buy gaming mice mostly for the sensitivity / speed of the tracking...  

6. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 04:09 Jackplug

Ive got a logitech performance and its brilliant.. I hate wires and to see a mouse with wires doesn't get a look from me, kb's I don't mine.  

5. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 03:26 Rockn-Roll

Any company that compares "randomly generated commands" to "a conventional icon and pull-down menu interface" as a means of saying their product is faster has some seriously stupid people as their marketing team.

As far as a gaming mouse is concerned I can't stand any mouse with a wheel...it's uncomfortable and frequently pressing the wheel button will put a dent in my finger and make it sore. It's also imprecise and prone to overshoot the selection; plus, it robs that middle finger from the more useful comfortable button that the other two fingers have available.

In 1998 I bought the largest mouse available...the Logitch Mouseman 4-button mouse...here's an image except that it's got three buttons on top instead of two buttons and a wheel: Amazone.com image

Unfortunately, the electronics in my mouseman 4-button mouse died about 6 years ago and nobody makes 3 button mice. So, I ripped the guts out of it and bought a Logitech MX-620 and carved it up and stuck it inside my 4-button mouseman...it's what I call my Rat...it's bigger, meaner, and eats wheel mice as a snack. And, I don't bother with macros because selecting then executing the right macro still requires some skill...and it just exposes more things that can go wrong. The best controls are the ones that you don't have to think about...that way your focus can be on strategy and tactics. That WarMouse not only looks totally uncomfortable and too complicated...it's a wired device which gamers realized a decade ago was a problem that a wireless system solves...as long as that wireless system has the communication speed to match the sampling speed of the mouse positioning frequency.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 04:01.

Let's Rock!

4. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 00:27 Sepharo

I bought 5 mx310's off of eBay so I wouldn't have to run out for a few decades or so.

I prefer symmetrical mice and it's hard to find high performance varieties still in that form factor.

I know I'm weird.

3. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 00:26 Sepharo

Ugh, did you guys move the edit button on me or something? Makin that mistake way too often.  

2. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 00:22 StingingVelvet

I always used Razer mice and was moderately happy about it. Then I got a Logitech G500 and God damn this thing is amazing... now THIS is a gaming mouse I told myself.

Never heard of WarMouse.

1. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 00:05 Frijoles

I have a Logitech MX 518. I <3 it. I only use 5 of the 7 buttons though. I can't imagine having 18 buttons.

Edit: Wow, I just googled for it. That doesn't look comfortable at all. I don't care how efficient a mouse (or keyboard) is. If I can't use it for an hour without getting a cramp, I don't want it.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo