Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: "There Are Lots of Projects That We're Not Talking About"

A Blizzard interview on MCV talks with Blizzard cofounders Mike Morhaime and Frank Pearce on a variety of topics. They talk about World of Warcraft, the Activision Blizzard merger, and their great relationship with "Bobby" (while no last names are used, we assume they mean Kotick and not Brown). They also seem to reveal they have more unannounced projects than is known, as they show some fancy footwork when asked about the MMOG codenamed Titan. On the topic Mike says, "You’re referring to our unannounced MMO project, which is unannounced, so I can't really tell you much about it," to which Frank adds: "And there are lots of projects that we're not talking about." When pressed to enumerate these unannounced projects, Mike switches back to the game he just said he can't talk about: "We can't I'm afraid. But on Titan what we can say is that we think of it as a next generation MMO. We’ve learned a lot over the past 12 years in developing and running WoW, so we've called upon some of our most experienced developers to seed a new project. It’s definitely not going to be a sequel or replacement for WoW. It will be a different experience set in a different world. But we don’t have anything else to say." Thanks Tom via Blizzplanet.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Blizzard: Mar 29, 2011, 17:45 Yifes

Prez wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 02:34:
Doesn't expanding your payroll and the number of concurrent projects constitute a culture change? It would seem it would be a change from "small" to "big".

I've always thought of culture as a set of values and behaviour that people share, and isn't really determined by the number of people that share it. Just like how different immigrants in the US have different cultures that they brought with them from their home countries. So while Chinatown is smaller than China, the culture is pretty much the same, and as company grows from a small start up, the way they approach things can stay the same.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Blizzard: Mar 29, 2011, 10:22 justice7

is it just me, or do the blizzard developers sound pretty high on themselves?

Sticking with Rift thanks. Enjoy your 'fame' Blizzard. I liked you better when you were a small company.

13. Re: Blizzard: Mar 29, 2011, 02:34 Prez

Doesn't expanding your payroll and the number of concurrent projects constitute a culture change? It would seem it would be a change from "small" to "big".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 23:54 Yifes

Prez wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 22:11:
The culture must be changing at Blizzard; they've always been a studio that focuses on only one or two projects at a time. Which, incidentally, is the biggest excuse given as to why Starcraft 2 took 12 years to release.

Hiring more people and having more than 2 development teams doesn't mean that the culture is changing.

11. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 22:49 Mcboinkens

Wildone wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 20:53:
thats nice why dont u fuckin publish something other than WOW then..big mouths

Like, maybe an addition to one of their RTS series? Oh wait.

10. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 22:11 Prez

The culture must be changing at Blizzard; they've always been a studio that focuses on only one or two projects at a time. Which, incidentally, is the biggest excuse given as to why Starcraft 2 took 12 years to release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 21:49 Fion

Lol yes, before games like Guild Wars 2 shrink your already bored and shrinking user base. They fear Diablo 3 will cut into their user base, totally admitting. The first great MMOG to come along will do the same.  

8. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 20:53 Wildone

thats nice why dont u fuckin publish something other than WOW then..big mouths  

7. No subject Mar 28, 2011, 20:14 AnointedSword

HAHAHAHA I love it! They drop the major bomb! They have the people, they have the leadership! The competition just dropped their jaw. Blizzard is gaming! Ok, I feel better!:)

With that said, I argue against it being World of Starcraft. RTS is their third place draw. The Diablo series is more popular in the states. Here is my thoughts. I do not think Blizzard will bite off two mmorpgs at once. They already have one successful mmo with Titan on the way. I believe they are working on another addon to Wow, Titan, Diablo3, and the follow ups to StarCraft2. Just my thoughts, we will see if it pans out.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2011, 20:20.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

6. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 19:46 Jonny

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 17:53:
And they may as well just formally reveal Titan, eveyone knows they reveal several years before launch so it doesn't much make a difference.

If it is World of Starcraft, which even though they keep denying it makes more sense than starting an entirely new IP with a huge MMO, then they'll probably want to time the announcement with the Zerg or Protoss expansions to SC2 for maximum hype.

5. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 17:53 Cutter

Other projects mean what they're mulling around, not actually making. And they may as well just formally reveal Titan, eveyone knows they reveal several years before launch so it doesn't much make a difference.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 16:56 The Half Elf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLTbZbzNLA

WHAMMY!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 16:50 nin

Kosumo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 16:48:
Big money in your world is, what, $10? - You seem to always be looking to get games for super cheap $2 trade deal shit.

NO WHAMMIES! NO WHAMMIES! STOP!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 16:48 Kosumo

Big money in your world is, what, $10? - You seem to always be looking to get games for super cheap $2 trade deal shit.  

1. Re: Blizzard: Mar 28, 2011, 16:41 Tumbler

...they realize that everyone and the mother has seen the chart for releases for the next 5 years...right? We know exactly what to expect from them.

Except Titan, whatever that turns out to be is the only mystery in Blizzard's future. But I'd be happy to gamble big money on World of Starcraft.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo