Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's just a few days until the end of March, and it better get warmer pretty quickly if it's going to "go out like a lamb," as it's supposed to. We had a couple of beautiful days before the beginning of spring, but I think for the most part the Groundhog Day predictions of an early spring were not accurate. It's enough to shake one's faith in woodchuck weathermen.

Today is the 32nd anniversary of the Three Mile Island accident, an unsettling coincidence as bad news continues to come out of the crippled reactors in Japan.

R.I.P.: Paul Baran, Internet and packet switching pioneer, is mourned.

Unsettling Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Red Dragon Rampage.
Super Fighters Rampage.
Loki.
Links: 'Camelot' vs. 'Game of Thrones' vs. 'Borgias'.
Media: Gadgets.
The Least Equipped. Thanks Boing Boing.
Firemen dig 5-foot-deep trench to free dog from rabbit hole.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Amy Adams to play Lois Lane in 'Superman'.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 21:22 Quboid

The number dead was based off the latest BBC article I'd read which said 10,000 had died and a further 15,000 missing, and working from the assumption that most of the missing is down to confusion, people being counted twice and such like. I'm sorry to see this figure has increased (or one, or both news sources are wrong), but it only makes the insignificance of the power station more acute.

As for radiation in California and Maryland, well, radiation is all around us. Me being a thrill seeker, I've boosted my exposure by having had a dozen x-rays recently and eaten several Brazil nuts! I even have smoke detectors! I'm surprised they can even determine where this is from but it's not relevant anyway. If anything, it's an example of the scaremongering that is so counter productive.

The BBC has an article about the leak you mention, that's not very encouraging. It doesn't change my point (no deaths but credit to the emergency workers) but it doesn't make nice reading and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this. (This article repeats the casualty figures I'd seen before.)
BBC News

So for "wrong again", I think "possibly wrong for a first time, depending on who's figures you use, and on a point that has nothing to do with the safety of nuclear power anyway" is more accurate.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: still confident? Mar 28, 2011, 20:58 nin

Capella wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 20:53:
I believe I read today that small amounts of radioactivity are already being detected in California due to Fukushima.

Yea here it is:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576228833487550772.html

It hit California a week and a half ago, on the 18th. It's all the way to Maryland now...

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/27347544/detail.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: still confident? Mar 28, 2011, 20:53 Capella

I believe I read today that small amounts of radioactivity are already being detected in California due to Fukushima.

Yea here it is:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576228833487550772.html

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 20:50 space captain

Quboid wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 15:16:
The earthquake and subsequent tsunami killed about 15,000 people.

wrong again

The number of dead and missing from the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and subsequent aftershocks had reached 27,116 as of 10 a.m. Several hundred thousand people have been made homeless and are living in temporary shelters.

link

Go forth, and kill!

22. still confident? Mar 28, 2011, 20:39 space captain

March 29 (Bloomberg) -- Radiation levels that can prove fatal were detected outside reactor buildings at Japan’s Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant, signaling a partial fuel meltdown and complicating efforts to contain the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

Water in a tunnel outside the No. 2 reactor had radiation levels exceeding 1 sievert an hour, a spokesman for plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. told reporters yesterday. Exposure to that dose for 30 minutes would trigger nausea and four hours might lead to death within two months, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

A partial meltdown of fuel rods in the No. 2 reactor probably caused a jump in the readings, Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said. Preventing the contaminated water from leaking into the ground or air is key to containing the spread of radiation beyond the plant.

“There’s not much good news right now,” said Gennady Pshakin, a former official with the International Atomic Energy Agency. Questions of how much fuel will leak, what isotopes will be carried and how quickly they will settle mean “it’s becoming less predictable.”

link

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:57 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 15:35:
The earthquake and subsequent tsunami killed about 15,000 people. The Fukushima power plant has killed exactly 0 people. Why is this such a scary thing to most people, by which I mean most news media companies?
You mean besides the fact that if it goes really bad there could be parts of Japan which would be uninhabitable for 100s if not 1000s of years?

Listen, I'll be right there at the front of the line to complain about how terrible the news media is in general. But there is a chance for this event to become something that literally won't be forgotten for 1000s of years. Likely? Maybe not. Possible? Yes.

Possible? Barely, if at all. Fukushima is nothing like Chernobyl, which (along with Springfield) is the go-to nuclear disaster. Chernobyl's design had serious flaws that present power stations don't. I'm sure there are things that could go wrong with disastrous consequences, but the chances of any such thing happening are so minute, while alternatives have real problems right now, in terms of pollution and not being actually feasible.

The long term consequences of Fukushima are unknown, obviously, but I'm confident that they will be very little. The workers might face problems, although that's far from definite. I believe the long term consequences will be a greater reliance on fossil fuels, which will pollute more, radiate more and ultimately shorten the lives of about 6,500,000,000 people, all because of a hysterical reaction.

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:35 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 15:28:
nin wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 15:05:
"... Ned Ryerson: I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple times until you told me not to anymore? Well?"
Funniest thing about that at the time to me was I knew a girl named Mary Pat. Love that movie.

I loved the character of Ned simply because he was so annoying. And I think everyone has at least one person they know who they want to tell "Please. Just stop talking."

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:35 Mr. Tact

The earthquake and subsequent tsunami killed about 15,000 people. The Fukushima power plant has killed exactly 0 people. Why is this such a scary thing to most people, by which I mean most news media companies?
You mean besides the fact that if it goes really bad there could be parts of Japan which would be uninhabitable for 100s if not 1000s of years?

Listen, I'll be right there at the front of the line to complain about how terrible the news media is in general. But there is a chance for this event to become something that literally won't be forgotten for 1000s of years. Likely? Maybe not. Possible? Yes.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:28 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 15:05:
"... Ned Ryerson: I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple times until you told me not to anymore? Well?"
Funniest thing about that at the time to me was I knew a girl named Mary Pat. Love that movie.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:26 nin

The Fukushima power plant has killed exactly 0 people.

It's not exactly over yet, though I hope you're right.

edit: I'm willing the bet the people that are working around those reactors right now (trying to avert a disaster) have shortened their lifespans considerably, in some cases.

edit again: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/28/japan-idUSL3E7ES03620110328

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2011, 15:33.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:16 Quboid

Today is the 32nd anniversary of the Three Mile Island accident, an unsettling coincidence as bad news continues to come out of the crippled reactors in Japan.

The joint 5th largest earthquake ever recorded strikes about 125 miles from a nuclear power plant. This is pretty much a worst case scenario. Yet a 40 year old power station has caused nothing, albeit with emergency repairs. Meanwhile, coal power plants send between three and one hundred times as much radiation into the atmosphere as nuclear power plants, depending on what statistics you use.

I like Earth, it's a pretty good planet. However, I've yet to find an environmental group that doesn't have a destructive attitude to power plants, i.e. oh no, nucular power causes 3-eyed fish! Yes, German's solar panels create more power than Fukushima - but only at peak times (when the sun is at it's apex) and that's the whole country versus one power plant.

Nuclear power plants can be dangerous when they go wrong, yes. Fossil power plants are dangerous all the time. Renewable power plants are impractical for the amount of power they produce in most of the world.

Gah! Humans are idiots! </rant>

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2011, 15:38.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 15:05 nin

"Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. Ned Ryerson: I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing! Ned Ryerson: got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson: I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple times until you told me not to anymore? Well?"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 14:52 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 14:46:
Punxsatawny Phil Must DIE!!!

Don't drive angry.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 14:46 Cutter

Punxsatawny Phil Must DIE!!!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 14:11 Kxmode

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 14:04:
WTF, they're making another remake? Or is this a remake of the remake? Further proof that the movie biz is completely tapped out of original ideas.

This is the whole "that last movie never happened" remake.

And based on Snyder’s track record (hello Stupid Punch) the next movie may be doing the same thing. I hope not, but I just don't have a good feeling about him.

Well, in that case, forget the Superman reboot and make a Supergirl remake.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 14:04 nin

WTF, they're making another remake? Or is this a remake of the remake? Further proof that the movie biz is completely tapped out of original ideas.

This is the whole "that last movie never happened" remake.

And based on Snyder’s track record (hello Stupid Punch) the next movie may be doing the same thing. I hope not, but I just don't have a good feeling about him.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 13:57 Kxmode

Jim wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 12:19:

It's a remake of the reboot in the form of a sequel to the sequel. I think... Confused

Why don't they just come out with annual reboots? Superman 2012, Superman 2013, Superman 2014, Superman 2015... with different directors. It's the same movie with different visions, so it's DIFFERENT! BTW one of those directors should be M. Night Shyamalan.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 12:19 Jim

t's just a few days until the end of March,

It was a year ago this week that we had the historic floods, so I'll take the cold.

Amy Adams to play Lois Lane in 'Superman'

Jim

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 11:40 nin

It's rained for the last two weeks, many days literally non stop.

We had a June like that here in Oklahoma a few years ago - rained something like 22 days out of the 30 day month. The upside was it basically killed one of our hotter months...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2011, 11:37 Ratty

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 11:09:
We could seriously use the rain here in the midwest. But then again, it was 36 yesterday and cloudy, making me wonder if we were about to get snowed on again.
I love rain. Just love it. It's kind of calm and peaceful, makes you feel like you're in a little bubble of aloneness. Plus we've had a drought here in California like forever. But I am SICK SICK SICK of the rain. It's rained for the last two weeks, many days literally non stop. I am psychically wishing all of April's showers to you in the midwest.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo