Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending

The Company of Heroes Online Website has word on the release of another new patch with "substantial changes" for Company of Heroes, Relic's World War II RTS game. The full release notes are available, and players can get the patch automatically through Steam. They also note that Company of Heroes Online has less than a week left before shutting down, as the MMORTS game will end on Thursday. Word is: "We will be continuing to support our Company of Heroes retail product and maintaining those servers, and we recomend [sic] any fans of CoHO check out the retail game which includes two additional factions and several units that are not a part of CoHO. Company of Heroes and its expansion packs can be found on Steam as well as in many game retailers." Thanks Big Download.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending May 3, 2012, 20:25 shinchan0s

DoW2 wasn't tactical at all. Another blobfest with a horrible interface. The original DoW was also a blobfest, but it was a blobfest with some PERSONALITY.

Meh. Relic sort of lost me since DoW2. Anyway, the first expansion for CoH should've had Soviets. The British are so freaking bo-ring.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 28, 2011, 10:10 bhcompy

Hey Relic, we need more Homeworld.  

10. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 28, 2011, 05:02 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 00:26:
Take DoW 2. If I wanted to play an RPG, trust me, there are tons of decent ones out there. I want to play an RTS...with base building and research etc. I want to play a game that is about the tactical side of RTS. Not some kind of wargear hunt with boss fights and a bunch of other crap that doesn't matter.

Ahem... You talking about a strategic game. Not a tactical game. DOW2 is an incredibly tactical game. You know, tactics- low level (unit, company, etc) short-term decisions. Strategy is high-level, like where to put a base, when to research tech, etc....

DOW2 is hardly an RPG. It is a real-time tactical game, and it's an excellent example of small unit/squad level tactics in a video game (At least, I find the single player to be. Not so keen on multiplayer).

And it's funny how you talk about Starcraft being a paragon of strategy. High level competitive Starcraft also breaks down into a tactical game: Whoever is better at micromanaging wins. The large scale strategy of what to research and when is more or less codified at the most competitive levels.

Probably the best real-time strategy game right now is still Sins of a Solar Empire. There's very little micromanagement (there's some, but it's not absolutely vital). You focus on general, larger strategy, and the operational theater concepts more than the small squadron/unit decisions.

9. No subject Mar 28, 2011, 01:22 AnointedSword

Come on, let us not act like all RTS games had great numbers when compared to RPGs. Starcraft is different for two main reasons. International community and Blizzard. I also believe having ladders and competition play in SC also helps out. RTS, for the most part, was never mainstream.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

8. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 28, 2011, 00:41 TurdFergasun

well said.  

7. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 28, 2011, 00:26 Slashman

The problem with innovation in the RTS genre is that it invariably comes down to 'make it dumber'.

Take DoW 2. If I wanted to play an RPG, trust me, there are tons of decent ones out there. I want to play an RTS...with base building and research etc. I want to play a game that is about the tactical side of RTS. Not some kind of wargear hunt with boss fights and a bunch of other crap that doesn't matter.

Starcraft 2 kept their formula. And Blizzard sold how many copies? That must surely mean that classic RTS gameplay needs 'saving' from itself.

6. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 22:11 Paranoid Jack

Uh, look around! There is very little innovation being done. Besides the CoH games are what I like when it comes to RTS... for me there hasn't been anything else that comes close to the CoH games.

So, yeah! Give me more of the same with new maps and countries. I'm all for it.

5. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 21:07 Quboid

You want companies to stop trying to innovate and just churn out more of the same?  

- Quboid

4. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 20:20 Paranoid Jack

I'd buy another two or three CoH games if they just made more maps, add the Japanese, Russians, and/or the Italians.

Hell, I might even buy another expansion if you just added the Canadians.

3. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 18:23 Vulkan

"Still some life left"? It's very much alive last I checked.  

2. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 18:09 TurdFergasun

QUICK THERE'S STILL SOME LIFE LEFT IN REGULAR COH. SEND IN THE RAPE SQUAD!!!111  

1. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 27, 2011, 18:05 Wash Washburne

Meh, CoH:On Line was just another wimpy failure on innovating the genera, why can't they go back to the original template of building yer base, manufacturing units, conquering the map?!?!?!
Company of Heroes: Opposite Fronts is the last true RTS game in the whole series, everything else after that, was just a big pile of shayt. Fine with me if you guys want to ruin Warhammer that's quite alright, but at least leave one game that's unspoiled by your quest for moneys....

If it's not broken stop F'ing fixing it.....

How about, some diff game modes like: Operation Stonewall, no?
Some new maps? no?
OOo I know how about properly integrating yer games that were installed from CD and fused with Steam...?!?! Yea that's a probably a big fat NO as well....

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo