Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On EVE Online's Future

This trailer shows some of CCP's vision of the future of EVE Online, their sci-fi MMORPG. There are summaries of the plans on VG247 and Eurogamer, where they offer this report on the clip's reception: "Hinting at an extraordinary level of integration between the studio's upcoming DUST 514 first-person shooter for consoles and its established MMO, the video brought the 3000 attendees of this year's Fanfest to their feet to give a standing ovation."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 21:50 Sepharo

Ginny wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 13:05:
Thats the greatest fear though, the insecure blockheads that play eve's endgame for 15-20 hours a day not being in total control of a situation in dust that might effect the stranglehold they have on the main game were it to have the intractions ccp have hinted at.

I doubt ccp would ever let that come to pass personaly, but try telling that to the average harcore eve player.

That's why I think it will most likely be a market paradigm. There's organizations of FPS players (hard coded faction or player made guilds/clans) that can be contracted based on past performance or the battles happen anyway and can be speculated on and/or influenced marginally.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 18:26 Hump

"A FUTURE VISION" aka: "WE NEED INVESTORS"  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 13:05 Ginny

Thats the greatest fear though, the insecure blockheads that play eve's endgame for 15-20 hours a day not being in total control of a situation in dust that might effect the stranglehold they have on the main game were it to have the intractions ccp have hinted at.

I doubt ccp would ever let that come to pass personaly, but try telling that to the average harcore eve player.

8. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 09:44 bhcompy

Asmo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 05:24:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 02:16:
I think it's supposed to be a comment on the lowest common denominator. They'll fight the countless ground battles while the PC players run the galactic empire and reap the wealth

Would you trust a bunch of random teabagging dumbasses on a mission that might effect what you're doing in game, particularly since Eve can punish players very effectively if they overreach or make mistakes?

The old commander/players hybrid RTS/FPS concept works great if both teams do what they're told. Like playing an RTS where the units just wander off mission whenever they feel like it..

It's not a commander from what I understand. You're contracting with people(on consoles) to fight for resource control of a planet. Mix of Planetside and MAG, with locations varying on where there are conflicts. I imagine the real interaction with people will probably be minimal in game if at all, just a posting on a list

7. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 05:24 Asmo

Sepharo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 02:16:
I think it's supposed to be a comment on the lowest common denominator. They'll fight the countless ground battles while the PC players run the galactic empire and reap the wealth

Would you trust a bunch of random teabagging dumbasses on a mission that might effect what you're doing in game, particularly since Eve can punish players very effectively if they overreach or make mistakes?

The old commander/players hybrid RTS/FPS concept works great if both teams do what they're told. Like playing an RTS where the units just wander off mission whenever they feel like it..

6. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 02:16 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 02:12:
I don't really see how they'll be able to synchronize EVE and DUST. EVE is the most hardcore MMO out there and its audience won't exactly work well with the typical console shooter audience. I'm guessing that the interaction between the two games will be minimal, at best. More likely CCP will just scrap the idea and have DUST be completely standalone.

On a side note, why are they not releasing DUST on PC? It makes no sense. EVE's fanbase is on the PC and they are the ones who would be most likely to buy any spinoffs.

5. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 02:12 Jerykk

I don't really see how they'll be able to synchronize EVE and DUST. EVE is the most hardcore MMO out there and its audience won't exactly work well with the typical console shooter audience. I'm guessing that the interaction between the two games will be minimal, at best. More likely CCP will just scrap the idea and have DUST be completely standalone.

On a side note, why are they not releasing DUST on PC? It makes no sense. EVE's fanbase is on the PC and they are the ones who would be most likely to buy any spinoffs.

4. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 00:07 Medwynd

They may have had nothing to show about Dust but they had plenty of other stuff to show. Just off the top of my head they showed the new turret graphics, corp/alliance logos on ships, the captains quarters, and character generation changes.  

3. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 27, 2011, 18:17 PacoTaco

CCP tried to put a FPS into the PC version for a few years, tossed away an engine they created that would have destroyed the PC game, so they got Unreal3 and decided to make it a separate product on the console.

The connection to the PC MMO the specifics to how players will interact with each other from console to PC is not known to the public.

What that movie represents is pure marketing material to generate interest, they had nothing really to show at fanfast or any changes to Eve so they make a nice movie about what they hope to achieve.

2. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 27, 2011, 17:06 Doma

It is. The console gamers will fight FPS battles on the planets that the EVE players command or something like that.

1. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 27, 2011, 16:56 Cutter

I was wondering what was going on with 514 and WoD. Well, I guess seeing as that didn't pertain to WoD, I'm still curious. 514 is a console game??? That doesn't seem to make much sense. You sure that's correct, Blue?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo