Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here the list of the ten bestselling games on Valve's Steam service for the week:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike Content Pack
  2. Total War: SHOGUN 2
  3. Portal 2
  4. Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
  5. Homefront
  6. Gothic Complete Pack
  7. Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
  8. Dragon Age II
  9. RIFT
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 16:14 bhcompy

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 11:48:
Most people who bash CoD never even played the freakin' game, so don't listen to the naysayers.

The modern ones are fun single, but the multi is ass. The stupid killstreak bonuses, the nade spam, etc. The consolization of the game has harmed the playability of it. It's fine that it's not old-school tactical rainbow 6, but it would be better with a bit more CS flair, more dependent on gunskill than what upgrades you have and your killstreak bonuses.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 16:09 Verno

By continuing to fall in the placing until it's off the list  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 15:10 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 09:15:
Nice to see Dragon Age II getting the treatment it deserves after they rushed out a repetitive, poorly executed sequel.

By continuing to sell well enough to be in the top 10 every week?

Creston

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 12:18 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 11:48:
Most people who bash CoD never even played the freakin' game, so don't listen to the naysayers.

With 8 games released over the past 8 years, I find it highly unlikely that anyone hasn't played at least one of the games. And that's all you really need to play, since the formula hasn't changed.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 12:16 Verno

Judging by its ridiculous sales figures I don't see how that could possibly be true.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 11:48 Steele Johnson

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 09:46 LoyBoy

I`m surprised to see COD Black Ops Map Pack at the top since you can choose s server hosting your favorite map instead waiting for a rotation like in MW2.

I thought the leeches had finally dropped the ball. I guess people will pay for anything COD.

Must admit if they had included cool small maps like Nuke Town I would have paid the $$.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 09:15 Verno

Nice to see Dragon Age II getting the treatment it deserves after they rushed out a repetitive, poorly executed sequel.  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 05:02 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 04:40:
Dev wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 00:38:
I'm fairly sure that its total copies sold, not revenue especially given that I've seen some quite low priced sale stuff hit the top 10.

Not gonna search for it but I have read before it's based on how much money they are making, not units sold.

The daily top sellers list which you can see on the Steam homepage is ordered by units sold. That changes every few hours. The weekly list that comes on Sunday through the RSS feed is based on weekly revenue. If you have seen low priced stuff hit the weekly top sellers list, it's because it sold that well

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 04:40 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 00:38:
spindoctor wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 16:56:
I guess they count pre-orders as well in this list (seeing Portal 2 is on it). Since the list is based on total revenue earned, the Black Ops map pack would have to sell something like 4 times as many copies as the next one on the list (Shogun 2). I wonder if the multiple exceeds exceeds even that minimum requirement.

I'm fairly sure that its total copies sold, not revenue especially given that I've seen some quite low priced sale stuff hit the top 10.

Not gonna search for it but I have read before it's based on how much money they are making, not units sold.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 00:38 Dev

spindoctor wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 16:56:
I guess they count pre-orders as well in this list (seeing Portal 2 is on it). Since the list is based on total revenue earned, the Black Ops map pack would have to sell something like 4 times as many copies as the next one on the list (Shogun 2). I wonder if the multiple exceeds exceeds even that minimum requirement.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 22:57 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 21:45:
I expected either Shogun and Crysis 2 to be 1 and 2. It boggles this fogey gamers mind that people pay 15 bucks for maps. Was it really so long ago when modders use to give us free awesome maps by the boatload that everyone is okay with this now?

Like CoD all you want, but this is a trend that makes me so mad I could spit.

**Putooey!!!** See?

Well luckily the majority of PC MP FPS players still get those free awesome maps by the boatload thanks to CS and CS:S

Now Valve needs to hire up the best and the brightest and get to working on CS2 or some other successor that blows away CoD:2K12 while remaining community accessible and mod friendly.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 21:45 Prez

I expected either Shogun and Crysis 2 to be 1 and 2. It boggles this fogey gamers mind that people pay 15 bucks for maps. Was it really so long ago when modders use to give us free awesome maps by the boatload that everyone is okay with this now?

Like CoD all you want, but this is a trend that makes me so mad I could spit.

**Putooey!!!** See?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 20:54 Jerykk

Sure, we may be able to rip into it due to any number of issues, but Treyarch did a solid job of putting out a game that appealed directly to its previous fanbase, and improved on the formula in a number of small but collectively important ways. It's what everyone keeps saying they want from developers, yet we get it and because it doesn't fit into what we, individually, think the whole game industry should be doing, then it's a hack cash-in that's destroying gaming as we know it.

It's really not that hard to understand the hatred towards CoD. CoD1 came out, what, 8 years ago? Since then we've seen 7 sequels, with the single-player campaign getting shorter in each one. People like to criticize the Tomb Raider series for lack of innovation but CoD pretty much takes the cake. You also have to consider the negative influence that CoD has had on the market as a whole:

1) $60 for PC games is now a standard practice by Activision and EA.
2) Inherently unbalanced ranking and unlockable systems now exist in every multiplayer game.
3) 4-5 hours is quickly becoming standard for single-player campaigns.
4) Most shooters involve American soldiers fighting against terrorists or communists.
5) Publishers now consider multiplayer an integral part of all games, even those games where it is completely unnecessary and only takes time and resources away from the single-player portion.
6) Charging $15 for a map pack is considered acceptable.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 19:25 Evil Timmy

Yeah, this anti-Black Ops sentiment is ridiculously prevalent, and I wonder how much of it is really based on the game, and how much is just a categorical hatred (or WoW-esque hatred due to popularity). Sure, the single player is relentlessly linear, but they've at least moved towards Tom Clancy/Clive Cussler storytelling from a Michael Bay war-wank explosion-fest. The multiplayer is as boring and repetitive as every other MP game, except they've tuned the system of carrots very finely to keep people coming back. Most of my Xbox-owning friends have CoDBO in their tray more than everything else combined.

Sure, we may be able to rip into it due to any number of issues, but Treyarch did a solid job of putting out a game that appealed directly to its previous fanbase, and improved on the formula in a number of small but collectively important ways. It's what everyone keeps saying they want from developers, yet we get it and because it doesn't fit into what we, individually, think the whole game industry should be doing, then it's a hack cash-in that's destroying gaming as we know it. Cut down on the drama queen and maybe the "morons" who bought the game might be a little more willing to have their ear bent when it comes to the future of gaming.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 19:25 Jerykk

PC Gamer gave Black Ops shooter of the year over Bad Company 2.

PC Gamer also said DA2 was better than DAO.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 19:07 Ventura

"Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike Content Pack"

For Pete's sakes people, stop buying this crap and enabling developers.

Like the guy in the other thread, I'm guessing you've not actually played it either, which makes you the last person to be able to comment on its quality.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 18:49 Bucky

I've passed on Homefront and Crysis 2, both due to word of mouth and reviews. I burned myself out on CoD months ago, and I wouldn't pay for the map pack even if I was still playing.

I'll use Dragon Age 2 and Portal 2 to hold me over until Brink finally gets here.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 18:42 StingingVelvet

Vulkan wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 18:25:

Maybe people don't agree with you that it's crap... SHOCKER.

PC Gamer gave Black Ops shooter of the year over Bad Company 2.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 18:25 Vulkan

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo