Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game of Thrones RPG Plans

French site FactorNews has details (in French) on a Game of Thrones RPG in the works at Cyanide, in addition to the previously announced A Song of Ice and Fire-based RTS game A Game of Thrones - Genesis. The project does not yet carry a release date, but they have word from Cyanide on the story, as they say (courtesy of Google Translate): "Cyanide has chosen to make an RPG strongly narrative, citing Planescape - Torment, Baldur's Gate II or KOTOR as an example." Thanks Joystiq/Big Download.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 bhcompy

UConnBBall wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 17:04:
How is this IP a good fit for a MMO of any kind or even a video game???? It's a great series because it's different and is not a action based narrative. It's politics and intrigue.

Game of Thrones - Living Card Game by Fantasy Flight is an awesome game that feels like you are playing a game based on the series. If you haven't given it a try head down to Barnes and Nobles and buy the core set. It's $40 and plays great. Any action based game would not be this series.

Personally, this would be great for an RTS(Total War type of course). You have a very well defined map, you have defined kingdoms with particular skills/resources, etc.

As far as an RPG, an RPG that follows the story will be boring, but an RPG that occurs within the rich world will not be. Similar to KOTOR, set an RPG within a well defined and vibrant world and you have the basis for building a winner.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 10:55 Akuinnen

nutshell42 wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:44:
I'm used to video game kill counts and the countless acts of debauchery, sex and incest simply don't break through my ennui.

You forgot rape and rape.

20. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 10:44 finga

yuastnav wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 09:59:
finga wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:56:
[...] (Hint: don't use a Euro-format date on a primarily-American message board )[...]

Don't use a format that makes sense. Use one that doesn't make sense. Got it!

People should seriously consider using ISO 8601, though.
Or just go long-form so that there's no confusion.

19. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 09:59 yuastnav

finga wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:56:
[...] (Hint: don't use a Euro-format date on a primarily-American message board )[...]

Don't use a format that makes sense. Use one that doesn't make sense. Got it!

People should seriously consider using ISO 8601, though.

18. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 08:50 El Pit

Elim wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 05:13:
Oh my god, this can be a REAL Rpg, not that Dragon Age 2 Crap.
Dialoge rocks, who here played Torment?
i did, and it was great, you could play it without fighting.
And its no "epic save the world/city whatever" rubbish.

Oh, I feel relly bad now, because I like to fight in RPGs, and I love to do something meaningful like saving the world, the princess, for king and country, and so on. I loved the classic AD&D RPGs on my C64 like "Curse of the Azure Bonds", "Pool of Radiance", etc. Am I the bad guy now, because I honestly didn't enjoy reading "Planescape Torment"? Well, I can live with being the bad guy.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 05:13 Elim

Oh my god, this can be a REAL Rpg, not that Dragon Age 2 Crap.
Dialoge rocks, who here played Torment?
i did, and it was great, you could play it without fighting.
And its no "epic save the world/city whatever" rubbish.

16. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 04:48 nutshell42

Kedyn wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 20:56:
You know, I don't remember a single actual battle in the book - just characters telling each other about them after the fact. Makes me think of Julius Caesar. I might have to reread these books...

Spoiler's ahead for the first four books - for obvious reasons.

We get a first person POV at

1. The Fist of the First Men
2. Wildlings vs. Wall
3. The Whispering Woods
4. Battle of Riverrun (I think. There was a second battle in the Riverlands, not sure which though)
5. The Red Wedding (There's an Arya chapter for the battle outside)
6. The Blackwater
7. Astapor
8. Yunkai
9. Meereen
10. The Stepstones (I think. Whatever that sea battle in AFfC was)

Not quite as clear cut or unspecified:
One of the Ironmen vs. Stark battles (not sure which, most where off screen, but I distinctly remember someone scaling some walls somewhere)
The Trident (not really on screen but effectively told that way a number of times)
The High Road (yeah, it's more of a "battle")
Mob vs. Lannisters in King's Landing
The Siege of Storm's End

Makes me think of Julius Caesar

That way you discount every single fscking book that's told by a third person narrator (or even first person if it's "tales" or "chronicles" style), no matter how detailed or gory the battles.
Caesar goes into quite some detail on what he did and what his army did. Have you even read the books?

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2011, 06:51.

15. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 02:23 Jono

I got quite astounded at that rippof remark. I have read the books and played the games and found no likeness what so ever. DA has elves and dwarves and religion based on Andraste and her crusade against the blodmages Tevinter empire. ASOIAF has humans (and dragons) and a huge wall shielding against "others". The rustic kings of the north has overthrown the old rulers and taken the "dragon throne". No elves no dwarves, no magicians, no templars. The only thing i can think of that's similar is "wardens" fighting "others" and watching out for a blight. But apart from the words even that thread has no similarities to DA.
But there are probably similarities i've missed so please fill me

14. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 23:46 saluk

From the joystiq article it sounds nothing like King's Bounty. They are comparing it to the witcher, where the action is realtime, but you can pause and "choose skills and direct traffic". They call it pseudo turn based, which is fair.

It also sounds like they are creating new characters that you play alongside the story from the books, which I think is the right approach.

But for a small studio like Cyanide to take on two games simultaneously in a much-loved yet complex and rich world which doesn't directly seem to lend itself well to a game adaptation? Count me skeptical, but worth at least paying attention to.

Other than a bit more magic, I did find the original Dragon Age to be a bit of an ASOIAF rip off. I would be shocked to find out someone involved with that game did not read the books. To be fair it ripped off a lot of other fantasy as well, but there were certain elements that just FELT grrm to me.

13. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 21:17 HeadWound

Kedyn wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 20:56:
You know, I don't remember a single actual battle in the book - just characters telling each other about them after the fact. Makes me think of Julius Caesar. I might have to reread these books...

In addition to various personal combats and tourneys, the first 3 books had some major fights "on screen"

A Game of Thrones- Battle of the Green fork

A Storm of Swords- Battle of the Blackwater

A Clash of Kings had the Red Wedding, the siege of the Wall by the Wildlings and then there was all of Dany's battles, especially Mereen.

12. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 20:56 Kedyn

nutshell42 wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:44:
JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 16:59:
A Game of Thrones RPG will feature no combat, just 100s of pages of dialogue.

Yeah, there wasn't a single battle in the first four books, apart from the dozen that were.

A duel, tourney, murder or assassination every twenty pages is just not enough to keep me interested. I'm used to video game kill counts and the countless acts of debauchery, sex and incest simply don't break through my ennui.

11. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 19:34 Jerykk

How is this IP a good fit for a MMO of any kind or even a video game???? It's a great series because it's different and is not a action based narrative. It's politics and intrigue.

The majority of Planescape Torment was just talking. It worked because the writing was so good. In fact, any good RPG should allow you talk your way through it.

On a side note, VG247 reports that it will be a turn-based RPG. I assume that means it'll have more in common with King's Bounty than any of the games they mentioned.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2011, 19:57.

10. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:56 finga

peteham wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:37:
Kedyn wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:06:
Either way, it'll probably come out before George R. R. Martin finishes the next book.
He's actually set a date now, believe it or not. 12.07.2011. See http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

I still won't believe it until I see it
For those who don't click, it's important to point out that the date is the 12th of July, not the 7th of December. (Hint: don't use a Euro-format date on a primarily-American message board )

As an aside, this is the first time he has ever announced a precise date for this book, so he must actually believe he can make it.

9. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:52 Dades

The game will feature an 8 year break between chapters.

8. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:44 nutshell42

Yeah, there wasn't a single battle in the first four books, apart from the dozen that were.

A duel, tourney, murder or assassination every twenty pages is just not enough to keep me interested. I'm used to video game kill counts and the countless acts of debauchery, sex and incest simply don't break through my ennui.

7. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:37 peteham

Kedyn wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:06:
Either way, it'll probably come out before George R. R. Martin finishes the next book.
He's actually set a date now, believe it or not. 12.07.2011. See http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

I still won't believe it until I see it

6. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:06 Kedyn

5. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 17:04 UConnBBall

Game of Thrones - Living Card Game by Fantasy Flight is an awesome game that feels like you are playing a game based on the series. If you haven't given it a try head down to Barnes and Nobles and buy the core set. It's $40 and plays great. Any action based game would not be this series.

4. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 16:59 JohnBirshire

3. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 16:51 Tehol

winter is coming.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo