Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have a good handle on cooking most basic breakfast dishes, including both stove-top and oven-baked omelets. For some reason I never tried hash browns before today, in spite of how much I enjoy them. Unfortunately my overconfidence that this would be simple caused me to take a whack at them without checking a recipe first, and they turned out terrible. The problem was not the ingredients, but my failure to appreciate the key element being drying the potatoes as well as possible before frying them, which caused them to be a soggy mess. MrsBlue was nice about them, saying she enjoyed them nonetheless, but is insisting I wait until next weekend before trying again. I'm really eager to try again, have to agree it is probably wise to avoiding overdoing the whole fried potatoes thing.

Fried Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Panzertroopers.
Mario and Friends Tower Defense.
World of Science.
Stories: Defecating dog sparks US shootout.
Teen break-in leads to weeklong party, complete with live bands: cops. Thanks Devicer.
NASA's "images" of life on Mars circa 1975.
Media: Mitchell and Webb - Arse Store (Apple Store Parody).
Tron Uprising 2011 New HD Animated Trailer.
NFL lockout could mean disaster for 2011 season.
Auction: Steve McQueen’s ‘Le Mans’ Porsche 911S to be auctioned.
Follow-up: Stardust, NASA's Comet-Hunting Spaceship, Shuts Down.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Misc Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 Beamer

Cutter's actually become much worse than Space Captain lately.

I'd also like to remind people he's Canadian.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Misc Mar 31, 2011, 02:16 Nucas

space captain wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 13:20:
Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 00:35:
Really? Provide us some examples. And know that regardless of what you provide I can provide them about the US on the scale of about 100 to 1. So yeah, you're right, not only in America...just mostly in America.

what a dumbfuck

there was a time i actually didn't like space captain.. looking back, i really can't think of why.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2011, 15:17 Tim Collins

Cooking good hash browns is an art. Using oil and a cast iron skillet, oil temp is critical to get a nice crisp without burning.  

17. Re: Misc Mar 27, 2011, 13:20 space captain

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 00:35:
Really? Provide us some examples. And know that regardless of what you provide I can provide them about the US on the scale of about 100 to 1. So yeah, you're right, not only in America...just mostly in America.

what a dumbfuck

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2011, 12:14 Enahs

I got a free copy with Portal preorder, but I of course already have Portal, so I can gift it.  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Misc Mar 27, 2011, 11:02 PHJF

I hear that in the Muslim world drawing a picture of some dead guy is good enough to get you killed.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Misc Mar 27, 2011, 00:35 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 21:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 16:31:
Two neighbours in the US state of Mississippi drew weapons and fired at each other as an argument over a defecating dog ran out of control.

Only in America.

Um, no, not really. I've got a buddy in the USAF, and he's been to all sorts of nice places where your neighbor will kill you for a lot less.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 23:06 Hump

The type of potato is important. Some types stay an appetizing snowy-white throughout the cooking process while others turn a disgusting grey. Also, keep 'em thin, don't use butter for cooking. Use veg oil or margarine (not the "spread" thats passed off as margarine nowadays which is mainly composed of water, use corn oil margarine).  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: Misc Mar 26, 2011, 21:31 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 16:31:
Two neighbours in the US state of Mississippi drew weapons and fired at each other as an argument over a defecating dog ran out of control.

Only in America.

Um, no, not really. I've got a buddy in the USAF, and he's been to all sorts of nice places where your neighbor will kill you for a lot less.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 21:26 Kxmode

Surely you jest.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 19:15 The Half Elf

But why would they clone Enahs?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 18:55 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:52:
Enahs... how can you possibly be giving away gaming awesomeness? You're the evil bastard child of Bluesnews, and you hate everyone!

It might be a duplicate.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 18:52 The Half Elf

Enahs... how can you possibly be giving away gaming awesomeness? You're the evil bastard child of Bluesnews, and you hate everyone!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 18:30 Enahs

Anybody need or want Portal? I got a free copy to give away. Anyone? Know someone. Email me.  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 17:55 Hoop

So close Blue, lets face it sounds like you made a hash of them.
*Ba dum ching*
Thank you I'll be here all week.

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 17:28 Kxmode

Cooking with Blue! It's an adventure.  

4. Misc Mar 26, 2011, 16:31 Cutter

Only in America.

Piranhaconda? Not bad. Not as good as the Sharktopus, but hey, what is?

Can I haz Steve McQueen's porsche plz?

If there's an NFL lockout it's only because everyone is afraid Green Bay will win again!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: hash browns Mar 26, 2011, 16:24 Lesaonar

One of the best ways to dry the potatoes is just put them in the fridge for an hour or 2 on a cookie sheet, especially if you've steamed them 1st. If you boil them you'll need even more time. Steam>boil.

If we're talking the shredded type of hashbrown. Shred your potatoes onto a clean cloth, pull up the 4 corners and start twisting/squeezing out as much moisture as you can.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2011, 16:29.

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 16:21 Cutter

Oven roast them, Blue. Most restos always do taters roasted as you never get the same sort of evenness by pan-frying and it tends to "sweat" the spuds which makes them gluey and soggy from the starches. You don't need to dry them either. Just dice, toss in bowl, oil lightly with a neutral oil (e.g. canola, safflower), spread evenly on baking sheet/pan, salt them. Throw oven on full whack - 500 - to preheat, toss pan in heated oven and immediately drop the temp to 400, cook for 20 - 30 mins tossing once or twice.

You can also get creative and season them up with all manner of herbs and spices. I generally go with rosemary meself.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2011, 15:06 PHJF

Qadaffi or Gadhafi?

Who the hell knows anymore.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo